keyboard not working

Please can some one help me. My friends keyboard is not working. When she
turns the computer on no lights come up on the keyboard. Have tried another
keyboard and still the same. Unable to get into the computer to check bios
etc as there is a password on the account. has anybody got any ideas?
6 answers Last reply
More about keyboard working

    "tigerclaws" <bm003d6236@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Please can some one help me. My friends keyboard is not working.
    > When she
    > turns the computer on no lights come up on the keyboard. Have tried
    > another
    > keyboard and still the same. Unable to get into the computer to
    > check bios
    > etc as there is a password on the account. has anybody got any
    > ideas?

    Does it give you an error during POST?

    What hind of keyboard is it? Does it the keyboard use PS2 port? A
    round shaped connecter type plug that is purple or gray and plugs in
    near the mouse cord?
    Or is it USB?

    Can you boot into Windows? You might try going into device manager and
    looking at the keyboard entry there.

    If the PS2 port died on the Mother Board you might be able to go to a
    USB keyboard.

    BTW, for trivia sake (I know this won't help with your problem),
    but...If you go to start/run and type OSK and hit enter, it brings up
    an on-screen keyboard that can be used with a mouse...

    of course you would you would have to make a shortcut to it on the
    desktop to make it easily accessible. You can find OSK.exe in the
    windows/system32 folder using windows explorer and dbl-click on it to
    use it. :)

    hello. i have checked the device and it says that it is working properly. i
    thought that it may be the driver but i do not know how to locate it on a
    website and i do not have the software to install it.

    "Slippery_one" wrote:

    > "tigerclaws" <bm003d6236@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Please can some one help me. My friends keyboard is not working.
    > > When she
    > > turns the computer on no lights come up on the keyboard. Have tried
    > > another
    > > keyboard and still the same. Unable to get into the computer to
    > > check bios
    > > etc as there is a password on the account. has anybody got any
    > > ideas?
    >
    > Does it give you an error during POST?
    >
    > What hind of keyboard is it? Does it the keyboard use PS2 port? A
    > round shaped connecter type plug that is purple or gray and plugs in
    > near the mouse cord?
    > Or is it USB?
    >
    > Can you boot into Windows? You might try going into device manager and
    > looking at the keyboard entry there.
    >
    > If the PS2 port died on the Mother Board you might be able to go to a
    > USB keyboard.
    >
    > BTW, for trivia sake (I know this won't help with your problem),
    > but...If you go to start/run and type OSK and hit enter, it brings up
    > an on-screen keyboard that can be used with a mouse...
    >
    > of course you would you would have to make a shortcut to it on the
    > desktop to make it easily accessible. You can find OSK.exe in the
    > windows/system32 folder using windows explorer and dbl-click on it to
    > use it. :)

    sorry just to continue it uses a usb port. i have tried it in 3 but neither
    work. no errors come up

    > sorry just to continue it uses a usb port. i have tried it in 3 but
    > neither
    > work. no errors come up

    Check the BIOS and make sure that the USB ports are "Enabled". I have
    had BIOS settings change on me just by moving a computer from one
    place to another.

    Check the USB port in the device manager. Does your friend have any
    other USB devices that work or don't work? If other devices work, try
    a different keyboard ( you could try yours for example). Sometimes you
    can remove everything USB from windows device manager and let Windows
    find it and install it again. Take note that if the drivers are
    missing or corrupt, you might need the Motherboard driver disk to
    re-install the USB drivers.

    On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:27:02 -0800, "tigerclaws"
    <bm003d6236@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Please can some one help me. My friends keyboard is not working. When she
    >turns the computer on no lights come up on the keyboard. Have tried another
    >keyboard and still the same. Unable to get into the computer to check bios
    >etc as there is a password on the account. has anybody got any ideas?

    I'd try another keyboard too.
  6. This solution worked for the guy who suggested it and it worked for me. Having the exact same problem described here with error code 41 and working keyboard (usb and ps2) up until windows loads drivers. I didn't even delete the Upper Filters entry, just the mention of lxsassc.exe.

    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/447524-keyboard-error-code-41-a-2.html

    Very last posting listed as 'solved'.

    (Quoted Text)
    "I solved my problem by removing an item from the UpperFilters for the keyboard in the registry. It's under:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318
    There was an entry for keykey which was leftover from spyware removal action."

Computers Keyboards Windows XP