Death match and Patriarch's bidding

I have a Death Match out and I cast Patriarch's bidding. We both put our
creatures into play. Now, do I choose where to stack his Death Match
activations (since I control Death Match) or does he put his Death match
activations on top of mine (since he is the inactive player and chooses
where Death Match targets)?

Death Match 3B
Enchantment
Whenever a creature comes into play, that creature''s controller may have
target creature of his or her choice get -3/-3 until end of turn.

Patriarch's Bidding 3BB
Sorcery
Each player chooses a creature type. Each player returns all creature cards
of a type chosen this way from his or her graveyard to play.

Darc <decnst@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Death Match out and I cast Patriarch's bidding. We both put our
> creatures into play. Now, do I choose where to stack his Death Match
> activations

I see no activated ability on Death Match.

403. Activated Abilities

403.1. An activated ability is written as "[cost]: [effect]." The
activation cost is everything before the colon :)). An ability's
activation cost must be paid by the player who is playing it.

> (since I control Death Match) or does he put his Death match
> activations on top of mine (since he is the inactive player and chooses
> where Death Match targets)?

You control the Death Match. You control its triggered abilities. You
choose the order in which they go on the stack.

410.2. Whenever a game event or game state matches a triggered ability's
trigger event, that ability triggers. When a phase or step begins, all
abilities that trigger "at the beginning of" that phase or step trigger.
The ability doesn't do anything when it triggers but automatically puts
the ability on the stack as soon as a player would receive priority. The
ability is controlled by the player who controlled its source at the
time it triggered. It has the text of the ability that created it, and
no other characteristics.

410.3. If multiple abilities have triggered since the last time a player
received priority, the abilities controlled by the active player go on
the stack first, in any order he or she chooses, then those controlled
by the opponent go on the stack in any order that opponent chooses. Then
players once again check for and resolve state-based effects until none
are generated, then abilities that triggered during this process go on
the stack. This process repeats until no new state-based effects are
generated and no abilities trigger. Then the appropriate player gets
priority.

--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:57:09 GMT, Darc <decnst@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I have a Death Match out and I cast Patriarch's bidding. We both put our
>creatures into play. Now, do I choose where to stack his Death Match
>activations (since I control Death Match) or does he put his Death match
>activations on top of mine (since he is the inactive player and chooses
>where Death Match targets)?

All the Death Match triggered abilities trigger at once, one for each
creature. (Since all the creatures brought into play by the Bidding are
appearing at the same time.) They then go on the stack after the Bidding is
done resolving and has gone to the graveyard. The controller of Death Match
controls all of those triggered abilities (though another player may be
picking a target for some of them), so that person decides how to stack them
on the stack. Note that you do NOT pick a target for a given triggered ability
until it is already on the stack, as per 409.1* .

In this case, since it's your Death Match, you decide the order entirely,
though you don't get to find out what he's targetting with each of his
until that one is going on the stack - in other words, you don't know what
ANY of the targets are at the time you decide the order of the abilities
on the stack. [Let me check that, in fact... ...Interesting. I actually
don't remember the question coming up, but I'm virtually certain this is
how to handle it, but I'll pass the question up to make sure.]

Dave

David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
>though you don't get to find out what he's targetting with each of his
>until that one is going on the stack - in other words, you don't know what
>ANY of the targets are at the time you decide the order of the abilities
>on the stack. [Let me check that, in fact... ...Interesting. I actually
>don't remember the question coming up, but I'm virtually certain this is
>how to handle it, but I'll pass the question up to make sure.]

Followup: Paul has said that it actually works like "active player picks a
triggered ability of theirs to put on the stack; process its announcement;
repeat until none. Opponent picks a triggered ability of theirs to put on
the stack; process its announcement; repeat until none." - in other words,
that you -don't- choose the order entirely before starting to put them on,
but rather put them on one at a time, ordering as you go... In this case it
might make a difference given what opponent picks as the target for one of
your abilities, which one you want to put on next, if it's done that way.

Dave