Retail Video Cards vs OEM Video cards????

Blair

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
I'm looking to buy a Radeon 9800 Pro, and the retail version is about 50 dollars more expensive than the OEM version

OEM Radeon 9800 Pro = 549 CDN
Retail 9800 Pro = 599.95

What's the difference between the two? I've heard that the OEM version is underclocked a bit, and is of less quality. Is this true?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Usually, OEM cards have less features and/or less performance, little/no warranty, less bundled software (usually just no bundled games), and sometimes fewer connectors/adapters.

For example, I have an ATI OEM 8500. It's clocked at 250 core/275 memory (not bad for an OEM) compared to 275/275 for the retail version. DVD software and drivers were bundled but no other software (IIRC). An S-Video cable was included but I think the retail version R8500 included an S-Video to Composite adapter or included a multifunction dongle. My OEM R8500 has VGA-out and DVI-out but the latter is not DVI-I, meaning the connector does not support a second CRT only a digital flat panel. There's no second RAMDAC anyway. For dual monitors I can have CRT + Flat Panel but not CRT + CRT. (I could have flat panel + flat panel but one would need an analog, VGA interface).

Not all OEM cards have identical features. (Some retail cards may have differences as well). Look carefully at what you are buying. Make sure it supports/includes what you need. Ask questions (of the vendor) if you are not sure. Don't assume anything.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Back in the days yeah but I do not believe that is true with the Radeon 9800 pro chips. The difference between the 2 is one has less accessories and warranty than Retail.