What is a Print Server

I have a Vigor 2600 Router/Switch, into which my 3 printers and 4 computers
(XP PRO and W98SE) are connected direct. All have their own IP addresses and
File Sharing works perfectly.
However, the printers are a different problem and apparently can only be
used by all the computers thru "Sharing" which is no good.
Does this configuration constitute a Print Server for printing?
Help please.
2 answers Last reply
More about what print server

    I replied to your previous post with the way I had solved your problem in
    the past. I'm no expert but I believe a print server is a computer that
    handles all print traffic before it goes to the printer. For the most part
    it stores the data until the printer can take the data to print. I think
    it's really only necessary in a business where a great deal of printing is
    done on a particular printer. Your computers could act as a server but you
    don't want that because that particular computer would have to be on all the
    time in order to print. I think if you set up your printers and printer
    drivers as explained in my previous post, you'll get the results you're
    looking for. Good luck.

    Jim W.
    http://www.gatorgrad.com

    ATK wrote:
    > I have a Vigor 2600 Router/Switch, into which my 3 printers and 4 computers
    > (XP PRO and W98SE) are connected direct. All have their own IP addresses and
    > File Sharing works perfectly.
    > However, the printers are a different problem and apparently can only be
    > used by all the computers thru "Sharing" which is no good.
    > Does this configuration constitute a Print Server for printing?
    > Help please.

    Yes, printers installed onto one computer and then "shared" would mean
    that you've created a print server.

    If print sharing isn't the route you want, why did you choose it? As
    the printers are all connected to your router/switch (which is it, by
    the way?), they obviously have network cards built-in. Why not install
    them as local printers on the PCs by creating/adding a standard TCP/IP
    port to each computer? (Although I don't recall if Win98 had this
    capability.)

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: