Can Stifle counter whatever effect occurs when a card is cycled?

The following ruling on cycling seems to say to say no:

<quote>
502.18.Ruling.1 - Using Cycling is not a spell, it's an activated ability of
a card in your hand. It cannot be countered by things which counter spells
or things that counter activated abilities of permanents. [D'Angelo
1999/05/01]
</quote>

This ruling on Stifle also seems to indicate the answer is no:

</quote>
It can target delayed triggered abilities. For example, a card that says
"Whenever a player cycles a card, you may remove target creature from the
game. If you do, return that creature to play at end of turn." triggers when
a player cycles a card and creates a delayed trigger that happens at end of
turn. You can choose to target the "at end of turn" trigger when it is
placed on the stack at end of turn. [Scourge FAQ 2003/05/30]
</quote>

Or does it all depend on the card being cycled? Can you Stifle Decree of
Justice but not Noble Templar?

--
Gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

Zaxx <bogus@cox.net> wrote:

> Can Stifle counter whatever effect occurs when a card is cycled?

Stifle
{U}
Instant
Counter target activated or triggered ability. (Mana abilities can't be
countered.)

502.18. Cycling

502.18a Cycling is an activated ability that functions only while the
card with cycling is in a player's hand. The phrase "Cycling [cost]"
means "[Cost], Discard this card from your hand: Draw a card."

502.18b Although the cycling ability is playable only if the card is in
a player's hand, it continues to exist while the object is in play and
in all other zones. Therefore objects with cycling will be affected by
effects that depend on objects having one or more activated abilities.

502.18c Landcycling is a variant of the cycling ability. The phrase
"[Land type]cycling [cost]" means "[Cost], Discard this card from your
hand: Search your library for a [land type] card, reveal it, and put it
into your hand. Then shuffle your library." Any cards that trigger when
a player cycles a card will trigger when a card's landcycling ability is
played. Any effect that stops players from cycling cards will stop
players from playing cards' landcycling abilities.

Mana abilities can't be countered. There are one or two abilities that
explicitly state that they can not be countered. But neither of these
exempts a cycling ability from Stifle.

> The following ruling on cycling seems to say to say no:
>
> <quote>
> 502.18.Ruling.1 - Using Cycling is not a spell, it's an activated ability of
> a card in your hand. It cannot be countered by things which counter spells
> or things that counter activated abilities of permanents. [D'Angelo
> 1999/05/01]
> </quote>

Why "no"? Stifle *explicitly* counters abilities.

> This ruling on Stifle also seems to indicate the answer is no:
>
> </quote>
> It can target delayed triggered abilities. For example, a card that says
> "Whenever a player cycles a card, you may remove target creature from the
> game. If you do, return that creature to play at end of turn." triggers when
> a player cycles a card and creates a delayed trigger that happens at end of
> turn. You can choose to target the "at end of turn" trigger when it is
> placed on the stack at end of turn. [Scourge FAQ 2003/05/30]
> </quote>

????

> Or does it all depend on the card being cycled? Can you Stifle Decree of
> Justice but not Noble Templar?

Decree of Justice
{X}{X}{2}{W}{W}
Sorcery
Put X 4/4 white Angel creature tokens with flying into play.
Cycling {2}{W}
When you cycle Decree of Justice, you may pay {X}. If you do, put X 1/1
white Soldier creature tokens into play.

Noble Templar
{5}{W}
Creature -- Cleric Soldier
3/6
Attacking doesn't cause Noble Templar to tap.
Plainscycling {2} ({2}, Discard this card from your hand: Search your
library for a Plains card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then
shuffle your library.)

Stifle can't touch either of these when played as a spell, and Noble
Templar's static "Attacking doesn't cause Noble Templar to tap." ability
can never be a target of anything, but I don't see anything that would
make it difficult for Stifle to counter a cycling ability itself or an
ability triggered by cycling.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

"Zaxx" <bogus@cox.net> writes:
> Can Stifle counter whatever effect occurs when a card is cycled?

Yes, although it wouldn't counter the card draw.

When something triggers on cycling, it triggers on the ability being
played (paying the cost and discarding the card). So when you play
Decree of Justice's cycling ability (by paying {2}{W} and discarding
it), the "Draw a card" goes on the stack, and the "When you cycle
Decree of Justice, You may pay {X}. If you do, put X 1/1 white Soldier
creature tokens into play" goes on the stack on top of it.

The "Draw a card" is an activated ability, and the "When you cycle..."
is a triggered ability. Stifle can target (and then counter) either of
them. To counter both, you would need 2 Stifles.

--
Peter C.
"In a display of perverse brilliance, Carl the repairman mistakes a

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:39:46 -0500, Zaxx <bogus@cox.net> wrote:
>Can Stifle counter whatever effect occurs when a card is cycled?

Yes.

Cycling itself is an activated ability (though not one from any sort of
permanent in play); Stifle can counter activated abilities.

Some cycling cards also have a triggered ability that triggers off cycling
the card; Stifle can counter that, because it can counter triggered abilities.
(One Stifle can't counter BOTH a Decree of Justice being cycled AND the
triggered ability that triggers from that, you'd need two Stifles, but if
you had two you could counter both.)

>The following ruling on cycling seems to say to say no:
>
><quote>
>502.18.Ruling.1 - Using Cycling is not a spell, it's an activated ability of
>a card in your hand. It cannot be countered by things which counter spells
>or things that counter activated abilities of permanents. [D'Angelo
>1999/05/01]
></quote>

Well. Does Stifle counter spells? No.
Does Stifle restrict itself to countering activated abilities _of permanents_,
the way, say, Interdict does? No.

Stifle U Instant
Counter target activated or triggered ability. (Mana abilities can't be
countered.)

Interdict can't counter cycling, because it's not an activated ability from
a permanent. But Stifle can.

(Note that Rust, Brown Ouphe, and Ayesha Tanaka, oddly enough, now counter
"target activated ability from an artifact source", and don't restrict
themselves to activated abilities from _artifacts_, meaning in-play, any
more. As far as I can tell, under the current rules Rust _could_ counter
the Cycling of an artifact card ... except that there -are- no artifact
or artifact creature cards, as far as I can also tell, with Cycling or
Landcycling. And Mycosynth Lattice does NOT help here at all, because a
card being cycled doesn't start off in play...)

>This ruling on Stifle also seems to indicate the answer is no:
>
></quote>
>It can target delayed triggered abilities. For example, a card that says
>"Whenever a player cycles a card, you may remove target creature from the
>game. If you do, return that creature to play at end of turn." triggers when
>a player cycles a card and creates a delayed trigger that happens at end of
>turn. You can choose to target the "at end of turn" trigger when it is
>placed on the stack at end of turn. [Scourge FAQ 2003/05/30]
></quote>

No - this says you CAN target delayed triggered abilities. It doesn't say you
CAN'T target the cycling activated ability. [Note that if you do target and
counter the Cycling, that does NOT stop the triggered ability above from
triggering - things that trigger "whenever a player cycles a card" trigger off
announcing the Cycling, which happens before anyone can respond...]

In fact, the Scourge FAQ, which this ruling paraphrases, has two paragraphs
which answer your question, between them, far better:

* Cycling is an activated ability. When a player cycles a card with a cycle
trigger, you can use Stifle to counter either the triggered ability or the
card-drawing ability, but not both.

[Unless you have, as noted above, _two_ Stifles handy, or a Mirari or Fork
or some such Stifle-duplicator.]

* The Onslaught card Astral Slide reads: "Whenever a player cycles a card, you
may remove target creature from the game. If you do, return that creature to
play under its owner's control at end of turn.". This is a triggered ability
that creates a delayed triggered ability when it resolves. You can use Stifle
to counter the triggered ability that removes the creature from the game, or
you can let that resolve and later counter the triggered ability that returns
it to play.

>Or does it all depend on the card being cycled? Can you Stifle Decree of
>Justice but not Noble Templar?

You can Stifle any card being Cycled, as Cycling is an activated ability. If
you do this, the ability is countered, the cycled card already has been
discarded as the cost and can't come back, and the effect does not occur - the
card does not get drawn (or, for landcycling, the library does not get
searched).

_In addition_, you can ALSO Stifle the ability of Decree of Justice which
triggers _from_ cycling it, the one that lets you make Soldiers on resolution;
if you Stifle that rather than the Cycling itself, the player will draw the
card from the Cycling but will not get to pay mana or make Soldiers.

Dave

Daniel W. Johnson wrote:

> Zaxx <bogus@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>The following ruling on cycling seems to say to say no:
>>
>><quote>
>>502.18.Ruling.1 - Using Cycling is not a spell, it's an activated ability of
>>a card in your hand. It cannot be countered by things which counter spells
>>or things that counter activated abilities of permanents. [D'Angelo
>>1999/05/01]
>></quote>
>
> Why "no"? Stifle *explicitly* counters abilities.

The ruling says cycling _cannot_ be countered by "things that
counter activated abilities", so it seems like "no" unless you read
the whole phrase "things that counter activated
abilities _of_permanents_". Well, Stifle wouldn't be countering
the ability of a _permanent_.

Stifle
{U}
Instant
Counter target activated or triggered ability. (Mana abilities can't
be countered.)

OTOH, Stifle does counter "activated abilities of permanents"
and therefore IS a "thing that counter(s) activated abilities
of permanents", so it _cannot_ counter cycling.

Confusing as hell.

Bad ruling?

Sorcier, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> Daniel W. Johnson wrote:
>
> > Zaxx <bogus@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> >>The following ruling on cycling seems to say to say no:
> >>
> >><quote>
> >>502.18.Ruling.1 - Using Cycling is not a spell, it's an activated ability of
> >>a card in your hand. It cannot be countered by things which counter spells
> >>or things that counter activated abilities of permanents. [D'Angelo
> >>1999/05/01]
> >></quote>
> >
> > Why "no"? Stifle *explicitly* counters abilities.
>
> The ruling says cycling _cannot_ be countered by "things that
> counter activated abilities",

No, it says it cannot be countered by "things that counter activated
abilities **of permanents**" (enphasis mine), which is quite different.

> so it seems like "no" unless you read
> the whole phrase "things that counter activated
> abilities _of_permanents_". Well, Stifle wouldn't be countering
> the ability of a _permanent_.

Oh, you noticed that. Then I'm not sure what your point was, sorry.

Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net> wrote:

> OTOH, Stifle does counter "activated abilities of permanents"
> and therefore IS a "thing that counter(s) activated abilities
> of permanents", so it _cannot_ counter cycling.

Which of the following looks more like the text of Stifle?

Stifle
{U}
Instant
Counter target activated or triggered ability. (Mana abilities can't be
countered.)

Stifle
{U}
Instant
Counter target activated or triggered ability of a permanent. (Mana

Jeff Heikkinen wrote:

> Sorcier, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
>
>>The ruling says cycling _cannot_ be countered by "things that
>>counter activated abilities",
>

> No, it says it cannot be countered by "things that counter activated
> abilities **of permanents**" (enphasis mine), which is quite different.
>
>>so it seems like "no" unless you read
>>the whole phrase "things that counter activated
>>abilities _of_permanents_". Well, Stifle wouldn't be countering
>>the ability of a _permanent_.
>

> Oh, you noticed that. Then I'm not sure what your point was, sorry.

That it's easy to misread the passage.

Daniel W. Johnson wrote:

> Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net> wrote:
>

>>OTOH, Stifle does counter "activated abilities of permanents"
>>and therefore IS a "thing that counter(s) activated abilities
>>of permanents", so it _cannot_ counter cycling.
>

> Which of the following looks more like the text of Stifle?

Irrelevant.
The poorly worded phrase says "things that counter activated
abilities of permanents".
Stifle is clearly such a thing.
It can do more than that, but it clearly _can_ do that.
Like I said, it's looking like the ruling is incorrect.

> Stifle
> {U}
> Instant
> Counter target activated or triggered ability. (Mana abilities can't be
> countered.)
>
> Stifle
> {U}
> Instant
> Counter target activated or triggered ability of a permanent. (Mana
> abilities can't be countered.)

Zaxx sez:

<<
>Can Stifle counter whatever effect occurs when a card is cycled?

Yes. The Cycle effect is a triggered ability.

Although a better way to use Stifle would be to counter the cycle itself,
because then the Cycle effect won't trigger AND he doesn't get to draw a card.

<<
><quote>
>502.18.Ruling.1 - Using Cycling is not a spell, it's an activated ability of
>a card in your hand. It cannot be countered by things which counter spells
>or things that counter activated abilities of permanents. [D'Angelo
>1999/05/01]
></quote>

Note the "of permanents" part. Stifle can counter ANY activated ability, so it
can counter Cycling. (This ruling came out before Stifle, which is why it
doesn't take it into account...)

----
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
--Sigmund Freud
"Sometimes a cake is just a cake."
--Deanna Troi, Star Trek: TNG: "Phantasms"

Hello, Andy!
You wrote on 13 Apr 2004 18:31:28 GMT:

>>Can Stifle counter whatever effect occurs when a card is cycled?

AJ> Yes. The Cycle effect is a triggered ability.

AJ> Although a better way to use Stifle would be to counter the
AJ> cycle itself,
AJ> because then the Cycle effect won't trigger AND he doesn't get
AJ> to draw a card.

Wrong here: effects which trigger on cycling (such as various Decrees)
trigger on announcing the ability and go on the stack long before the
opponent can respond with a Stifle (just like Storm ability does not
care for the original spell being countered).

Regards,
Arkady.

djaxmann@aol.computer (Andy Jakcsy) writes:
> Zaxx sez:
>> Can Stifle counter whatever effect occurs when a card is cycled?
>
> Yes. The Cycle effect is a triggered ability.
>
> Although a better way to use Stifle would be to counter the cycle
> itself, because then the Cycle effect won't trigger AND he doesn't
> get to draw a card.

No, be careful there. Things that trigger on cycling trigger off of
the ability being announced. Countering the cycling "Draw a card"
itself won't also counter the triggered ability that's already there.

,----[ Onslaught FAQ ]
`----
,----[ Scourge FAQ ]

(The FAQs are at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/rules/faqs)

--
Peter C.
"Well, yeah, if you want to look at it from a purely *correct* point

Sorcier sez:

<<
>>>502.18.Ruling.1 - Using Cycling is not a spell, it's an activated ability
>of
>>>a card in your hand. It cannot be countered by things which counter spells
>>>or things that counter activated abilities of permanents. [D'Angelo
>>>1999/05/01]
>>></quote>
>>
>> Why "no"? Stifle *explicitly* counters abilities.
>
>The ruling says cycling _cannot_ be countered by "things that
>counter activated abilities",

Read it again. It says it can't be countered by things that counter activated
abilities OF PERMANENTS. Stifle can counter ANY activated ability, whether
it's from a permanent or not.

<<

>OTOH, Stifle does counter "activated abilities of permanents"
>and therefore IS a "thing that counter(s) activated abilities
>of permanents", so it _cannot_ counter cycling.

Oh, boy. That's a knot I really didn't wanna have to untangle.

Think of it this way. Let's say someone built a building that doesn't collapse
from bombs that are planted outside it. Now let's say a bomb is planted inside
it and blows up. That bomb could just as easily been planted outside. Would
you argue that the building can't collapse just because the bomb could be
placed outside the building?

----
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
--Sigmund Freud
"Sometimes a cake is just a cake."
--Deanna Troi, Star Trek: TNG: "Phantasms"

Sorcier sez:

<<
>The poorly worded phrase

....that came out three years before Stifle did...

<<
>says "things that counter activated abilities of permanents".

This was put here so that people wouldn't be confused and try to Interdict
cycling. Interdict is limited to activated abilities of permanents. Stifle
has no such restriction.

----

Andy Jakcsy wrote:

> Sorcier sez:
>
> <<
>
>>The poorly worded phrase
>>

> ...that came out three years before Stifle did...

That explains it then.

Andy Jakcsy wrote:

> Sorcier sez:
>
> <<

>>of

>>>Why "no"? Stifle *explicitly* counters abilities.
>>
>>The ruling says cycling _cannot_ be countered by "things that
>>counter activated abilities",

Read my full post again.

> Read it again.

Read my full post again.
You're the third person who's tried to tell me I didn't read the
full phrase, when my post went on to deliberately show that I did.

> It says it can't be countered by things that counter activated
> abilities OF PERMANENTS. Stifle can counter ANY activated ability, whether
> it's from a permanent or not.

Therefore Stiffle counters activated abilities of permanents.
And cannot be used to counter Cycling.

>>OTOH, Stifle does counter "activated abilities of permanents"
>>and therefore IS a "thing that counter(s) activated abilities
>>of permanents", so it _cannot_ counter cycling.
>
> Oh, boy. That's a knot I really didn't wanna have to untangle.
>
> Think of it this way.

Look, I know how it's suposed to work. But the ruling's wording
is incorrect in today's environment.

> Let's say someone built a building that doesn't collapse
> from bombs that are planted outside it. Now let's say a bomb is planted inside
> it and blows up. That bomb could just as easily been planted outside. Would
> you argue that the building can't collapse just because the bomb could be
> placed outside the building?

That's not inclusive.

The building is not immune to bombs that _can_ be planted outside it.
It is immune to bombs that _ARE_ planted outside it.
If you build a building that is immune to bombs that merely _can_
be planted outside it, it can still possibly be blown up by
some subset of those bombs if planted inside it.

Sorcier, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> Daniel W. Johnson wrote:
>
> > Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net> wrote:
> >

> >>OTOH, Stifle does counter "activated abilities of permanents"
> >>and therefore IS a "thing that counter(s) activated abilities
> >>of permanents", so it _cannot_ counter cycling.
> >

> > Which of the following looks more like the text of Stifle?
>
> Irrelevant.

Very relevant. I honestly don't know how, other than deliberately, the
phrase could be read your way.

> The poorly worded phrase says "things that counter activated
> abilities of permanents".

What would you suggest as a "clearer" replacement **THAT WOULD STILL GET
ALL THE NUANCES CORRECT**? The wording seems to me to be as clear and
succinct as it could possibly be and still meet that goal. It
absolutely needs to specify "of permanents" or use some similar
language, or it becomes *wrong* in the case of Stifle.

Magic cards, rules and rulings have to be read very carefully, and it's
important to read what's there, precisely and literally, not to read
*into* what's there. This is nothing new and isn't in any way specific
to this case; I recommend getting used to it.

Jeff Heikkinen wrote:

> Sorcier, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
>
>>Irrelevant.
>
> Very relevant. I honestly don't know how, other than deliberately, the
> phrase could be read your way.

English.

If I have a gun that can kill any mammals, and they outlaw guns that
can kill humans, my gun becomes illegal.

>>The poorly worded phrase says "things that counter activated
>>abilities of permanents".
>

> What would you suggest as a "clearer" replacement **THAT WOULD STILL GET
> ALL THE NUANCES CORRECT**?

Add the word "only" or "that are restricted to" or such.

If they outlaw guns that can _only_ kill humans, then my gun is
still legal.

> Magic cards, rules and rulings have to be read very carefully, and it's
> important to read what's there, precisely and literally,

I did.
You folks are saying that there is MORE meaning there than what
is written.

> not to read
> *into* what's there.

So please don't.

> This is nothing new and isn't in any way specific
> to this case;

Agreed. These errors are not uncommon in rulings, in ANY game.

> I recommend getting used to it.

I recommend WotC be more careful with "assumed" language, but I
won't expect that they will.

Anyways, as I've been informed later, the wording was likely
correct when written, so they likely didn't blow this one.

Arkady Zilberberg wrote:

> Hello, Andy!
> You wrote on 13 Apr 2004 18:31:28 GMT:
>

>>>Can Stifle counter whatever effect occurs when a card is cycled?
>

> AJ> Yes. The Cycle effect is a triggered ability.
>
> AJ> Although a better way to use Stifle would be to counter the
> AJ> cycle itself,
> AJ> because then the Cycle effect won't trigger AND he doesn't get
> AJ> to draw a card.
>
> Wrong here: effects which trigger on cycling (such as various Decrees)
> trigger on announcing the ability and go on the stack long before the
> opponent can respond with a Stifle (just like Storm ability does not
> care for the original spell being countered).

That's so counter intuitive and seems to defy similar effects.

For example: Damage.

If an effect triggers when damage is dealt, it won't trigger if
a replacement effect prevents that damage will it?
You've "announced" teh damage, but it never occurs.

Why would "announcing" cycling be sufficient when you don't
cycle anything?

Sorcier wrote:

> Arkady Zilberberg wrote:
>
>> Wrong here: effects which trigger on cycling (such as various Decrees)
>> trigger on announcing the ability and go on the stack long before the
>> opponent can respond with a Stifle (just like Storm ability does not
>> care for the original spell being countered).
>
> That's so counter intuitive

Gak, cut that there and pretend I never said the rest.
Within minutes of writing this, three similar effects walked by
and slapped me in the face for dis'ing them.

It's still counter intuitive, but it certaintly isn't unique.

> and seems to defy similar effects.
>
> For example: Damage.
>
> If an effect triggers when damage is dealt, it won't trigger if
> a replacement effect prevents that damage will it?
> You've "announced" teh damage, but it never occurs.
>
> Why would "announcing" cycling be sufficient when you don't
> cycle anything?

Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net> wrote:
>OTOH, Stifle does counter "activated abilities of permanents"
>and therefore IS a "thing that counter(s) activated abilities
>of permanents", so it _cannot_ counter cycling.
>
>Confusing as hell.
>
>Bad ruling?

Bad ruling -paraphrasing- of the Scourge FAQ, essentially. Sorry about that.

Dave

Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net> wrote:
>Arkady Zilberberg wrote:
>> Wrong here: effects which trigger on cycling (such as various Decrees)
>> trigger on announcing the ability and go on the stack long before the
>> opponent can respond with a Stifle (just like Storm ability does not
>> care for the original spell being countered).
>
>That's so counter intuitive and seems to defy similar effects.

No - it works the same as other "whenever a player plays a spell / plays
an activated ability / etc." stuff. Nothing on the cycling-triggered abilities
says it triggers off the Cycling _resolving_, or off the _card being drawn_.

>For example: Damage.
>
>If an effect triggers when damage is dealt, it won't trigger if
>a replacement effect prevents that damage will it?
>You've "announced" teh damage, but it never occurs.

You _never_ "announce" ANY damage other than combat damage. Every single
spell or ability that deals damage deals it on resolution, as does combat
damage; _only_ combat damage has to 'assign' the damage earlier. Everything
else creates the damage (and its amount) on the spot on resolution.

So no, it's not surprising that this doesn't work the same as "announcing
damage", since only one thing does that.

>Why would "announcing" cycling be sufficient when you don't
>cycle anything?

You've +played the Cycling ability+. It hasn't resolved yet; nothing in the
trigger condition says it has to have resolved, or that you have to have
drawn the card, to trigger the ability. The relevant FAQ specifically notes
that such triggered abilities trigger off -announcing- Cycling - playing it -
as does <checks> the rulebook, indirectly in 502.18c .

Dave

Sorcier sez:

<<
>Jeff Heikkinen wrote:
>
>> Sorcier, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
>>
>>Irrelevant.
>>
>> Very relevant. I honestly don't know how, other than deliberately, the
>> phrase could be read your way.
>
>English.
>
>If I have a gun that can kill any mammals, and they outlaw guns that
>can kill humans, my gun becomes illegal.

Bad analogy. Cycling is a mammal, but not a human. Cycling is immune to guns
that can kill ONLY humans. Stifle is a gun that can kill ALL mammals. The
fact that it can kill humans is irrelevant to whether it can kill other
mammals.

----

Andy Jakcsy wrote:

> Sorcier sez:
>
>>If I have a gun that can kill any mammals, and they outlaw guns that
>>can kill humans, my gun becomes illegal.
>
> Bad analogy. Cycling is a mammal, but not a human. Cycling is immune to guns
> that can kill ONLY humans.

You are correct about the actual rules.
But not about the ruling.
It left out _only_.

> Stifle is a gun that can kill ALL mammals. The
> fact that it can kill humans is irrelevant to whether it can kill other
> mammals.

True, but the ruling specifically stated the equivalent of "This
animal can't be killed by guns that can kill humans." It never
claimed cycling was a "mammal". That Stifle can kill all "mammals"
tells us nothing about its affect on other "animals".