Brilliant Halo and Planar Void

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Hi all,

This came up in a game over the weekend. Player A has Planar Void out
and player B has a creature enchancted with Brilliant Halo. Player A
destroys the creature.

Does the Halo go back to player Bs hand or does it get removed before
it ever gets the chance to go back to his hand?

I said the Halo's ability goes on the stack, followed by the Void, so
that it get's removed, but wasn't sure. Does the order the triggered
abilities going on the stack depend on who the active player is?

- Dave

Planar Void
{B}
Enchantment
Whenever a card is put into a graveyard, remove that card from the game.

Brilliant Halo
{1}{W}
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+2.
When Brilliant Halo is put into a graveyard from play, return Brilliant
Halo to its owner's hand.

Dave <im@not.telling> sent:
> Hi all,

> This came up in a game over the weekend. Player A has Planar Void out
> and player B has a creature enchancted with Brilliant Halo. Player A
> destroys the creature.

Planar Void {B} Enchantment
Whenever a card is put into a graveyard, remove that card from the game.

Brilliant Halo {1}{W} Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+2.
When Brilliant Halo is put into a graveyard from play, return Brilliant
Halo to its owner's hand.

I assume here that player B's creature is enchanted by player B's
Brilliant Halo.

> Does the Halo go back to player Bs hand or does it get removed before
> it ever gets the chance to go back to his hand?

It depends. If it's player A's turn, then the Planar Void triggered
ability goes on the stack first, and the Brilliant Halo goes on top;
that resolves first, putting the Brilliant Halo into player B's hand,
and then Planar Void's ability finds that the card it's looking for
in the graveyard is missing, so does nothing.

If it's player B's turn, the abilities go on the stack the other way
up. Planar Void removes the card from the game, and then Brilliant
Halo's ability can't find it in the graveyard when it resolves.

> I said the Halo's ability goes on the stack, followed by the Void, so
> that it get's removed, but wasn't sure. Does the order the triggered
> abilities going on the stack depend on who the active player is?

If the permanents (and hence the triggered abilities) are controlled
by different players, then it depends on who is active player. If it's
all controlled by the same player (e.g. player A played the Brilliant
Halo on your creature) then that player gets to choose how to add the
triggered abilities to the stack.

--
-- zoe

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:42:15 -0500, Dave <im@not.telling> wrote:
>This came up in a game over the weekend. Player A has Planar Void out
>and player B has a creature enchancted with Brilliant Halo. Player A
>destroys the creature.
>
>Does the Halo go back to player Bs hand or does it get removed before
>it ever gets the chance to go back to his hand?

Depends. Whose turn was it?

>I said the Halo's ability goes on the stack, followed by the Void, so
>that it get's removed, but wasn't sure. Does the order the triggered
>abilities going on the stack depend on who the active player is?

It does indeed depend on who the active player is. If more than one triggered
ability is trying to go onto the stack at once, then first all of active
player's are put on, in an order that player chooses, then after that all of
opponent's are put on - on top of all of active player's - in an order that
opponent chooses. (This is called APNAP ordering, "active player - non active
player.).

This means that opponent's triggered abilities will always resolve before
active player's do, as well.

In particular, in the above example I assume it was B's Halo, though you
don't -quite- specify that; in that case if it was A's turn then B gets
the Halo back because B's Halo's ability goes on the stack on top of A's
Planar Void's. If it was B's turn, B would _not_ get the Halo back, because
the Halo ability wouldn't resolve until after the Void ability had removed the
Halo from the game.

Dave

TRENDING THREADS