Windows 7 upgrade on a new computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knellie22

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
I'm building a new computer (as shown here), but I don't know which version of Windows 7 is right for me. I've searched plenty to try and find an answer, but couldn't find a definitive one.

My current computer is a Dell from 4.5 years ago that came with a legit version of 32-bit Windows XP. I've read that you can use the upgrade to go from XP to Windows 7. I think I've read that as long as you own any legit version of XP or Vista you can put 7 on a new computer, even if you aren't putting XP or Vista on it first, but I'm not sure.

Is it possible to get the upgrade version of 64-bit Windows 7 to put on my new computer while keeping 32-bit Windows XP on my old computer, or should I just get the OEM version of 64-bit Windows 7 for my new computer?

Thanks, and sorry if this question has already been answered - I looked for awhile to try and figure it out but couldn't.

Solution
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Like I see ur rig is for gaming, so, usually we uses Win 7 Professional or Ultimate both Professional or Ultimate x64.

Now, u can keep the XP license in the old rig and the new one in the rig that u are building since is impossible do a update from Win XP 32 bits or Vista 32 bits to Win 7 x64.

Buy ur update version and with the update DVD u can do a clean installation of Win 7.
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Like I see ur rig is for gaming, so, usually we uses Win 7 Professional or Ultimate both Professional or Ultimate x64.

Now, u can keep the XP license in the old rig and the new one in the rig that u are building since is impossible do a update from Win XP 32 bits or Vista 32 bits to Win 7 x64.

Buy ur update version and with the update DVD u can do a clean installation of Win 7.

Solution

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
there is no upgrade path from XP to Win 7, if you want to run 2 OS's on the same computer ( doesn't matter is one is 32bit and the other is 64bit),here is some info:http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html?filter

knellie22

Distinguished
May 6, 2010

I'm not sure what you mean by an "upgrade path," but I know XP qualifies for the upgrade version to 7 - it's right on Microsoft's website here - "All Windows XP and Windows Vista editions qualify for a Windows 7 upgrade."

I want to use Windows 7 on my new computer and keep XP on my old computer. I'm not interested in running two OS's on the same computer.

knellie22

Distinguished
May 6, 2010

Ahh - I'm not even sure what benefits the other versions have - I'm not too interested in anything other than the basic Windows 7.

Thanks for the welcome. :) I'm loving Toms Hardware - lots of great info and help when you need it!

So how does it work then - when I go to install Windows 7 on my new computer, I'm guessing I have to give a cd-key type thing from my Windows XP on my old computer, then it let's me install the upgrade version as if it was the normal full version?

Status
Not open for further replies.