DHCP and L400

I am setting up a Latitude L400 for a friend with W200 through a Netgear
router.
DHCP won't function. If I put in settings on NIC and run ipconfig those
settings are OK and I can connect to other machine on (home) network (these
settings are the same as for another Dell which is disconnected and work)
but I can't get internet access.
Have updated 3com NIC with latest driver.
Any thoughts?

Regards
Chris Curtis

"Chris Curtis" <newsgroup@nospam.net> wrote in message
>I am setting up a Latitude L400 for a friend with W200 through a Netgear
>router.
> DHCP won't function. If I put in settings on NIC and run ipconfig those
> settings are OK and I can connect to other machine on (home) network
> (these settings are the same as for another Dell which is disconnected and
> work) but I can't get internet access.
> Have updated 3com NIC with latest driver.
> Any thoughts?
>
> Regards
> Chris Curtis

define "cant get internet access" ...

are you saying that you cant open your web browser and hit www.msn.com ?

can you ping the name of your homepage? Do you know what ping is?

can you ping 198.6.1.1 (uunet DNS server)?

Since you have the same "network setup" as your work (which isnt a brilliant
idea), are you using the same DNS servers in the DHCP setup on the netgear
that you have at the office?

- NuTs

"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message

> "Chris Curtis" <newsgroup@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>I am setting up a Latitude L400 for a friend with W200 through a Netgear
>>router.
>> DHCP won't function. If I put in settings on NIC and run ipconfig those
>> settings are OK and I can connect to other machine on (home) network
>> (these settings are the same as for another Dell which is disconnected
>> and work) but I can't get internet access.
>> Have updated 3com NIC with latest driver.
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Regards
>> Chris Curtis
>

> define "cant get internet access" ...
>
> are you saying that you cant open your web browser and hit www.msn.com ?
>
> can you ping the name of your homepage? Do you know what ping is?
>
> can you ping 198.6.1.1 (uunet DNS server)?
>
> Since you have the same "network setup" as your work (which isnt a
> brilliant idea), are you using the same DNS servers in the DHCP setup on
> the netgear that you have at the office?
>
> - NuTs

Sorry guys, my original post wasn't very clear; not least for 'work' read
'works'! Too much mulled wine!
However, all seems to be OK now though the only thing I've done differently
is actually uninstall the NIC in W2000 and disable it in bios. In any case
thanks for your interest!
Happy New Year!

heh ... cheers.

- NuTs