Upgrading...installing Windows XP Question

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Okay, I've been running Windows XP Home on my PC since the first day XP hit the market. Now, I am on the verge of building another PC. I have two questions, but let me tell you what I have...

I have Windows XP Home Upgrade. I can't find my original Windows 95 CD-Rom...only my Windows 98 Upgrade CD. So, will XP accept that as a previous Windows version from which to upgrade?

Secondly, will I have any problem getting through Windows product activation, seeing as I have already installed XP on one computer?

Should I just bite the big Microsoft bullet and buy Windows yet again? Somehow, that doesn't seem right, since I'm going to be selling my current PC piece by piece. How many times will XP allow you to activate?

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I'm 99% sure the 98 upgrade CD will satisfy the XP upgrade requirements. AFA the 2nd question, you just have to re-activate.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Brad_Barker

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
Once you install XP on the new system you just have to reactivate it. That's what I did when I built my new system. You may have to call into the number and speak to someone, instead of doing it over the net. I had to call in, but it does not take long to get ahold of someone.

<font color=orange>OW</font color=orange> <font color=orange>OR</font color=orange> <font color=green>GW</font color=green> <font color=blue>BL</font color=blue> <font color=blue>BW</font color=blue> <font color=green>GR</font color=green> [brown]BW[/brown] wait... There is no brown markup!! :frown: