Change startup items in XP Pro

I seem to have an awful lot of things running in the background that I didn't
start so I assume they are loaded automatically on startup. I think it's
slowing my machine down terribly and wonder if there os a way to stop them
from loading when I start up my user account.
Many thanks
--
Ricky
2 answers Last reply

    go to

    START>RUN> and type MSCONFIG and then press the ENTER key

    go to the STARTUP tab and deselect the ones you dont want to start...
    (dont worry this is reversable)

    after the reboot you will see a message box telling you that you have
    changed something, select the dont show this message again check box.

    Kenny

    "Ricky" <Ricky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I seem to have an awful lot of things running in the background that I
    >didn't
    > start so I assume they are loaded automatically on startup. I think it's
    > slowing my machine down terribly and wonder if there os a way to stop them
    > from loading when I start up my user account.
    > Many thanks
    > --
    > Ricky

    Kenny,
    It worked! Thank you soooo much!
    Best wishes, Ricky

    "Kenny S" wrote:

    > go to
    >
    > START>RUN> and type MSCONFIG and then press the ENTER key
    >
    > go to the STARTUP tab and deselect the ones you dont want to start...
    > (dont worry this is reversable)
    >
    > after the reboot you will see a message box telling you that you have
    > changed something, select the dont show this message again check box.
    >
    > Kenny
    >

    > "Ricky" <Ricky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I seem to have an awful lot of things running in the background that I
    > >didn't
    > > start so I assume they are loaded automatically on startup. I think it's
    > > slowing my machine down terribly and wonder if there os a way to stop them
    > > from loading when I start up my user account.
    > > Many thanks
    > > --
    > > Ricky

Support Microsoft Windows XP