jollyjeffers

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
hi all,

I came back from university the other day, meaning I had to pack/drive/unpack all the stuff from my room. My PC worked absolutely fine (rock solid, not a problem ever) right up until I took it apart to pack it.

I unpacked it this morning, booted it up and there are GFX artifacts all over the shop (it looked ugly to say the least - random blocks of colour, missing lines, fuzziness...). I'm thinking oohhhh ah heck. :)

I'm sufficient enough with computers to work out whats gone wrong - the graphics card (dur!), its a Gf-Ti4600 from ASUS. i swapped it out for a Creative-Gf256 (#1) and it worked fine. I tried with my Radeon 8500-LE, it worked fine.

Now, would seem obvious that the Ti4600 is busted. correct?!

Now, I'm wanting to know - is it actually likely that its bust? cos if so, I'll claim on insurance and get another one.

I'm a little unsure about things, for 2 reasons:
<b>1. I've seen this problem before, but it was the PSU not dealing out enough power for the 3D card.
2. NVidia cards seem to take more power than the ATI ones, so its possible that the PSU is screwed in my machine.</b>

any comments / ideas? a new PSU would be easier than a new GPU :)

Jack

Just a quick comment.

Try the GF4 in another rig. That should narrow it down for you.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK