violent_yoda

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2003
Greetings fellow geeks,
Question, I have a dell inspiron 8000, PIII 900, 512mb PC100 RAM, 40GB 16mb cache HD, 15" UXGA, 32mb M4 Video Card, yada yada yada. Anyway, I found a mobile radeon 9000 64mb card on ebay and want to upgrade to it. I opened up my rig and found that the m4 and the Radeon have the same dimensions and interface(this is according to the dell specs I located on the Inspiron 8200 in the Tech support center) Now, the radeon will fit in my rig but the only driver available for the card is for the 8200 running XP. I am running XP so will the radeon driver work in my 8000? Ati does not supply a driver for the mobile radeon 9000, they say to check with the laptop manufacturer. This leads me to think the driver may be hardware as well as OS specific. That sounds kind of odd though, I thought drivers were OS specific and only were affected if essential hardware needs were not met(i.e. agp card and only pci slots or simply not meeting the minimum card requirements). The rig does meet the minimum hardware requirements according to ati. My question is, does anyone think the driver will work or not work and why. Thanks for reading this long post and thanks even more if you respond. If you would like to give and educated guess, that would also be welcome.
Thanks,
Master Yoda

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by violent_yoda on 06/15/03 08:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

violent_yoda

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2003
I was thinking the same thing but ATI does not supply one on their site. They have a message saying to get the driver from the manufactor. Thanks for the reply.