Alternative to Palm software for Mac users

July 7, 2005 4:26:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

I am a long-time Palm Pilot user, but I am sick and tired of the lousy
synch utility that comes with the Palm software. I frequently get
duplicate entries after I sync for no reason at all. If I change the
date of a scheduled event, in many cases, the original event will be
retained and the new event will be copied after syncing. Many tasks get
replicated over and over again.

This is on a Mac Dual Processor G5 running Mac OS X 10.4.1. I am tired
of dealing with duplicate records. Today, for reasons I cannot fathom,
about half my contact list was copied three times to my Palm Pilot after
I synced and several memos were also duplicated three times.

I tried using Apple's iCal and Address book with iSynch but Apple's
software doesn't suit my needs. iCal and Address book do not maintain
categories with my Palm Pilot and there's no memo or to do list
features. I also don't like the way Apple's software handles data input.

Does anyone out there who uses the current Mac OS have any suggestions
for a good personal information management package that supports
categories, offers good calendar, memo, to do list, and contact manager
modules, and works with a Palm Pilot Zire 72 via USB and preferably
Bluetooth?
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 11:39:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

In article <stan-4E29AD.00260607072005@news.giganews.com>,
Stan Horwitz <stan@temple.edu> wrote:

> I am a long-time Palm Pilot user, but I am sick and tired of the lousy
> synch utility that comes with the Palm software. I frequently get

<snip>

s. I also don't like the way Apple's software handles data input.

> Does anyone out there who uses the current Mac OS have any suggestions
> for a good personal information management package that supports
> categories, offers good calendar, memo, to do list, and contact manager
> modules, and works with a Palm Pilot Zire 72 via USB and preferably
> Bluetooth?

I use Missing Sync for Palm OS 4.0.5 for my basic synchronisation and
uploading, and UnDupe 2.1.6 to eliminate duplicates (which are
inevitable given the way in which synchronisation happens, but can be
99% eliminated with UnDupe).

If you want to look them up, go to:
http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_palmos.php
and
http://www.stevenscreek.com/palm/undupe.html
respectively.

You can't use the Mac's own sync programme with Missing Sync, which
means I can't synchronise my mobile phone with my diary and calendar,,
but that's no great loss since I don't use those functions on the phone
anyway.

Kind regards,
Devi
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 1:32:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

In article <animas-4E18BC.08395207072005@news.ntli.net>,
Devi Jankowicz <animas@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> In article <stan-4E29AD.00260607072005@news.giganews.com>,
> Stan Horwitz <stan@temple.edu> wrote:
>
> > I am a long-time Palm Pilot user, but I am sick and tired of the lousy
> > synch utility that comes with the Palm software. I frequently get
>
> <snip>
>
> s. I also don't like the way Apple's software handles data input.
> >
> > Does anyone out there who uses the current Mac OS have any suggestions
> > for a good personal information management package that supports
> > categories, offers good calendar, memo, to do list, and contact manager
> > modules, and works with a Palm Pilot Zire 72 via USB and preferably
> > Bluetooth?
>
> I use Missing Sync for Palm OS 4.0.5 for my basic synchronisation and
> uploading, and UnDupe 2.1.6 to eliminate duplicates (which are
> inevitable given the way in which synchronisation happens, but can be
> 99% eliminated with UnDupe).
>
> If you want to look them up, go to:
> http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_palmos.php
> and
> http://www.stevenscreek.com/palm/undupe.html
> respectively.
>
> You can't use the Mac's own sync programme with Missing Sync, which
> means I can't synchronise my mobile phone with my diary and calendar,,
> but that's no great loss since I don't use those functions on the phone
> anyway.

Thanks Devi! I will try out those programs right away.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 3:29:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

In article <animas-4E18BC.08395207072005@news.ntli.net>,
Devi Jankowicz <animas@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> You can't use the Mac's own sync programme with Missing Sync, which
> means I can't synchronise my mobile phone with my diary and calendar,,
> but that's no great loss since I don't use those functions on the phone
> anyway.
>
> Kind regards,
> Devi

I don't understand this part. I use Missing Synch with my Kyocera 7135
and easily synch with Mail and Address Book.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

In article <hlachman-DAB408.11294107072005@news.isp.giganews.com>,
Harlan Lachman <hlachman@nospamadelphia.net> wrote:

> In article <animas-4E18BC.08395207072005@news.ntli.net>,
> Devi Jankowicz <animas@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > You can't use the Mac's own sync programme with Missing Sync, which
> > means I can't synchronise my mobile phone with my diary and calendar,,
> > but that's no great loss since I don't use those functions on the phone
> > anyway.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Devi
>
> I don't understand this part. I use Missing Synch with my Kyocera 7135
> and easily synch with Mail and Address Book.
>
> harlan

Sorry if I've caused confusion.

What I meant was that I couldn't get Missing Sync to work properly while
iSync was live. So I removed the latter, and assumed that I couldn't
subsequently sync Mail and address book onto my mobile phone.

If you know how to get Missing Sync to 'see' a Bluetooth phone, I'd be
v. grateful for the details.

Kind regards,
Devi
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 2:03:40 AM

On 2005-07-07 15:03:39 -0700, Devi Jankowicz <animas@ntlworld.com> said:

> In article <hlachman-DAB408.11294107072005@news.isp.giganews.com>,
> Harlan Lachman <hlachman@nospamadelphia.net> wrote:
>
>> In article <animas-4E18BC.08395207072005@news.ntli.net>,
>> Devi Jankowicz <animas@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You can't use the Mac's own sync programme with Missing Sync, which
>>> means I can't synchronise my mobile phone with my diary and calendar,,
>>> but that's no great loss since I don't use those functions on the phone
>>> anyway.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Devi
>>
>> I don't understand this part. I use Missing Synch with my Kyocera 7135
>> and easily synch with Mail and Address Book.
>> harlan
>>
> Sorry if I've caused confusion.
>
> What I meant was that I couldn't get Missing Sync to work properly
> while iSync was live. So I removed the latter, and assumed that I
> couldn't subsequently sync Mail and address book onto my mobile phone.
>
> If you know how to get Missing Sync to 'see' a Bluetooth phone, I'd be
> v. grateful for the details.
>
> Kind regards,
> Devi

Is this bluetooth phone a Palm or Pocket PC device? Because Missing
Sync is not necessary for ordinary communications with bluetooth phones
(like my Sony T616, for example).
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 5:55:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

In article <stan-4E29AD.00260607072005@news.giganews.com>,
Stan Horwitz <stan@temple.edu> wrote:

> I am a long-time Palm Pilot user, but I am sick and tired of the lousy
> synch utility that comes with the Palm software. I frequently get
> duplicate entries after I sync for no reason at all. If I change the
> date of a scheduled event, in many cases, the original event will be
> retained and the new event will be copied after syncing. Many tasks get
> replicated over and over again.

I've found that when deleting an event on my Palm, if I specify "Save
Archive Copy on PC" that I do not get the duplicates.

Not sure if this is useful on not.

Bob harris

!