Difficulty upgrading WinXP Home SP2 to WinXP Pro

I bought an upgrade disk of win XP Pro about 8 months ago so that I could
upgrade my win XP Home system. I am just now getting around to upgrading.
My upgrade disk tells me that I cannot do an upgrade because the version I am
trying to install is older then my current version.

I am currently running Win XP Home SP2, the upgrade disk is Win XP Pro SP1.
I would rather not have to perform a new installation. Does anyone have any
ideas?

Thanks
More about difficulty upgrading winxp home winxp

    Even though you have xp pro "upgrade",with xp home already installed,you
    should do a new installation of xp useing the xp pro disk.Boot to xp cd,then
    at info screen select,install xp,new installation,delete the current
    partition (xp
    home),create one,then let xp format and install.You'll find in the long
    run,it will
    run much better.

    "Vocoder422" wrote:

    > I bought an upgrade disk of win XP Pro about 8 months ago so that I could
    > upgrade my win XP Home system. I am just now getting around to upgrading.
    > My upgrade disk tells me that I cannot do an upgrade because the version I am
    > trying to install is older then my current version.
    >
    > I am currently running Win XP Home SP2, the upgrade disk is Win XP Pro SP1.
    > I would rather not have to perform a new installation. Does anyone have any
    > ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    Create a new Windows XP CD with SP2 slipstreamed and then begin the upgrade.

    Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
    (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

    Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    or

    AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
    http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Vocoder422" wrote:

    | I bought an upgrade disk of win XP Pro about 8 months ago so that I could
    | upgrade my win XP Home system. I am just now getting around to upgrading.
    | My upgrade disk tells me that I cannot do an upgrade because the version I am
    | trying to install is older then my current version.
    |
    | I am currently running Win XP Home SP2, the upgrade disk is Win XP Pro SP1.
    | I would rather not have to perform a new installation. Does anyone have any
    | ideas?
    |
    | Thanks

Support Microsoft Windows XP