Soul Feast / Deflection

What happens, if my opponent plays 'Soul Feast' and
I respond with 'Deflection'?

I would say, *nothing happens* (i.e. my opponent looses
4 life and gains 4 life). And even if my opponent's life
total is 4 or less, nothing should happen (s. Rule 102.1).
Correct?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Deflection / Instant / {3}{U}
"Change the target of target spell with a single target."

Soul Feast / Instant / {3}{B}{B}
"Target player loses 4 life and you gain 4 life."

Nuff Said <nuffsaid@phreaker.net> sent:
> What happens, if my opponent plays 'Soul Feast' and
> I respond with 'Deflection'?

Soul Feast {3}{B}{B} Sorcery
Target player loses 4 life and you gain 4 life.

Deflection {3}{U} Instant
Change the target of target spell with a single target.

Assuming you choose the opponent as the new target of Soul Feast,
then when Soul Feast resolves, that opponent loses four life and
then gains four life. You don't check to see if they've got less
than 1 life until after all this happens.

> I would say, *nothing happens* (i.e. my opponent looses
> 4 life and gains 4 life). And even if my opponent's life
> total is 4 or less, nothing should happen (s. Rule 102.1).
> Correct?

Well, if something triggers from gaining or losing life, then
it will trigger in this case - the net effect on the life total
is zero, but it does still change. Similarly, if there are
replacement effects (e.g. Sulfuric Vortex) around, they also
apply. Correct about 102.1, although the wording is perhaps a
little ambiguous there - 420.4 and 420.5a also spell it out.

--
-- zoe

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:48:33 +0200, Nuff Said <nuffsaid@phreaker.net> wrote:
>What happens, if my opponent plays 'Soul Feast' and
>I respond with 'Deflection'?

You have to pick a new target player. Usually that will be your opponent.

>I would say, *nothing happens* (i.e. my opponent looses
>4 life and gains 4 life). And even if my opponent's life
>total is 4 or less, nothing should happen (s. Rule 102.1). Correct?

Correct. Life totals are not checked, with respect to losing the game,
during a resolution; they are only checked with other state-based effects,
which in this case wouldn't be until after the Soul Feast was done resolving
completely.

>Deflection / Instant / {3}{U}
>"Change the target of target spell with a single target."
>
>Soul Feast / Instant / {3}{B}{B}
>"Target player loses 4 life and you gain 4 life."

Dave