XP and W98 computers and 3 x printers on LAN all attached ..

How can I connect up my printers so that they are independant of any
computer. They are all connected to the Router and have own IP addresses.
When I add a printer to one computer using the IP address, the other
computers can only use it through "sharing" which rather defeats the
objective.
I have spent hours trying to resolve this. The 3 printers have all been
given specific IP addresses thru their own consoles (192.168.1.nnn).
They can all be pinged.
Desperate for solution.
Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about computers printers attached

    I'm not sure how XP factors in to the equation, but in the past I have done
    what you're attempting. It was on Win98 and Win2k LANs. It worked for me
    after I installed the printer drivers on each computer and created a local
    printer port that was a TCP/IP address. So each computer independently
    looked to that address of the printer. Give it a shot, it may work for you.

    Jim W.
    http://www.gatorgrad.com

    "ATK" <zen18242@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
    > How can I connect up my printers so that they are independant of any
    > computer. They are all connected to the Router and have own IP addresses.
    > When I add a printer to one computer using the IP address, the other
    > computers can only use it through "sharing" which rather defeats the
    > objective.
    > I have spent hours trying to resolve this. The 3 printers have all been
    > given specific IP addresses thru their own consoles (192.168.1.nnn).
    > They can all be pinged.
    > Desperate for solution.
    > Thanks

Computers Printers Windows XP