New case for Dimension 4600

My son's 4600 is now out of warranty (bought Nov 2003), and he fancied
giving it a facelift with a new case (standard ATX format).

We have undone all the visible motherboard screws, but the motherboard
is still tethered - it looks as if there is a screw underneath the CPU
heatsink.

Before we remove that (and thereby commit myself to cleaning off and
replacing thermal compound even if we are wrong) - can anybody
confirm that my guess is right?

Secondly - advice on heatsink replacements please.

The 4600 relies on a 120mm case fan and plastic duct to cool the CPU -
something we cannot reproduce on the new case (which does not have
120mm mounting holes). Can anyone suggest a CPU heatsink and fan that
will fit onto the CPU using the existing 4600 mounting clip
arrangement?

Or am I being a fool to even consider rehousing a 4600?

John Geddes
Derbyshire UK

Not worth the time, the money, or the effort. Too damned many proprietary
cables, connectors, brackets and widgets on an innocuous-appearing ATX form
factor board... Ben Myers

On 27 Dec 2004 04:18:09 -0800, john@starmarkassociates.co.uk (John Geddes)
wrote:

>My son's 4600 is now out of warranty (bought Nov 2003), and he fancied
>giving it a facelift with a new case (standard ATX format).
>
>We have undone all the visible motherboard screws, but the motherboard
>is still tethered - it looks as if there is a screw underneath the CPU
>heatsink.
>
>Before we remove that (and thereby commit myself to cleaning off and
>replacing thermal compound even if we are wrong) - can anybody
>confirm that my guess is right?
>
>Secondly - advice on heatsink replacements please.
>
>The 4600 relies on a 120mm case fan and plastic duct to cool the CPU -
>something we cannot reproduce on the new case (which does not have
>120mm mounting holes). Can anyone suggest a CPU heatsink and fan that
>will fit onto the CPU using the existing 4600 mounting clip
>arrangement?
>
>Or am I being a fool to even consider rehousing a 4600?
>
>John Geddes
>Derbyshire UK

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Forget it mate youll come unstuck even at the begining wehen you try and
connect up the I/O switch
"John Geddes" <john@starmarkassociates.co.uk> wrote in message
> My son's 4600 is now out of warranty (bought Nov 2003), and he fancied
> giving it a facelift with a new case (standard ATX format).
>
> We have undone all the visible motherboard screws, but the motherboard
> is still tethered - it looks as if there is a screw underneath the CPU
> heatsink.
>
> Before we remove that (and thereby commit myself to cleaning off and
> replacing thermal compound even if we are wrong) - can anybody
> confirm that my guess is right?
>
> Secondly - advice on heatsink replacements please.
>
> The 4600 relies on a 120mm case fan and plastic duct to cool the CPU -
> something we cannot reproduce on the new case (which does not have
> 120mm mounting holes). Can anyone suggest a CPU heatsink and fan that
> will fit onto the CPU using the existing 4600 mounting clip
> arrangement?
>
> Or am I being a fool to even consider rehousing a 4600?
>
> John Geddes
> Derbyshire UK

In addition to all that has already been said, Dell has a proprietary ATX
non standard power supply.

The ATX power plug will fit, but when you turn it on the motherboard will go
up in a puff of smoke.

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Forget it mate youll come unstuck even at the begining wehen you try and
> connect up the I/O switch
> "John Geddes" <john@starmarkassociates.co.uk> wrote in message
>> My son's 4600 is now out of warranty (bought Nov 2003), and he fancied
>> giving it a facelift with a new case (standard ATX format).
>>
>> We have undone all the visible motherboard screws, but the motherboard
>> is still tethered - it looks as if there is a screw underneath the CPU
>> heatsink.
>>
>> Before we remove that (and thereby commit myself to cleaning off and
>> replacing thermal compound even if we are wrong) - can anybody
>> confirm that my guess is right?
>>
>> Secondly - advice on heatsink replacements please.
>>
>> The 4600 relies on a 120mm case fan and plastic duct to cool the CPU -
>> something we cannot reproduce on the new case (which does not have
>> 120mm mounting holes). Can anyone suggest a CPU heatsink and fan that
>> will fit onto the CPU using the existing 4600 mounting clip
>> arrangement?
>>
>> Or am I being a fool to even consider rehousing a 4600?
>>
>> John Geddes
>> Derbyshire UK

Not with P4 systems. The ATX and 12V connectors from power supply to
motherboard meet the ATX standard. And the power supplies themselves have
standard dimensions. I refurbed a Dell 4400 system by installing a standard
ATX-P4 power supply, Antec as I recall.

But it WAS easy to smoke a Dell P3 motherboard with a standard ATX power supply
for the reason you mentioned.

Please, let's not spread rumors unfounded in fact... Ben Myers

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:56:36 -0500, "schema" <schema46@hotmail.com> wrote:

>In addition to all that has already been said, Dell has a proprietary ATX
>non standard power supply.
>
>The ATX power plug will fit, but when you turn it on the motherboard will go
>up in a puff of smoke.
>

>"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Forget it mate youll come unstuck even at the begining wehen you try and
>> connect up the I/O switch
>> "John Geddes" <john@starmarkassociates.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> My son's 4600 is now out of warranty (bought Nov 2003), and he fancied
>>> giving it a facelift with a new case (standard ATX format).
>>>
>>> We have undone all the visible motherboard screws, but the motherboard
>>> is still tethered - it looks as if there is a screw underneath the CPU
>>> heatsink.
>>>
>>> Before we remove that (and thereby commit myself to cleaning off and
>>> replacing thermal compound even if we are wrong) - can anybody
>>> confirm that my guess is right?
>>>
>>> Secondly - advice on heatsink replacements please.
>>>
>>> The 4600 relies on a 120mm case fan and plastic duct to cool the CPU -
>>> something we cannot reproduce on the new case (which does not have
>>> 120mm mounting holes). Can anyone suggest a CPU heatsink and fan that
>>> will fit onto the CPU using the existing 4600 mounting clip
>>> arrangement?
>>>
>>> Or am I being a fool to even consider rehousing a 4600?
>>>
>>> John Geddes
>>> Derbyshire UK

Well excuse me Mr Myers, but we have a fleet of Optiplex's at the small
college where I am the IT manager.
The voltage pinouts on the GX 260's that we own are non-standard. Not sure
about the GX 270's and 280's.

Consumer models may be different I expect, we don't buy them.

> Not with P4 systems. The ATX and 12V connectors from power supply to
> motherboard meet the ATX standard. And the power supplies themselves have
> standard dimensions. I refurbed a Dell 4400 system by installing a
> standard
> ATX-P4 power supply, Antec as I recall.
>
> But it WAS easy to smoke a Dell P3 motherboard with a standard ATX power
> supply
> for the reason you mentioned.
>
> Please, let's not spread rumors unfounded in fact... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:56:36 -0500, "schema" <schema46@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>In addition to all that has already been said, Dell has a proprietary ATX
>>non standard power supply.
>>
>>The ATX power plug will fit, but when you turn it on the motherboard will
>>go
>>up in a puff of smoke.
>>

>>"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Forget it mate youll come unstuck even at the begining wehen you try and
>>> connect up the I/O switch
>>> "John Geddes" <john@starmarkassociates.co.uk> wrote in message

"John Geddes" <john@starmarkassociates.co.uk> wrote in message
> My son's 4600 is now out of warranty (bought Nov 2003), and he fancied
> giving it a facelift with a new case (standard ATX format).
>
> We have undone all the visible motherboard screws, but the motherboard
> is still tethered - it looks as if there is a screw underneath the CPU
> heatsink.
>
> Before we remove that (and thereby commit myself to cleaning off and
> replacing thermal compound even if we are wrong) - can anybody
> confirm that my guess is right?

(12) screws total hold the board in; 8 in the board itself, another 4 hold
the heatsink pedestal (and go through the pedestal/mb/to the case). Don't
forget to remove any plastic cover caps on the exterior video or audio ports
(if applicable), as they will also hamper the board from releasing the EMI/
rear I-O shield.

You can safely return the original heatsink and compound on top of the chip
by matching the compound impression marks on both.

I'd also add that you really don't wish to use this board in a retail case
due to proprietary connections. Go ahead and pickup a good retail Intel 865
based ATX mb and move everything else over to the retail case.

> Secondly - advice on heatsink replacements please.
>
> The 4600 relies on a 120mm case fan and plastic duct to cool the CPU -
> something we cannot reproduce on the new case (which does not have
> 120mm mounting holes). Can anyone suggest a CPU heatsink and fan that
> will fit onto the CPU using the existing 4600 mounting clip
> arrangement?
>
> Or am I being a fool to even consider rehousing a 4600?
>
> John Geddes
> Derbyshire UK

As I mentioned above, go ahead and get an Intel 865 based retail board and
pickup an (active/fanned) heatsink cooler to go with that board. Move your
RAM, drives and cards over. Since you've already got the case, the board
will likely cost you less than $100 U.S.

Good luck,

Stew

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. It may help me avoid a catastrophe
servicing a P4 Optiplex.

By contrast, all the P4 Dimensions I have encountered use the standard ATX-12v
pinout. Go figure. Why do proprietary connectors? It just makes service more
difficult, complicates spare parts inventory, but does add to the perception
that the Optiplex is the more elite brand.

Maybe somebody could build a spreadsheet showing which Dell models use
proprietary ATX pinouts and which ones do not? Starting, say, with Pentium III
class machines? ... Ben Myers

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:51:10 -0500, "schema" <schema46@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Well excuse me Mr Myers, but we have a fleet of Optiplex's at the small
>college where I am the IT manager.
>The voltage pinouts on the GX 260's that we own are non-standard. Not sure
>about the GX 270's and 280's.
>
>Consumer models may be different I expect, we don't buy them.

>> Not with P4 systems. The ATX and 12V connectors from power supply to
>> motherboard meet the ATX standard. And the power supplies themselves have
>> standard dimensions. I refurbed a Dell 4400 system by installing a
>> standard
>> ATX-P4 power supply, Antec as I recall.
>>
>> But it WAS easy to smoke a Dell P3 motherboard with a standard ATX power
>> supply
>> for the reason you mentioned.
>>
>> Please, let's not spread rumors unfounded in fact... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:56:36 -0500, "schema" <schema46@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>In addition to all that has already been said, Dell has a proprietary ATX
>>>non standard power supply.
>>>
>>>The ATX power plug will fit, but when you turn it on the motherboard will
>>>go
>>>up in a puff of smoke.
>>>

>>>"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Good idea Ben. Would be nice if Dell would do it.

I was talking to a colleage today who says that the 270 and 280 may be
standard. Sure would be good to know....

TRENDING THREADS