windows explorer won't open

I cannot get Windows Explorer to open.
When I click on the icon nothing happens and my computer freezes for about
30 seconds. In fact, I cannot open any of the things that pop up when you
click on the Start button, on the right hand side, such as My Documents, My
Pictures, My Music, My Computer, even the Control Panel.
Any help is greatly appreciated!!
--
rctr
4 answers Last reply

    Run Anti Virus software.
    Run Anti spyware [ad ware] software.

    Do this in safe Mode.

    Delete all the crud you find and then reboot.

    "rctr" wrote:

    > I cannot get Windows Explorer to open.
    > When I click on the icon nothing happens and my computer freezes for about
    > 30 seconds. In fact, I cannot open any of the things that pop up when you
    > click on the Start button, on the right hand side, such as My Documents, My
    > Pictures, My Music, My Computer, even the Control Panel.
    > Any help is greatly appreciated!!
    > --
    > rctr

    I tried this, ran McAfee antivirus and adware remover in safe mode,
    some viruses did show up and were deleted, but problem persists!
    Any other suggestions?
    Another symptom is that when I open Internet Explorer the little message box
    always pops up and says IE has encountered a problem and needs to close, etc.
    Please help!
    Thanks!

    rctr

    "BAR" wrote:

    > Run Anti Virus software.
    > Run Anti spyware [ad ware] software.
    >
    > Do this in safe Mode.
    >
    > Delete all the crud you find and then reboot.
    >

    > "rctr" wrote:
    >
    > > I cannot get Windows Explorer to open.
    > > When I click on the icon nothing happens and my computer freezes for about
    > > 30 seconds. In fact, I cannot open any of the things that pop up when you
    > > click on the Start button, on the right hand side, such as My Documents, My
    > > Pictures, My Music, My Computer, even the Control Panel.
    > > Any help is greatly appreciated!!
    > > --
    > > rctr

    I'm having the same trouble. Sometimes doing a system restore will fix it,
    but only temporarily. It is very frustrating. I get a message about Dr.
    Watson and I have to do a ctl+alt+delete and close all the Dr. Watson
    programs running(usually 2-3) to get anything to open.

    "rctr" wrote:

    > I cannot get Windows Explorer to open.
    > When I click on the icon nothing happens and my computer freezes for about
    > 30 seconds. In fact, I cannot open any of the things that pop up when you
    > click on the Start button, on the right hand side, such as My Documents, My
    > Pictures, My Music, My Computer, even the Control Panel.
    > Any help is greatly appreciated!!
    > --
    > rctr

    This worked for me. Download these programs and run scans:

    http://www.download.com/1200-2018-5141163.html

    http://www.download.com/Spyware-Doctor/3000-8022_4-10361503.html

    "windows explorer won't open" wrote:

    > I'm having the same trouble. Sometimes doing a system restore will fix it,
    > but only temporarily. It is very frustrating. I get a message about Dr.
    > Watson and I have to do a ctl+alt+delete and close all the Dr. Watson
    > programs running(usually 2-3) to get anything to open.
    >
    > "rctr" wrote:
    >
    > > I cannot get Windows Explorer to open.
    > > When I click on the icon nothing happens and my computer freezes for about
    > > 30 seconds. In fact, I cannot open any of the things that pop up when you
    > > click on the Start button, on the right hand side, such as My Documents, My
    > > Pictures, My Music, My Computer, even the Control Panel.
    > > Any help is greatly appreciated!!
    > > --
    > > rctr

Windows XP