Blue error screen then reboot

March 3, 2005 1:59:08 PM

Hi, ocassionally I am just minding my own business on my laptop when all of a
sudden the screen goes blue, and an error message appears (DOS style) and the
system reboots 1 or 2 seconds later. This obviously does not give me time to
read the error of course so I don't know what is wrong or how to go about
fixing it. It's happened 3 times in total. Twice in one day about a week and
a half ago, and once today. Each time I was doing a different activity on the
computer so I don't believe they relate to something I'm doing at the time.

Can anybody help?
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 4:43:38 PM

Can anybody help ? Probably not. But try this:

Look in Event Viewer for a clue. Go to Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, Event Viewer and look in the System
area for something that occurred at about the time that
the system re-booted.

Good Luck !

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 7:33:34 PM

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System.
On the Advanced page of System Properties click on the Settings
button in the Startup and Recovery section.
Uncheck Automatically restart in the System failure section.

Now, when the blue screen pops up you should be able to record
the information that's displayed. Be certain to write down the
entire stop error message. Be on the lookout for anything that
looks like a file name, something like drivername.sys.

Once you have that info, you can start your troubleshooting here:

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

If you're unable to find a solution, post back in a new thread
with the stop error message as well as what steps you've taken in
trying to resolve this issue.

Good luck

--
Nepatsfan
"vyp0r" <vyp0r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, ocassionally I am just minding my own business on my laptop
> when all of a
> sudden the screen goes blue, and an error message appears (DOS
> style) and the
> system reboots 1 or 2 seconds later. This obviously does not
> give me time to
> read the error of course so I don't know what is wrong or how
> to go about
> fixing it. It's happened 3 times in total. Twice in one day
> about a week and
> a half ago, and once today. Each time I was doing a different
> activity on the
> computer so I don't believe they relate to something I'm doing
> at the time.
>
> Can anybody help?
March 3, 2005 9:19:03 PM

Thank you both ever so much. I've done what you said Nepatsfan, and taken
note of what you both said.

Thanks again for everything!! :)
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 4:54:46 PM

"Nepatsfan" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System.
>On the Advanced page of System Properties click on the Settings
>button in the Startup and Recovery section.
>Uncheck Automatically restart in the System failure section.

Great tip; thanks!

Why on earth is this checked by default, I wonder? I can see that
on unattended machiones it makes sense, but I feel pretty sure that
the majority of XP systems are attended.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 3:28:07 AM

this can also be due to any hardware problem. normally this kinda blue
screen appears in desktop PCs, when there is some connection failures
in any of the hardwares like harddisk or RAM.
The time it shows the blue screen is for the cache memory of the
processor to be cleared.
I guess it would be advisable if u could contact the vendor and get the
laptop checked by him.

Let us also know what the problem is..

thanks
Nicki