Hang on Boot when CPU cold

a b à CPUs
March 3, 2005 8:09:08 PM

This may sound strange but having upgraded windows 98 to windows xp on an AMD
machine, it will now hang on boot when the CPU temp is below about 26 degrees
C. On hot days it boots fine. If I turn the M/c off and on again
immediately it boots fine. However If I turn the Machine off, allow it to
cool and then turn it on it will hang. I will then hit the reset switch, and
assuming it has warmed up enough it will continue and boot correctly. This
is a pain in the proverbial because it will then run a checkdisk, and will
probably fix up crossed tracks etc and take forever to start up.

I have all the latest drivers and have the latest BIOS installed. Does
anyone have any ideas?

I have re-installed windows xp and ensured that only MS certified drivers
startup (as per the MS white paper on debugging this sort of issue).

It also hangs whether I do a SAFE MODE boot or a normal boot.

More about : hang boot cpu cold

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 4, 2005 2:56:45 PM

"CTB" <CTB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This may sound strange but having upgraded windows 98 to windows xp
> on an AMD
> machine, it will now hang on boot when the CPU temp is below about
> 26 degrees
> C. On hot days it boots fine. If I turn the M/c off and on again
> immediately it boots fine. However If I turn the Machine off, allow
> it to
> cool and then turn it on it will hang. I will then hit the reset
> switch, and
> assuming it has warmed up enough it will continue and boot
> correctly. This
> is a pain in the proverbial because it will then run a checkdisk,
> and will
> probably fix up crossed tracks etc and take forever to start up.
>
> I have all the latest drivers and have the latest BIOS installed.
> Does
> anyone have any ideas?
>
> I have re-installed windows xp and ensured that only MS certified
> drivers
> startup (as per the MS white paper on debugging this sort of issue).
>
> It also hangs whether I do a SAFE MODE boot or a normal boot.

I have ideas, but you are not going to like them. It very well could
be the mother board going south! Look at the capacitors by the CPU.
http://www.burtonsys.com/bad_BP6/PA090008.JPG Look by your heatsink
for caps bulging like this one (the green thing with the gold stripe
down the side). The

I do tech support for a different industry in electronics. Sometimes
when circuit boards have intermittent connections or a coil winding
has a break in it, they can do some pretty strange things like: Not
work when they are cold or not work when they are warm.

Intermittent problems are the worst to solve!

I did a warranty job for a fellow that had the bulging caps problem.
Yours could be a bad or intermittent connection - worst case scenario!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 4, 2005 7:45:02 PM

You are right on both counts. There are a couple of capacitors bulging at
the top (worse than your photo I am afraid). And you are right that I don't
like the idea that I need to replace the motherboard, although replacing the
motherboard will probably end up being cheaper than the time I have spent on
the issue so far

Many many thanks for helping identify the problem. I can now stop wasting
my time trying BIOS and XP settings in an attempt to fix the problem, and
look at finding a motherboard that supports my CPU and memory.

"Slippery_one" wrote:

> "CTB" <CTB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This may sound strange but having upgraded windows 98 to windows xp
> > on an AMD
> > machine, it will now hang on boot when the CPU temp is below about
> > 26 degrees
> > C. On hot days it boots fine. If I turn the M/c off and on again
> > immediately it boots fine. However If I turn the Machine off, allow
> > it to
> > cool and then turn it on it will hang. I will then hit the reset
> > switch, and
> > assuming it has warmed up enough it will continue and boot
> > correctly. This
> > is a pain in the proverbial because it will then run a checkdisk,
> > and will
> > probably fix up crossed tracks etc and take forever to start up.
> >
> > I have all the latest drivers and have the latest BIOS installed.
> > Does
> > anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > I have re-installed windows xp and ensured that only MS certified
> > drivers
> > startup (as per the MS white paper on debugging this sort of issue).
> >
> > It also hangs whether I do a SAFE MODE boot or a normal boot.
> >

> I have ideas, but you are not going to like them. It very well could
> be the mother board going south! Look at the capacitors by the CPU.
> http://www.burtonsys.com/bad_BP6/PA090008.JPG Look by your heatsink
> for caps bulging like this one (the green thing with the gold stripe
> down the side). The
>
> I do tech support for a different industry in electronics. Sometimes
> when circuit boards have intermittent connections or a coil winding
> has a break in it, they can do some pretty strange things like: Not
> work when they are cold or not work when they are warm.
>
> Intermittent problems are the worst to solve!
>
> I did a warranty job for a fellow that had the bulging caps problem.
> Yours could be a bad or intermittent connection - worst case scenario!

a b à CPUs
March 5, 2005 4:32:20 PM

"Slippery_one" wrote:

> Intermittent problems are the worst to solve!
>
> I did a warranty job for a fellow that had the
> bulging caps problem. Yours could be a bad
> or intermittent connection - worst case
> scenario!

Man, have you got that right. I spent days over a two week period trying
to track down a bad connection once. I could press the motherboard with my
finger and it would work fine. However, no matter what I resoldered, the
problem refused to go away. I spent hours over that period looking at the
motherboard and each component with a magnifying glass. To make matters
worse, just when I thought I had it fixed, the problem would return,
sometime immediately and sometimes not for two or three days. I went from
shear determination at the beginning to utter fustration by the end.
Ultimately, it was cheaper, and a heck of a lot easier, just to replace the
motherboard.

Stewart
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 7, 2005 12:30:05 PM

"Dwight Stewart" <stewartx@NOearthlinkSPAM.net> wrote in message

> Man, have you got that right. I spent days over a two week period
> trying to track down a bad connection once. I could press the
> motherboard with my finger and it would work fine. However, no
> matter what I resoldered, the problem refused to go away. I spent
> hours over that period looking at the motherboard and each component
> with a magnifying glass. To make matters worse, just when I thought
> I had it fixed, the problem would return, sometime immediately and
> sometimes not for two or three days. I went from shear determination
> at the beginning to utter fustration by the end. Ultimately, it was
> cheaper, and a heck of a lot easier, just to replace the
> motherboard.
>
> Stewart

You could always try throwing it a toaster oven <bg>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 7, 2005 12:42:21 PM

> You are right on both counts. There are a couple of capacitors
> bulging at
> the top (worse than your photo I am afraid). And you are right that
> I don't
> like the idea that I need to replace the motherboard, although
> replacing the
> motherboard will probably end up being cheaper than the time I have
> spent on
> the issue so far
>
> Many many thanks for helping identify the problem. I can now stop
> wasting
> my time trying BIOS and XP settings in an attempt to fix the
> problem, and
> look at finding a motherboard that supports my CPU and memory.
>
> "Slippery_one" wrote:

Confront the manufacturer about it and ask for a drop in replacement.
I did this for an ECS mother board and they eventually responded a
with what replacement model to use. It was out of warranty so they did
not replace it but a new only cost $39.95 so it wasn't that big a
deal. Of course one can be reluctant to use the same brand as the one
they had the troubles with. You can email other manufacturers the same
way and give them the model and ask for a drop in replacement. Your
install might be hosed and you'll have to reload windows. I would get
the system running and rip out everything under:

System devices
Network
Sound
Modem
USB

Then when you boot with the new Motherboard be ready with driver disks
and let windows re-find the new hardware. I use to do this with Win98
and it worked for Motherboard transplants. I'm not sure if it will
with XP (anyone?).

Sorry about the bad news BTW
!