Disk Read Error Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Tags:
  • Disk Read Error
  • Motherboards
  • Windows XP
a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2005 3:59:02 PM

Hi, my motherboard and processor both bit the dust recently and I got a
replacement processor and I bought a new motherboard as well as a new
videocard. When I try to boot the computer, I get a message saying "Disk
Read Error Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". I know there is NOTHING wrong
with either of my HDs. I've ran CHKDSK /R on both and it did find and fix
minor errors but it still has the error. I used my Win XP pro CD to fix the
boot sector with no results. Any ideas?

My specs are;
P4 1.7GHz
Asus P4S800 Motherboard with SIS 648FX chipset
ATI Radeon 9600SE video card
512MB PC2100 DDR
15GB Quantum Fireball HD 5400RPM NTFS file system
60GB IBM/Hitachi Deskstar HD 7200RPM NTFS file system
Windows XP Pro SP2 installed on 15GB HD

More about : disk read error press ctrl alt del restart

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2005 1:33:28 AM

From what you said I think that WinXP is looking for all the devices
from the old motherboard. You may want to
try a Repair Install of WinXP. Check here
"thegamerdude" <thegamerdude@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 72FAFBB-4DA7-4158-9DCB-15512967996B@microsoft.com...
> Hi, my motherboard and processor both bit the dust recently and I got a
> replacement processor and I bought a new motherboard as well as a new
> videocard. When I try to boot the computer, I get a message saying "Disk
> Read Error Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". I know there is NOTHING wrong
> with either of my HDs. I've ran CHKDSK /R on both and it did find and fix
> minor errors but it still has the error. I used my Win XP pro CD to fix
> the
> boot sector with no results. Any ideas?
>
> My specs are;
> P4 1.7GHz
> Asus P4S800 Motherboard with SIS 648FX chipset
> ATI Radeon 9600SE video card
> 512MB PC2100 DDR
> 15GB Quantum Fireball HD 5400RPM NTFS file system
> 60GB IBM/Hitachi Deskstar HD 7200RPM NTFS file system
> Windows XP Pro SP2 installed on 15GB HD
January 3, 2009 8:34:39 PM

UNSURE IF THIS IS RELATED but I've never really posted to any of these sites and thought I had to find somewhere to post this incase it helps anyone. It is in regards to the "DISK READ ERROR" message as indicated in some of the postings:

I recently upgraded many parts of my computer to include the motherboard (ASUS M3A78-T), ram (Crucial DDR 3, 2X 1gb), and I had to get a new Optical Drive as there are no longer places on the new board to connect my old DVD drive. I did not however, upgrade either of my hard drives (MAXTOR 6L100PO and an older 40 gb hard drive). I backed up my data, formatted the drive, and reloaded windows XP on my 100 gb drive. I used the XP disk as the boot up disk and started a fresh install. Once it loaded the system files, it restarted the computer... This is where all my troubles began. I got the "Disk Read Error... Press CTRL+ALT+DEL" mess. I read as many forums as I could. I downloaded the diagnostic files from Maxtor and checked my drive but it was fine. I went ahead and tried loading windows on my 40 gb drive just incase. It resulted in the same thing. I then began researching on how to update my BIOS using a CD-R because the only 3.5 inch drive I have is on the computer in question. It took me forever but I finally found one posting I could follow almost word for word with some slight changes: http://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-boot-cd.htm. Using the steps I downloaded a couple free files and a free programs, including the bios file from this ASUS sight for my motherboard and the "Afudos" executable file. I created a bootable CD with the files for the bios update. The only difference was what I had to type at the a: prompt to get it to work. Instead of "afudos /i0602.rom", I played around and got this to work: " A:\> afudos~1 /i0602.ROM" This updated my bios. The computer started up and Windows Setup picked up where it left off. As stated, I've never left a posting but felt bad that I use them often to help me and figured I should take the time to do this incase it helps someone else. Happy New Year!