Laptop for $1000 to $1200

1. What is your budget?
1000 - 1200
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Highest my budget can buy. I will connect it to my 60 inch and watch a lot of HD movies


4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement. I dont want a 10 LB laptop and I dont need it to be featherweight either.


5. How much battery life do you need?
The most my budget can buy.


6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes I will be but not too often. Not a huge gamer but sure I do want to be able to play some of the current games out there with a decent graphics card. I guess I want the best graphics card my budget can buy me.


7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I do use photoshop but just for fun. I will be watching a lot of HD movies.


8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
250GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
None

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2 yrs or so

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Bluray. I dont think i will be burning cd's.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No preference.

13. What country do you live in?
USA


14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I will be buying an XBOX 360 console with Kinect also and Microsoftstore is offering $200 store credit if I buy a laptop from them which I can use towards the purchase of an XBOX but I am not sure if it is the smart thing to buy one of their laptops at their prices.
16 answers Last reply
More about laptop 1000 1200
  1. ASUS G53SX-NH71 Notebook Intel Core i7 2670QM(2.20GHz) 15.6" 8GB Memory DDR3 1333 500GB HDD 7200rpm DL DVD±RW/CD-RW NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230141
  2. I can consider spending less as well.
    maybe I am looking for too much of a laptop for what I want to do on it.
    If you guys do see some great deal on a new laptop for $700-$1000. please let me know.

    I must have
    HDMI Connectivity
    Bluetooth(preffered but not must)
    resolution higher than 1366x768
    Decent graphics card.
    500 GB storage the most. 250 is good
    backlit keyboard
    Bluray drive (preffered but not a must)
    i7 preffered but i5 if the deal is tooo good to pass up
  3. When you plugged in the BluRay requirement the list of options @ MSStore shrank to 3 and none of them met your budget target or were reasonable choices for a bit of gaming.
  4. WR2 said:
    When you plugged in the BluRay requirement the list of options @ MSStore shrank to 3 and none of them met your budget target or were reasonable choices for a bit of gaming.



    I know, thats why I am looking to buy elsewhere since they do not offer a variety at good prices. Also you can not customize any of their laptops.
  5. Dell XPS 15 notebook $1120 when configured:
    Core i7-267 2.2Ghz CPU, 6GB RAM, 750GB 7200rpm HDD, 15.6" 1920x1080 LCD w/ GT 540M graphics
    BluRay drive, Backlit Keyboard, 802.11n WiFi / Bluetooth 3.0,
  6. The BluRay option was $100 extra. Bluetooth $20 and the 1920x1080 LCD was $150
    All the rest were standard options.
  7. What you guys think of the hp envy?

    Are 3D laptops worth looking into?
  8. If you're lucky enough to one of those that don't get headaches of eyestrain with the 3D glasses they can be interesting. More so for movies than games - at least the current crop of 3D enabled games.
  9. WR2 said:
    If you're lucky enough to one of those that don't get headaches of eyestrain with the 3D glasses they can be interesting. More so for movies than games - at least the current crop of 3D enabled games.


    Thanks WR2 for your expert input.

    What about the non-3d envy laptops.
    Because I am seriously considering those as well.
    I m going in between the asus and the envy.
  10. Gaming a priority? Get the better GPU.
    All-rounder? check the latest expert reviews and the one that best suits you.

    HP Envy 15 review (early 2012)
  11. This one comes out to be $814 with free shipping.
    How does it compare to the other ones for over $1000 we mentioned in the thread?



    TOSHIBA
    Satellite P750-BT4G22 Laptop
    Part Number: PSAY3UTCXEL7

    Processor Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor 2.2 GHz (3.1 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology), 6MB L3 Cache
    Microsoft® Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
    Memory 4GB DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM (2048MBx2)
    Hard Disk Drive 500GB HDD (7200rpm, Serial-ATA)
    Graphics Controller 1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M with NVIDIA® Optimus™ Technology
    Optical Drive DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive
    KeyBoard Options Glossy Black LED Backlit Tile keyboard
    Battery Enhanced Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell, 5600 mAH)
    Wireless LAN & Bluetooth® Wi-Fi® Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n) with Bluetooth® v3.0 + Enhanced Data Rate (EDR)
    Microsoft® Office Software Microsoft® Office 2010 Starter
    Anti-Virus Software Norton Internet Security Suite (NIS) 2012 (30-day trial)
    Standard Limited Warranty 1 Year Standard Limited Warranty

    List Price:$1,204.00
    Instant Savings:-$340.00
    Coupons:-$50.00
    Total Price:$814.00
  12. I dont think the Toshiba has an HDMI port :(
  13. 1366x768 LCD? I thought that was a no-no
  14. WR2 said:
    1366x768 LCD? I thought that was a no-no



    It definitely is.
    This toshiba is out.
  15. Clevo P151HM - $1199

    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

    Quote:
    CLEVO is a large Taiwanese computer company specializing in laptops. While the Clevo brand name is perhaps not widely known, their products are re-branded and sold by known boutique brand OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers)… notably Sager, VoodooPC, Falcon Northwest, Eurocom, etc. They are also considered (by whoever knows about notebooks) to design and manufacturer the best of the best notebooks in terms of superior build quality and innovative designs.


    * indicates an included upgrade from base model configuration

    15.6" 1920 x 1080 Full HD
    Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor, 2.2 GHz*
    8GB, PC3-10600/1333Mhz DDR3 - 2 x 4GB*
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M w/1.5GB GDDR5
    4x Max. Blu-Ray Reader / 8x Max. DVD±R/2.4X Max. +DL Super-Multi Drive *
    Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit *
    8 Cells Lithium-Ion Battery Pack 76.96WH
    Integrated 802.11 b/g/n + Bluetooth V3.0 Combo '
    Built-In 2.0M Pixels Digital Video Camera
    Built-In Fingerprint Reader
    Built-In Gigabit Ethernet LAN
    Built-In 9-IN-1 Flash Memory Reader(MMC/RSMMC/MS/MS Pro/MS DUO/SD/Mini-SD/SDHC/SDXC)
    1 IEEE-1394a Fire Wire
    2 USB 2.0 Ports
    2 USB 3.0 Ports
    1 eSATA Port
    1 HDMI Output
    1 DVI-I Port
    1 Kensington Lock Port
    Built-in Microphone, 2 Speakers and 1 Sub-Woofer
    4 Audio Jacks for Headphone, Microphone-In, S/PDIF-Out, and Line-In
    1 100/240V Autoswitch AC Power Adapter
    Standard Carrying Case with Strap
  16. JackNaylorPE said:
    Clevo P151HM - $1199

    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

    Quote:
    CLEVO is a large Taiwanese computer company specializing in laptops. While the Clevo brand name is perhaps not widely known, their products are re-branded and sold by known boutique brand OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers)… notably Sager, VoodooPC, Falcon Northwest, Eurocom, etc. They are also considered (by whoever knows about notebooks) to design and manufacturer the best of the best notebooks in terms of superior build quality and innovative designs.


    * indicates an included upgrade from base model configuration

    15.6" 1920 x 1080 Full HD
    Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor, 2.2 GHz*
    8GB, PC3-10600/1333Mhz DDR3 - 2 x 4GB*
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M w/1.5GB GDDR5
    4x Max. Blu-Ray Reader / 8x Max. DVD±R/2.4X Max. +DL Super-Multi Drive *
    Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit *
    8 Cells Lithium-Ion Battery Pack 76.96WH
    Integrated 802.11 b/g/n + Bluetooth V3.0 Combo '
    Built-In 2.0M Pixels Digital Video Camera
    Built-In Fingerprint Reader
    Built-In Gigabit Ethernet LAN
    Built-In 9-IN-1 Flash Memory Reader(MMC/RSMMC/MS/MS Pro/MS DUO/SD/Mini-SD/SDHC/SDXC)
    1 IEEE-1394a Fire Wire
    2 USB 2.0 Ports
    2 USB 3.0 Ports
    1 eSATA Port
    1 HDMI Output
    1 DVI-I Port
    1 Kensington Lock Port
    Built-in Microphone, 2 Speakers and 1 Sub-Woofer
    4 Audio Jacks for Headphone, Microphone-In, S/PDIF-Out, and Line-In
    1 100/240V Autoswitch AC Power Adapter
    Standard Carrying Case with Strap



    The specs look promising but I do not know much about this brand.
    Is this a reputable brand?
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Product