REQ: Reliable Drive Backup

Used to use Drive image Pro on 98 & ME .

On two Dells with XP Home 4600 & 8300 it didn't work.

Message was " corrupted hal.dll" couldn't repair with the CD had
to reformat & reinstall on both computers. Both computer had been
partitioned with PMagic 8

Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about reliable drive backup

    Ghost 9 is excellent. It's a very slightly enhanced version of PowerQuest
    V2i Protector Desktop.

    Brian

    "js" <js@fl.net> wrote in message
    > Used to use Drive image Pro on 98 & ME .
    >
    > On two Dells with XP Home 4600 & 8300 it didn't work.
    >
    > Message was " corrupted hal.dll" couldn't repair with the CD had
    > to reformat & reinstall on both computers. Both computer had been
    > partitioned with PMagic 8
    >
    > Thanks

    I had Drive image Pro once and it worked just fine with my XP Pro.. Although
    to be honest I found the best back up is installing a separate HD and just
    backing everything up in that... never have to worry about programs screwing
    up and losing everything or worse scenario which has happened to me with our
    old Gateway PCs was a total HD failure.. lost all, chances of 2 HD crashing
    at the same time is astronomical,, just my 2 cents..

    "js" <js@fl.net> wrote in message
    > Used to use Drive image Pro on 98 & ME .
    >
    > On two Dells with XP Home 4600 & 8300 it didn't work.
    >
    > Message was " corrupted hal.dll" couldn't repair with the CD had
    > to reformat & reinstall on both computers. Both computer had been
    > partitioned with PMagic 8
    >
    > Thanks

    Pinger,
    Good advice on the second HD. I went that route but found that when I
    tried to use explorer I'd get a fault message saying it couldn't copy
    because it was being used. Ended up getting Drive Image and used it to copy
    all the files to the external HD. Did you have a similar problem and if so
    how did you circumvent it?
    Paul

    js wrote:
    > Used to use Drive image Pro on 98 & ME .
    >
    > On two Dells with XP Home 4600 & 8300 it didn't work.
    >
    > Message was " corrupted hal.dll" couldn't repair with the CD had
    > to reformat & reinstall on both computers. Both computer had been
    > partitioned with PMagic 8
    >
    > Thanks

    The first question is:- "What are your back-up requirements??"

    Are you looking for a complete System style of backup or are you wanting
    something that will simply back up your data??

    If the latter, then I would suggest trying something like "Second Copy
    2000".

    HTH

    Regards,
    John

    Paul I never received that fault message, I can just copy and paste anything
    I want onto the second HD. I periodically copy my whole My Document file
    including pictures, video, word documents and music onto the second HD. I
    also save my registry, address books, XP settings such as themes, IE6
    Favorites and Outlook express info onto the second HD. Not sure why why your
    getting that message but I'm sure there is a cure for it out there (might be
    something as easy as having to format the second HD. Using the second HD
    is as easy as it gets when it comes to backing up your computer.

    "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message
    > Pinger,
    > Good advice on the second HD. I went that route but found that when I
    > tried to use explorer I'd get a fault message saying it couldn't copy
    > because it was being used. Ended up getting Drive Image and used it to
    > copy all the files to the external HD. Did you have a similar problem and
    > if so how did you circumvent it?
    > Paul
    >
    > "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I had Drive image Pro once and it worked just fine with my XP Pro..
    >>Although to be honest I found the best back up is installing a separate HD
    >>and just backing everything up in that... never have to worry about
    >>programs screwing up and losing everything or worse scenario which has
    >>happened to me with our old Gateway PCs was a total HD failure.. lost all,
    >>chances of 2 HD crashing at the same time is astronomical,, just my 2
    >>cents..
    >>

    >> "js" <js@fl.net> wrote in message
    >>> Used to use Drive image Pro on 98 & ME .
    >>>
    >>> On two Dells with XP Home 4600 & 8300 it didn't work.
    >>>
    >>> Message was " corrupted hal.dll" couldn't repair with the CD had
    >>> to reformat & reinstall on both computers. Both computer had been
    >>> partitioned with PMagic 8
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    Pinger,
    Oh the second HD works just fine for what you just described. What I
    tried to do was copy my entire c drive to it, guess when it got to the
    system files that were in use it balked. Drive Image didn't have a problem
    doing this though.

    > Paul I never received that fault message, I can just copy and paste
    > anything I want onto the second HD. I periodically copy my whole My
    > Document file including pictures, video, word documents and music onto the
    > second HD. I also save my registry, address books, XP settings such as
    > themes, IE6 Favorites and Outlook express info onto the second HD. Not
    > sure why why your getting that message but I'm sure there is a cure for it
    > out there (might be something as easy as having to format the second HD.
    > Using the second HD is as easy as it gets when it comes to backing up your
    > computer.
    >
    > "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message
    >> Pinger,
    >> Good advice on the second HD. I went that route but found that when I
    >> tried to use explorer I'd get a fault message saying it couldn't copy
    >> because it was being used. Ended up getting Drive Image and used it to
    >> copy all the files to the external HD. Did you have a similar problem and
    >> if so how did you circumvent it?
    >> Paul
    >>
    >> "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>I had Drive image Pro once and it worked just fine with my XP Pro..
    >>>Although to be honest I found the best back up is installing a separate
    >>>HD and just backing everything up in that... never have to worry about
    >>>programs screwing up and losing everything or worse scenario which has
    >>>happened to me with our old Gateway PCs was a total HD failure.. lost
    >>>all, chances of 2 HD crashing at the same time is astronomical,, just my
    >>>2 cents..
    >>>

    >>> "js" <js@fl.net> wrote in message

    Paul,
    Never tried copying my whole HD onto the back up HD. But your right when it
    tried to move files in use especially system files it would run into
    problems.. I would still back up your Documents and such onto the second
    drive separate from the Drive Image programs back up.. Guess I'm a bit of a
    pessimist but I don't trust any program not to become corrupt or
    malfunction. Just my 2 cents :)

    > Pinger,
    > Oh the second HD works just fine for what you just described. What I
    > tried to do was copy my entire c drive to it, guess when it got to the
    > system files that were in use it balked. Drive Image didn't have a problem
    > doing this though.
    > Paul
    >
    > "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Paul I never received that fault message, I can just copy and paste
    >> anything I want onto the second HD. I periodically copy my whole My
    >> Document file including pictures, video, word documents and music onto
    >> the second HD. I also save my registry, address books, XP settings such
    >> as themes, IE6 Favorites and Outlook express info onto the second HD. Not
    >> sure why why your getting that message but I'm sure there is a cure for
    >> it out there (might be something as easy as having to format the second
    >> HD. Using the second HD is as easy as it gets when it comes to backing up
    >> your computer.
    >>
    >> "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message
    >>> Pinger,
    >>> Good advice on the second HD. I went that route but found that when I
    >>> tried to use explorer I'd get a fault message saying it couldn't copy
    >>> because it was being used. Ended up getting Drive Image and used it to
    >>> copy all the files to the external HD. Did you have a similar problem
    >>> and if so how did you circumvent it?
    >>> Paul
    >>>
    >>> "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    I'm using a small program (CompuApps Drive Wizard) on two of our systems to
    do just that; make complete/bootable images onto a second hard disk.

    http://www.compuapps.com/download/Drivewizardpro/license.htm

    It's worked on both (running WinXP Pro) with minor issues. My brother used
    the trial version and it didn't work for him, and he wound up using Casper,
    a simple program for the same function. He seems pleased with it:

    Both programs are simplified without many corporate-type settings or
    options.

    Stew

    > Paul,
    > Never tried copying my whole HD onto the back up HD. But your right when
    > it tried to move files in use especially system files it would run into
    > problems.. I would still back up your Documents and such onto the second
    > drive separate from the Drive Image programs back up.. Guess I'm a bit of
    > a pessimist but I don't trust any program not to become corrupt or
    > malfunction. Just my 2 cents :)
    >
    > "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message
    >> Pinger,
    >> Oh the second HD works just fine for what you just described. What I
    >> tried to do was copy my entire c drive to it, guess when it got to the
    >> system files that were in use it balked. Drive Image didn't have a
    >> problem doing this though.
    >> Paul
    >>
    >> "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Paul I never received that fault message, I can just copy and paste
    >>> anything I want onto the second HD. I periodically copy my whole My
    >>> Document file including pictures, video, word documents and music onto
    >>> the second HD. I also save my registry, address books, XP settings such
    >>> as themes, IE6 Favorites and Outlook express info onto the second HD.
    >>> Not sure why why your getting that message but I'm sure there is a cure
    >>> for it out there (might be something as easy as having to format the
    >>> second HD. Using the second HD is as easy as it gets when it comes to
    >>> backing up your computer.
    >>>
    >>> "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message

    Stew,
    Thanks I'll check those out. The old Dell laptop had Drive Image on it,
    as of yet I haven't bought a copy for this new 8400.
    Paul

    > I'm using a small program (CompuApps Drive Wizard) on two of our systems
    > to do just that; make complete/bootable images onto a second hard disk.
    >
    > http://www.compuapps.com/download/Drivewizardpro/license.htm
    >
    > It's worked on both (running WinXP Pro) with minor issues. My brother used
    > the trial version and it didn't work for him, and he wound up using
    > Casper, a simple program for the same function. He seems pleased with it:

    > Both programs are simplified without many corporate-type settings or
    > options.
    >

    > Stew
    >

    > "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Paul,
    >> Never tried copying my whole HD onto the back up HD. But your right when
    >> it tried to move files in use especially system files it would run into
    >> problems.. I would still back up your Documents and such onto the second
    >> drive separate from the Drive Image programs back up.. Guess I'm a bit
    >> of a pessimist but I don't trust any program not to become corrupt or
    >> malfunction. Just my 2 cents :)
    >>
    >> "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message
    >>> Pinger,
    >>> Oh the second HD works just fine for what you just described. What I
    >>> tried to do was copy my entire c drive to it, guess when it got to the
    >>> system files that were in use it balked. Drive Image didn't have a
    >>> problem doing this though.
    >>> Paul
    >>>
    >>> "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Dell Backup Computers