Thank you for reading! Sorry in advance for typos or bad english lol
1. What is your budget?
$1500 - $2000
I want to keep this laptop at least 3~4 yrs.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15 inch ~ 17 should be ok. I think beyond 17 inch is too much.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I need a laptop that can handle every desktop-tasks. Weight is one of important factors, but it's not as critical as its performance.
5. How much battery life do you need?
this laptop will be tethered 99% of time. 1~2 hrs should be enough.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I believe i will play many games from steam, MW3 and some others. Currently i'm playing counterstrike source and half-life 2, but my old HP laptop cannot handle them anymore....
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
a gaming laptop should have enough processing power for MATLAB and some other simulation programs i think...
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Over 500GB 7200rpm should be enough. but if possible, i want to try a SSD as my main hard drive. (if affordable) I already have an external hard drive.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I don't have a blu-ray disc, but if there is a blu-ray ODD option, i would take it.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Currently, i have a HP laptop. it has served me perfectly for last 3 years. If i need an average laptop, i would purchase a HP laptop but this is not the case.
I heard AMD GPUs are showing great performance in these days.... But many games are still optimized for nVIDIA. It's really hard to make a decision.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I want a laptop with great processing power, so i can use it both for my school works and gaming. preferably a laptop that is upgrade-able.
Thank you guys all for great technical tips. hope i get a good answer from this forum!
P170HM-3DE if ya into 3D gaming
This is 170H - $1700 w/ several upgrades
17.3" 1920 x 1080 Full HD (16:9) LED
Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor, 2.2 GHz
8GB, PC3-12800/1600Mhz DDR3 - 2 x 4GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M w/1.5GB GDDR5
750GB/7200rpm Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid Drive w/8GB SSD Memory SATA-600 (SATA III 6GB/s)
4x Max. Blu-Ray Reader / 8x Max. DVD±R/2.4X Max. +DL Super-Multi Drive [
Windows 7 Professional Edition 64-bit
Intel Advance-N 6230 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Combo
Built-In 2.0M Pixels Digital Video Camera
Built-In Fingerprint Reader
Built-In Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Built-In 9-IN-1 Flash Memory Reader(MMC/RSMMC/MS/MS Pro/MS DUO/SD/Mini-SD/SDHC/SDXC)
1 IEEE-1394a Fire Wire
2 USB 2.0 Ports
2 USB 3.0 Ports
1 eSATA Port
1 HDMI Output
1 DVI-I Port
1 CATV Port
1 Kensington Lock Port
Built-in Microphone, 4 Speakers and 1 Sub-Woofer
4 Audio Jacks for Headphone, Microphone-In, S/PDIF-Out, and Line-In
1 100/240V Autoswitch AC Power Adapter
Standard Carrying Case with Strap
$100 discount for P170HM over $1500 per unit excluding taxes, recycle fee, shipping and accessories
Thank you for a quick reply. I think Sager NP8150 (or 150HM) is a good choice. But if you have any other recommendations from other manufacturers, please give it to me. i want to consider as many options as possible.