No users on Welcome Screen (XP Home)

A friend brought in his laptop and said he couldn't get Windows to run.

I booted it up and when it gets to the welcome screen no users appear. So I
tried hitting the C-A-D keys twice to get the traditional log in, which
works but I still can't log in. I tried "Guest", "Administrator" and
neither worked.

So I re-installed windows over itself and it still has the same problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
CB Hamlyn

"CB Hamlyn" <cbh@newenglandhomes.net> wrote in message
>A friend brought in his laptop and said he couldn't get Windows to run.
>
> I booted it up and when it gets to the welcome screen no users appear. So
> I tried hitting the C-A-D keys twice to get the traditional log in, which
> works but I still can't log in. I tried "Guest", "Administrator" and
> neither worked.
>
> So I re-installed windows over itself and it still has the same problem.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> CB Hamlyn

You WILL be able to login as the local administrator if -
1. you know the name of the administrator account - it may have been
changed from "Administrator"
2. you know the password for the account in 1.

Are you certain you have both 1 and 2 correct ?

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"CB Hamlyn" <cbh@newenglandhomes.net> wrote in message
>A friend brought in his laptop and said he couldn't get Windows to run.
>
> I booted it up and when it gets to the welcome screen no users appear. So
> I tried hitting the C-A-D keys twice to get the traditional log in, which
> works but I still can't log in. I tried "Guest", "Administrator" and
> neither worked.
>
> So I re-installed windows over itself and it still has the same problem.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> CB Hamlyn

>>A friend brought in his laptop and said he couldn't get Windows to run.
>>
>> I booted it up and when it gets to the welcome screen no users appear.
>> So I tried hitting the C-A-D keys twice to get the traditional log in,
>> which works but I still can't log in. I tried "Guest", "Administrator"
>> and neither worked.
>>
>> So I re-installed windows over itself and it still has the same problem.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>> CB Hamlyn
>
> You WILL be able to login as the local administrator if -
> 1. you know the name of the administrator account - it may have been
> changed from "Administrator"
> 2. you know the password for the account in 1.
>
> Are you certain you have both 1 and 2 correct ?

I'm not absolutely certain, but I can tell you the owner of the laptop is
not computer savvy and would not likely have ever used the Administrator
account. As far as #2 goes, when I reinstalled windows I set up a user
account "Mel" with no password, which also doesn't work. It's almost like
there are no users at all.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Try formatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows. Or if the laptop
came with a restore disk, use that. It should restore the computer to it's
original configuration. Of course in either case, all files on the computer
will be lost.

Jim W.
http://www.gatorgrad.com

"CB Hamlyn" <cbh@newenglandhomes.net> wrote in message
>A friend brought in his laptop and said he couldn't get Windows to run.
>
> I booted it up and when it gets to the welcome screen no users appear. So
> I tried hitting the C-A-D keys twice to get the traditional log in, which
> works but I still can't log in. I tried "Guest", "Administrator" and
> neither worked.
>
> So I re-installed windows over itself and it still has the same problem.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> CB Hamlyn

I figured it'd come to that. I'll slave the drive, get what I can off of it
then reformat.

Thanks for the advice.
CB