windows explorer won't open

Tags:
  • Windows XP
March 2, 2005 11:19:01 PM

I cannot get Windows Explorer to open.
When I click on the icon nothing happens and my computer freezes for about
30 seconds. In fact, I cannot open any of the things that pop up when you
click on the Start button, on the right hand side, such as My Documents, My
Pictures, My Music, My Computer, even the Control Panel.
Any help is greatly appreciated!!
--
rctr

More about : windows explorer open

March 2, 2005 11:39:01 PM

Run Anti Virus software.
Run Anti spyware [ad ware] software.

Do this in safe Mode.

Delete all the crud you find and then reboot.

"rctr" wrote:

> I cannot get Windows Explorer to open.
> When I click on the icon nothing happens and my computer freezes for about
> 30 seconds. In fact, I cannot open any of the things that pop up when you
> click on the Start button, on the right hand side, such as My Documents, My
> Pictures, My Music, My Computer, even the Control Panel.
> Any help is greatly appreciated!!
> --
> rctr
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 6:49:04 PM

I tried this, ran McAfee antivirus and adware remover in safe mode,
some viruses did show up and were deleted, but problem persists!
Any other suggestions?
Another symptom is that when I open Internet Explorer the little message box
always pops up and says IE has encountered a problem and needs to close, etc.
Please help!
Thanks!

rctr

"BAR" wrote:

> Run Anti Virus software.
> Run Anti spyware [ad ware] software.
>
> Do this in safe Mode.
>
> Delete all the crud you find and then reboot.
>

> "rctr" wrote:
>
> > I cannot get Windows Explorer to open.
> > When I click on the icon nothing happens and my computer freezes for about
> > 30 seconds. In fact, I cannot open any of the things that pop up when you
> > click on the Start button, on the right hand side, such as My Documents, My
> > Pictures, My Music, My Computer, even the Control Panel.
> > Any help is greatly appreciated!!
> > --
> > rctr
March 12, 2005 11:25:01 PM

I'm having the same trouble. Sometimes doing a system restore will fix it,
but only temporarily. It is very frustrating. I get a message about Dr.
Watson and I have to do a ctl+alt+delete and close all the Dr. Watson
programs running(usually 2-3) to get anything to open.

"rctr" wrote:

> I cannot get Windows Explorer to open.
> When I click on the icon nothing happens and my computer freezes for about
> 30 seconds. In fact, I cannot open any of the things that pop up when you
> click on the Start button, on the right hand side, such as My Documents, My
> Pictures, My Music, My Computer, even the Control Panel.
> Any help is greatly appreciated!!
> --
> rctr
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 7:47:01 AM

This worked for me. Download these programs and run scans:

http://www.download.com/1200-2018-5141163.html

http://www.download.com/Spyware-Doctor/3000-8022_4-1036...

!