Certain video files won't play in Media Player

KCjoker

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002
I'm trying to stream some video files off a website and after it does a temporary download and media player opens it won't play the file. It gives this error

windows media player cannot find the specified file. Be sure the path is typed correctly. If it is, the file does not exist at the specified location, or the computer where the file is stored is offline.

The site is http://w*w.video-clips.co.uk/

I know others are able to see this videos. What's weird is I know I can stream other videos off web pages it must be that the file type(.mpa) just won't work. Any ideas? Oh I use Media Player 9.0. I went into tools options,network and enabled all the settings but it still gives the same error.

Well join the club, I've got the same problem, maybe someone will come along that can help both of us.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

I had the same problem w/ Windows media player... I just downloaded another player and it works fine with that one. Media player is known to have problems like that...sorry

==They say an ant can carry weights up to ten times its own weight... Thats very good to know if I ever need to move a potato chip across town.===

Probably a codec issue... I'll have to try it at home to be sure.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Got to play a lot of them... some of them don't seem to work. Try grabbing Quicktime as most of the clips are in that format.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
had same problem until i found some codecs here:http://www.moviecodec.com/download/codecs.shtml

get the xvid codec, as most new fliks are using this now !!!!

<font color=purple> We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by toester on 05/02/03 10:36 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
You can also find codecs at www.divx.com

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
ok guys

Fddshow is the best decoder for "Xvid and DivX"

then you will need an Mpeg decoder for DVD's etc...

that should sort you out for nearly every movie you need to see (perhaps you will still need the indeo 5 codec)

it is recomemded NOT to instal "codec packs" they can cause conflicts and make movies UNWATCHABLE even if you have the correct codecs.
it is recomended that you keep to minimum number of codecs, hence fddshow is the best as it handles multiple formats.

fddshow is also better at decoding DivX than DivX is!!!! it uses about 20% less CPU power to decode the same thing.

so i suggest that one for divx and Xvid

Alltaken