Disk read error

March 3, 2005 6:09:09 PM

When I start my laptop I only get a black screen with a message to say 'A
disk read error occured, press ctrl+alt+del to restart'. This is the only
screen I get.

If I go into changing boot order it comes up with 'operating system not
found'. I am unable to do anything else, and do not know what has caused the
problem.

I am using Windows XP Home Edition.

Does anyone know how I can fix this or what has caused it? I have virus
software and ran a check just before I switched it off and nothing was found.
The laptop has not worked since!

More about : disk read error

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 11:00:27 PM

From the sounds of it your OS is messed up. Try booting up to your windows
xp cd and run a repair on the OS and see what happens. If you can't repair
it you might have to reinstall the OS. If you do just install the OS don't
format it because you will then lose all your data.

Good luck

"kuncat" <kuncat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I start my laptop I only get a black screen with a message to say 'A
> disk read error occured, press ctrl+alt+del to restart'. This is the only
> screen I get.
>
> If I go into changing boot order it comes up with 'operating system not
> found'. I am unable to do anything else, and do not know what has caused
> the
> problem.
>
> I am using Windows XP Home Edition.
>
> Does anyone know how I can fix this or what has caused it? I have virus
> software and ran a check just before I switched it off and nothing was
> found.
> The laptop has not worked since!

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 5:22:08 AM

seems like the hard drive has a problem, if the lap is on warranty take it
back....

!