Nvidia Ion or AMD Fusion

Hello all, it has been a very long time since I posted in here.

I am now in my second semester of college as an engineering student, and require a laptop for my programming class. The compiler I'm using is basic: Bloodshed Dev C++, and I'm sure any old laptop could run it. However, I am also an avid Minecraft player, and whenever I'm at a friend's house or out of town, I am jealous of my friends playing minecraft on their laptops while I have to wait to get home to my home built system.

My problem is this: I am constrained on a budget. $500 would be my max, and I will not settle for Intel HD graphics, because they simply blow. I have always been interested in Nvidia Ion, and it was my first choice, but now I'm not so sure. Has anyone ever tried the AMD fusion versus Nvidia? I am aware the CPUs are comparable, but the GPUs I am out of touch because I haven't been keeping up with current tech.

The netbooks in question are the Asus 1215n and the Asus 1215b. Both are ~400-450, and both have about 6 hours of battery life.

Any advice would be appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about nvidia fusion
  1. thesupermedium said:
    Hello all, it has been a very long time since I posted in here.

I am now in my second semester of college as an engineering student, and require a laptop for my programming class. The compiler I'm using is basic: Bloodshed Dev C++, and I'm sure any old laptop could run it. However, I am also an avid Minecraft player, and whenever I'm at a friend's house or out of town, I am jealous of my friends playing minecraft on their laptops while I have to wait to get home to my home built system.

My problem is this: I am constrained on a budget. $500 would be my max, and I will not settle for Intel HD graphics, because they simply blow. I have always been interested in Nvidia Ion, and it was my first choice, but now I'm not so sure. Has anyone ever tried the AMD fusion versus Nvidia? I am aware the CPUs are comparable, but the GPUs I am out of touch because I haven't been keeping up with current tech.

The netbooks in question are the Asus 1215n and the Asus 1215b. Both are ~400-450, and both have about 6 hours of battery life.

Any advice would be appreciated.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-e-350-atom-d525-nvidia-ion-2,2905-4.html

It seems like the Fusion does better in CPU focused games so it might be the better choice for Minecraft.
  2. Thanks for the reply,

I actually just noticed that after googling it some more. I came to the same conclusion. Though it isn't a gaming computer, it would be sufficient for my needs.

I think I'll go ahead with getting it. Talk about a quick conclusion!
  3. I should point out you could find an amd a6 or a8 apu laptop for under 500. They have much better igp than any other laptop.
  4. It's worth noting that Atom doesn't support out of order execution or 64-bit extensions if you need more RAM
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops