Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

I've been away from magic for a loooong time, and last I checked,
black-backed sleeves were brand-new nifty, possibly tournament illegal for
a bit, and your opponent could still ask you to desleeve and you had to
have a legal, unmarked deck then. Nowadays, it appears that the last bit,
at least, is no longer true? What's the current status of badly-played (to
be considered marked if the rear were visible) and/or Alpha-cornered
cards? Google is not being helpful right now.

Jasper

Jasper Janssen <jasper@jjanssen.org> wrote:

> I've been away from magic for a loooong time, and last I checked,
> black-backed sleeves were brand-new nifty, possibly tournament illegal for
> a bit, and your opponent could still ask you to desleeve and you had to
> have a legal, unmarked deck then. Nowadays, it appears that the last bit,
> at least, is no longer true? What's the current status of badly-played (to
> be considered marked if the rear were visible) and/or Alpha-cornered
> cards? Google is not being helpful right now.
>
> Jasper

General status of sleeves from the Universal Tournament Rules (note
especially the second paragraph in 44):

35. Card Sleeves
Players may use plastic card sleeves or other protective devices on
cards. If a player chooses to use card sleeves, all cards in the
player's current deck must be placed in the sleeves in an identical
manner. If the sleeves feature holograms or other similar markings,
cards must be inserted into the sleeves so these markings appear only on
the face of the cards.

Once a match begins, a player may request that the judge inspect an
opponent's card sleeves. The judge may disallow a player's card sleeves
if the judge believes they are marked, worn, or otherwise in a condition
or of a design that interferes with shuffling or game play. To avoid
confusion, a card sleeve may also be used to mark a player's card if the
card is in an opponent's playing area.

44. Marked Cards
Players are responsible for ensuring that their cards and/or card
sleeves are not marked. A card is considered marked if it bears
something that makes it possible to identify the card without seeing its
face, including scratches, discoloration, bends, and so on.

If a player's cards are sleeved, the sleeves are considered part of the
cards, so the cards must be examined while in the sleeves to determine
if they are marked. Players must use care when sleeving their decks and
should randomize their decks prior to sleeving them to reduce the
possibility of marked cards with a pattern.

Any card that is cut differently from the other cards in a player's deck
may be considered marked if the entire contents of the deck are not
placed in unmarked, completely opaque card sleeves. For example, Alpha
cards are considered marked if they are mixed into a player's deck with
cards from other sets at a Magic event. However, Alpha cards are not
considered marked--and therefore do not have to be in opaque sleeves--if
the entire deck consists of Alpha cards.

If a differently cut card has caused its sleeve to become worn
differently than other sleeves in the deck, that sleeve is considered
marked.

The head judge has the authority to determine if a card or series of
cards in a player's deck is marked.

Alpha-cornered cards (from the Magic Floor Rules):

102. Authorized Cards
Alpha cards (cards from the first print run of the core set) may be used
in decks containing non-Alpha cards only if all cards are placed in
completely opaque sleeves and only if the sleeves could not be
considered marked.

If sleeves are not used, Alpha cards may be used only in decks that
consist exclusively of Alpha cards.

Participants may not use cards from any special-edition sets or
supplements, such as Collector's Edition, International Collector's
Edition, Pro Tour Collector Set, World Championship decks, Unglued or
Unhinged cards.

Note: Unglued and Unhinged basic land cards are allowed in sanctioned
Magic tournaments.

--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Daniel W. Johnson <panoptes@iquest.net> sent:
[from various rules sources]

> Any card that is cut differently from the other cards in a player's deck
> may be considered marked if the entire contents of the deck are not
> placed in unmarked, completely opaque card sleeves.

I find it difficult to play without being able to see the card faces...
a new variant of Mental Magic, perhaps? :) Maybe I'm just reading
too much into 'completely opaque'...

--
-- zoe

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

On 22 Apr 2005 08:41:34 GMT, Zoe Stephenson <zrs1@uk.ac.york.reversed>
wrote:
>Daniel W. Johnson <panoptes@iquest.net> sent:
>[from various rules sources]
>
>> Any card that is cut differently from the other cards in a player's deck
>> may be considered marked if the entire contents of the deck are not
>> placed in unmarked, completely opaque card sleeves.
>
>I find it difficult to play without being able to see the card faces...
>a new variant of Mental Magic, perhaps? :) Maybe I'm just reading
>too much into 'completely opaque'...

They probably *mean* just the back -- but at least then they no longer
have to specify that the little hologram marks should go on the front.

Jasper

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:38:13 -0500, panoptes@iquest.net (Daniel W.
Johnson) wrote:

>Once a match begins, a player may request that the judge inspect an
>opponent's card sleeves. The judge may disallow a player's card sleeves
>if the judge believes they are marked, worn, or otherwise in a condition
>or of a design that interferes with shuffling or game play. To avoid
>confusion, a card sleeve may also be used to mark a player's card if the
>card is in an opponent's playing area.

What happens if the judge disallows the sleeves? The player chooses to
either concede or play sleeveless (at which point the sleeveless deck has
to be examined, of course)? Do you concede a game, a match, or a
tournament before you're allowed to put new sleeves on your deck?

>If a player's cards are sleeved, the sleeves are considered part of the
>cards, so the cards must be examined while in the sleeves to determine
>if they are marked. Players must use care when sleeving their decks and
>should randomize their decks prior to sleeving them to reduce the
>possibility of marked cards with a pattern.

This seems to refer to decks of sleeves where, for example, the sleeves
are cut progressively wider, and if you don't shuffle either the deck or
the sleeves before sleeving, you end up with a deck that has wider lands
and less wide creatures than your spells?

>If a differently cut card has caused its sleeve to become worn
>differently than other sleeves in the deck, that sleeve is considered
>marked.

You're going to go through a lot of sleeves with an alpha/regular mixed
deck, then. Then again, sideboard cardsleeves wear differently than the
main deck as well, so [for tournament-level play] you basically have to
replace the sleeves on a fairly regular basis anyway.

>Alpha cards (cards from the first print run of the core set) may be used
>in decks containing non-Alpha cards only if all cards are placed in
>completely opaque sleeves and only if the sleeves could not be
>considered marked.

Completely opaque is a strange way of saying "~ on the back, the front of
course has to be normally visible during play".

>Participants may not use cards from any special-edition sets or
>supplements, such as Collector's Edition, International Collector's
>Edition, Pro Tour Collector Set, World Championship decks, Unglued or
>Unhinged cards.

How about Portal, Starter, Anthologies/Battle Royale/Beatdown/Deckmasters?
Legal if they are the same card name as a card in an allowed set[1], or
disallowed completely?

Jasper

[1] I think I read of one Portal 1 card that had a different cc or p/t to
the regular version -- obviously that would have to be played by Oracle
wording, not as written.

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:36:57 GMT, Jasper Janssen <jasper@jjanssen.org> wrote:
>>Participants may not use cards from any special-edition sets or
>>supplements, such as Collector's Edition, International Collector's
>>Edition, Pro Tour Collector Set, World Championship decks, Unglued or
>>Unhinged cards.
>
>How about Portal, Starter, Anthologies/Battle Royale/Beatdown/Deckmasters?
>Legal if they are the same card name as a card in an allowed set[1],

Yes. And played using the Oracle text for that card.

>or disallowed completely?

Currently for Portal and Starter cards that never "moved up to Magic yet",
this is the correct option. The next time Extended rotates, I think it is,
all remaining Portal and Starter cards, -using their Oracle text- (which
can be seen in Gatherer these days and can be somewhat different from the
card text), will become legal in Types I & 1.5, and I think the Vampiric-Tutor
lookalike is gonna end up Restricted in Type I and Banned in type 1.5 but am
not at all sure. Most of the other cards will come over without any problems
- the only one I was worried about that I remember is Piracy. (And note that
the Sorceries played in response to stuff I think have all been Oracle-ized to
be Instants...)

Dave

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:36:57 GMT, Jasper Janssen <jasper@jjanssen.org>
wrote:
<snip>
>[1] I think I read of one Portal 1 card that had a different cc or p/t to
>the regular version -- obviously that would have to be played by Oracle
>wording, not as written.

just like foreign cards use the english text, (meloku doesn't put into
play 2/2 flying blue spirits) mis prints are ignored