Difficulty upgrading WinXP Home SP2 to WinXP Pro

I bought an upgrade disk of win XP Pro about 8 months ago so that I could
upgrade my win XP Home system. I am just now getting around to upgrading.
My upgrade disk tells me that I cannot do an upgrade because the version I am
trying to install is older then my current version.

I am currently running Win XP Home SP2, the upgrade disk is Win XP Pro SP1.
I would rather not have to perform a new installation. Does anyone have any
ideas?

Thanks

Even though you have xp pro "upgrade",with xp home already installed,you
should do a new installation of xp useing the xp pro disk.Boot to xp cd,then
at info screen select,install xp,new installation,delete the current
partition (xp
home),create one,then let xp format and install.You'll find in the long
run,it will
run much better.

"Vocoder422" wrote:

> I bought an upgrade disk of win XP Pro about 8 months ago so that I could
> upgrade my win XP Home system. I am just now getting around to upgrading.
> My upgrade disk tells me that I cannot do an upgrade because the version I am
> trying to install is older then my current version.
>
> I am currently running Win XP Home SP2, the upgrade disk is Win XP Pro SP1.
> I would rather not have to perform a new installation. Does anyone have any
> ideas?
>
> Thanks

Create a new Windows XP CD with SP2 slipstreamed and then begin the upgrade.

Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
(integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

or

AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP