Can't browse with http

On Win XP Pro SP2, out of the blue I cant' use IE or email. Here's what I've
done.
1. installed new nic - network browses other PC's fine. I can ping the local
lan and ping the internet - no errors.
2. changed my DNS settings. They match other machines in my lan that can
browse.
3. Deleted the Winsock, Winsock2 registry settings and rebooted and reloaded
TCP/IP.
4. Switched my hard coded IP settings around (192.168.1.14).
5. Reinstalled IE.

It seems I can't use the http protocol for anything (can't even bring up my
firewall home page, although I can ping it.). I want to avoid an OS reload!!!

have you tried another browser like firefox?

"Chief Brown" <Chief Brown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On Win XP Pro SP2, out of the blue I cant' use IE or email. Here's what
> I've
> done.
> 1. installed new nic - network browses other PC's fine. I can ping the
> local
> lan and ping the internet - no errors.
> 2. changed my DNS settings. They match other machines in my lan that can
> browse.
> 3. Deleted the Winsock, Winsock2 registry settings and rebooted and
> reloaded
> TCP/IP.
> 4. Switched my hard coded IP settings around (192.168.1.14).
> 5. Reinstalled IE.
>
> It seems I can't use the http protocol for anything (can't even bring up
> my
> firewall home page, although I can ping it.). I want to avoid an OS
> reload!!!

I have tried Opera - same result. I believe the problem is with the TCP/IP
protocol since I can ping anything.

"Kenny S" wrote:

> have you tried another browser like firefox?
>

> "Chief Brown" <Chief Brown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > On Win XP Pro SP2, out of the blue I cant' use IE or email. Here's what
> > I've
> > done.
> > 1. installed new nic - network browses other PC's fine. I can ping the
> > local
> > lan and ping the internet - no errors.
> > 2. changed my DNS settings. They match other machines in my lan that can
> > browse.
> > 3. Deleted the Winsock, Winsock2 registry settings and rebooted and
> > reloaded
> > TCP/IP.
> > 4. Switched my hard coded IP settings around (192.168.1.14).
> > 5. Reinstalled IE.
> >
> > It seems I can't use the http protocol for anything (can't even bring up
> > my
> > firewall home page, although I can ping it.). I want to avoid an OS
> > reload!!!

What I mean is, I can't browse with anything or get email, but I can ping
everything (local lan pc's and internet servers)

"Chief Brown" wrote:

> I have tried Opera - same result. I believe the problem is with the TCP/IP
> protocol since I can ping anything.
>
> "Kenny S" wrote:
>
> > have you tried another browser like firefox?
> >

> > "Chief Brown" <Chief Brown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > On Win XP Pro SP2, out of the blue I cant' use IE or email. Here's what
> > > I've
> > > done.
> > > 1. installed new nic - network browses other PC's fine. I can ping the
> > > local
> > > lan and ping the internet - no errors.
> > > 2. changed my DNS settings. They match other machines in my lan that can
> > > browse.
> > > 3. Deleted the Winsock, Winsock2 registry settings and rebooted and
> > > reloaded
> > > TCP/IP.
> > > 4. Switched my hard coded IP settings around (192.168.1.14).
> > > 5. Reinstalled IE.
> > >
> > > It seems I can't use the http protocol for anything (can't even bring up
> > > my
> > > firewall home page, although I can ping it.). I want to avoid an OS
> > > reload!!!

Chief,

try this http://www.wedoc.com/tcpip.htm

tell me if this helps...

Kenny

>I have tried Opera - same result. I believe the problem is with the TCP/IP
> protocol since I can ping anything.
>
> "Kenny S" wrote:
>
>> have you tried another browser like firefox?
>>

>> "Chief Brown" <Chief Brown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > On Win XP Pro SP2, out of the blue I cant' use IE or email. Here's what
>> > I've
>> > done.
>> > 1. installed new nic - network browses other PC's fine. I can ping the
>> > local
>> > lan and ping the internet - no errors.
>> > 2. changed my DNS settings. They match other machines in my lan that
>> > can
>> > browse.
>> > 3. Deleted the Winsock, Winsock2 registry settings and rebooted and
>> > reloaded
>> > TCP/IP.
>> > 4. Switched my hard coded IP settings around (192.168.1.14).
>> > 5. Reinstalled IE.
>> >
>> > It seems I can't use the http protocol for anything (can't even bring
>> > up
>> > my
>> > firewall home page, although I can ping it.). I want to avoid an OS
>> > reload!!!

No, did not work.