No users on Welcome Screen (XP Home)

A friend brought in his laptop and said he couldn't get Windows to run.

I booted it up and when it gets to the welcome screen no users appear. So I
tried hitting the C-A-D keys twice to get the traditional log in, which
works but I still can't log in. I tried "Guest", "Administrator" and
neither worked.

So I re-installed windows over itself and it still has the same problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
CB Hamlyn
4 answers Last reply
More about users screen home

    "CB Hamlyn" <cbh@newenglandhomes.net> wrote in message
    >A friend brought in his laptop and said he couldn't get Windows to run.
    >
    > I booted it up and when it gets to the welcome screen no users appear. So
    > I tried hitting the C-A-D keys twice to get the traditional log in, which
    > works but I still can't log in. I tried "Guest", "Administrator" and
    > neither worked.
    >
    > So I re-installed windows over itself and it still has the same problem.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    > CB Hamlyn

    You WILL be able to login as the local administrator if -
    1. you know the name of the administrator account - it may have been
    changed from "Administrator"
    2. you know the password for the account in 1.

    Are you certain you have both 1 and 2 correct ?

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "CB Hamlyn" <cbh@newenglandhomes.net> wrote in message
    >A friend brought in his laptop and said he couldn't get Windows to run.
    >
    > I booted it up and when it gets to the welcome screen no users appear. So
    > I tried hitting the C-A-D keys twice to get the traditional log in, which
    > works but I still can't log in. I tried "Guest", "Administrator" and
    > neither worked.
    >
    > So I re-installed windows over itself and it still has the same problem.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    > CB Hamlyn

    >>A friend brought in his laptop and said he couldn't get Windows to run.
    >>
    >> I booted it up and when it gets to the welcome screen no users appear.
    >> So I tried hitting the C-A-D keys twice to get the traditional log in,
    >> which works but I still can't log in. I tried "Guest", "Administrator"
    >> and neither worked.
    >>
    >> So I re-installed windows over itself and it still has the same problem.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >> CB Hamlyn
    >
    > You WILL be able to login as the local administrator if -
    > 1. you know the name of the administrator account - it may have been
    > changed from "Administrator"
    > 2. you know the password for the account in 1.
    >
    > Are you certain you have both 1 and 2 correct ?

    I'm not absolutely certain, but I can tell you the owner of the laptop is
    not computer savvy and would not likely have ever used the Administrator
    account. As far as #2 goes, when I reinstalled windows I set up a user
    account "Mel" with no password, which also doesn't work. It's almost like
    there are no users at all.

    Try formatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows. Or if the laptop
    came with a restore disk, use that. It should restore the computer to it's
    original configuration. Of course in either case, all files on the computer
    will be lost.

    Jim W.
    http://www.gatorgrad.com

    "CB Hamlyn" <cbh@newenglandhomes.net> wrote in message
    >A friend brought in his laptop and said he couldn't get Windows to run.
    >
    > I booted it up and when it gets to the welcome screen no users appear. So
    > I tried hitting the C-A-D keys twice to get the traditional log in, which
    > works but I still can't log in. I tried "Guest", "Administrator" and
    > neither worked.
    >
    > So I re-installed windows over itself and it still has the same problem.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    > CB Hamlyn

    I figured it'd come to that. I'll slave the drive, get what I can off of it
    then reformat.

    Thanks for the advice.
    CB

    "." <gatorgrad@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Try formatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows. Or if the laptop
    > came with a restore disk, use that. It should restore the computer to
    > it's original configuration. Of course in either case, all files on the
    > computer will be lost.
    >
    > Jim W.
    > http://www.gatorgrad.com
    >
    > "CB Hamlyn" <cbh@newenglandhomes.net> wrote in message
    >>A friend brought in his laptop and said he couldn't get Windows to run.
    >>
    >> I booted it up and when it gets to the welcome screen no users appear.
    >> So I tried hitting the C-A-D keys twice to get the traditional log in,
    >> which works but I still can't log in. I tried "Guest", "Administrator"
    >> and neither worked.
    >>
    >> So I re-installed windows over itself and it still has the same problem.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >> CB Hamlyn

Login Windows XP