Alpha vs Beta

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Hello,

How would one be adble to see the difference between the different sts of
cards?

For example, how would I be able to determine between 2 cards, which is from
Alpha and whih is from Beta, and the same for 4th and 5th.
Obviously, the new cards have expansion symbols, so they are not a problem,
I only have a problem with the older cards.

Thanks

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"news.telkomsa.net" <news@telkomsa.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> How would one be adble to see the difference between the different sts of
> cards?
>
> For example, how would I be able to determine between 2 cards, which is from
> Alpha and whih is from Beta, and the same for 4th and 5th.
> Obviously, the new cards have expansion symbols, so they are not a problem, I
> only have a problem with the older cards.

The spoiler on mtgnews.com has pictures of most cards, from all the
different sets. I've used this in the past to determine which set
a particular reprint was from.

Also, I believe Alpha cards had square corners, while cards from all
other sets were rounded.

- Dave
Magic: The Gathering card singles
http://www.destinationmtg.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

news.telkomsa.net <news@telkomsa.net> sent:
> Hello,

> How would one be adble to see the difference between the different sts of
> cards?

> For example, how would I be able to determine between 2 cards, which is from
> Alpha and whih is from Beta, and the same for 4th and 5th.
> Obviously, the new cards have expansion symbols, so they are not a problem,
> I only have a problem with the older cards.

I found this site which might be useful for you:

http://home.mweb.co.za/pr/pringled/gryphon/idoldcards.html

Once you've seen a few examples of each kind, it's pretty easy to tell
them apart. Quick summary:

Alpha: black border, big round corners
Beta: black border, normal corners
Unlimited: white border, normal corners
Revised: white border, normal corners, thick black outlines instead of
bevels
Fourth: white border, normal corners, date 1995
Fifth: white border, normal corners, date 1997

--
-- zoe

Dave <im@not.telling> wrote:
>The spoiler on mtgnews.com has pictures of most cards, from all the
>different sets. I've used this in the past to determine which set
>a particular reprint was from.

I believe ... yes, Gatherer appears to also. (Judging from a test using Stream
of Life.) It's not easy to see the bevel-outline that's the main difference
between Unlimited and Revised on it, though.

>Also, I believe Alpha cards had square corners, while cards from all
>other sets were rounded.

No no. Collector's Edition (and International C.E.) cards had square corners,
and have never ever been tournament-legal. Alpha cards had much -rounder-
corners than any other edition; Beta and up and all the expansions have had
the same narrow corner-roundness. It's unmistakable once you've seen it in
real life comparisons, as is the bevelled-border difference (between the
main printed area and the white edge of the card) for UL/RV.

Dave

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

On 15 Jun 2005 00:17:38 -0400, dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney)
wrote:

>I believe ... yes, Gatherer appears to also. (Judging from a test using Stream
>of Life.) It's not easy to see the bevel-outline that's the main difference
>between Unlimited and Revised on it, though.

Well, and the colour depth which is visible from across the room.

Admittedly that fails on 'summer magic' cards, though.

Jasper