damping matrix, aether vail, sun droplet darksteel reactor..

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I am play testing a deck which uses artifacts that gather charge
counters and dismantle which help for the casting of large creatures
and winning with darksteel reactor. Unfortunately the first deck I've
tried it on has damping matrix in play. My question is which of my
main cards does the damping matrix affect.

My guess is the aether vail and coretapper (which is bad enough :-( )
devastating if its the sun droplet and darksteel reactor as well.
Although dismantle can save the game.

Phil wrote:
> I am play testing a deck which uses artifacts that gather charge
> counters and dismantle which help for the casting of large creatures
> and winning with darksteel reactor.

C'mon! Have some fun with it! Drop a bunch of counters on Jinxed Choker
right before you pass it on to your opponent and watch the look on his face.

--
Gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:45:28 GMT, Phil <phil@giltharn.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>I am play testing a deck which uses artifacts that gather charge
>counters and dismantle which help for the casting of large creatures
>and winning with darksteel reactor. Unfortunately the first deck I've
>tried it on has damping matrix in play. My question is which of my
>main cards does the damping matrix affect.

It affects cards with: activated abilities.

It does not affect triggered abilities at all. If the ability starts with
"when", "whenever", or "at", the ability isn't one that Damping Matrix can
touch. So it does't affect any of the Reactor's three abilities at all, for
example - one of them is a static ability and the other two are triggered.

>My guess is the aether vail and coretapper (which is bad enough :-( )
>devastating if its the sun droplet and darksteel reactor as well.

It doesn't affect putting the charge counters on the Vial, that's from a
triggered ability. It stops you from using the Tap-cost activated ability of
the Vial.

It stops you from using both of Coretapper's activated abilities.

As noted above, it doesn't do anything to Darksteel Reactor at all.

Both of Sun Droplet's abilities are triggered, so Damping Matrix does not
stop either one.

Dave

phil@giltharn.demon.co.uk (Phil) writes:
> I am play testing a deck which uses artifacts that gather charge
> counters and dismantle which help for the casting of large creatures
> and winning with darksteel reactor. Unfortunately the first deck I've
> tried it on has damping matrix in play. My question is which of my
> main cards does the damping matrix affect.

Damping Matrix prevents you from playing non-mana activated
abilities. While there seems to be a lot of confusion, activated
abilities are real easy to spot. An ability is activated if it has a
colon :)) in it, as the ability is written "<cost>: <effect>". For
newer cards, you can just look at them; but for older cards you need
to look the card up in Oracle to see if it has a colon
(http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dci/oracle).

It should also be noted that the two keyword abilities of Cycling and
Equip are activated. Their definitions in the rule book use a colon,
and their reminder text does as well to remind you. Some Imprint
abilities are also activated, but only if it has the magic colon in
its text.

> My guess is the aether vail

It stops the {T} activated ability of AEther Vial, but not the
triggered one at the beginning of your upkeep.

> and coretapper (which is bad enough :-( )

Both of Coretapper's abilities are activated.

> devastating if its the sun droplet and darksteel reactor as well.

Neither of those have any activated abilities.

--
Peter C.
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not

>My question is which of my
> main cards does the damping matrix affect.
>
> My guess is the aether vail and coretapper (which is bad enough :-( )
> devastating if its the sun droplet and darksteel reactor as well.
> Although dismantle can save the game.

As the other people have said is that it affects any artifact or creature
with a "cost: effect" ability. I love Damping Matrix and one of my
playtesting guinea pigs is my wife. She uses a like mnemonic device to
remember how Damping Matrix effects stuff. She thinks "Activated Colon!!"
:)

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 13:26:06 -0500, "Zaxx" <bogus@cox.net> wrote:

>Phil wrote:
>> I am play testing a deck which uses artifacts that gather charge
>> counters and dismantle which help for the casting of large creatures
>> and winning with darksteel reactor.
>
>C'mon! Have some fun with it! Drop a bunch of counters on Jinxed Choker
>right before you pass it on to your opponent and watch the look on his face.

Ever since I got 2 of these cards I had never understood what they
were about. I read them as being a curse....IE that they kept doing
dammage to me....but your wright that would be so mean :)
I've been hoping to win the game by him doing 19 to me with the sun
droplet then me destroying it with the dismantle and putting it on the
darksteel reactor but the 3 card combo has not worked yet ;-)

Phil wrote:

> Ever since I got 2 of these cards I had never understood what they
> were about. I read them as being a curse....IE that they kept doing
> dammage to me....but your wright that would be so mean :)

Now repeat after me: <evilLaugh.wav>

> I've been hoping to win the game by him doing 19 to me with the sun
> droplet then me destroying it with the dismantle and putting it on the
> darksteel reactor but the 3 card combo has not worked yet ;-)

All you need is 10 on the Reactor. Dismantle the Reactor itself and drop
those extra 10 counters right back on it.

--

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:17:29 -0500, "Zaxx" <bogus@cox.net> wrote:

>Phil wrote:
>
>> Ever since I got 2 of these cards I had never understood what they
>> were about. I read them as being a curse....IE that they kept doing
>> dammage to me....but your wright that would be so mean :)
>
>Now repeat after me: <evilLaugh.wav>
>
>> I've been hoping to win the game by him doing 19 to me with the sun
>> droplet then me destroying it with the dismantle and putting it on the
>> darksteel reactor but the 3 card combo has not worked yet ;-)
>
>All you need is 10 on the Reactor. Dismantle the Reactor itself and drop
>those extra 10 counters right back on it.
>
>--
Now you have me intreged ........ what you are saying is that whilst
it is impossible to destroy the reactor I can by using dismantle take
10 counters from it whilst the original 10 counters remain there and
drop them on it thus making the 20 to win the game.

I may just start to move this deck up a few notches towards my fav
deck :)