Upgrading memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

gagsbh

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I have a old Sony Viao (VGN-S460) with 1.73 Ghz processor and 1.25 GB RAM.
I us the laptop for Software devlopment (Android,.Net, SQL Server) and remote desktop/VPN.
Would you suggest me to upgrade RAM to 2 GB or go for a new laptop

it would be cheaper to upgrade the ram.

heres your ram specs pulled from cnet

Memory
RAM 512 MB ( 2 x 256 MB )
Max RAM Supported 2 GB
Technology DDR2 SDRAM
Speed 400 MHz / PC2-3200

shop for "PC2-3200 DDR2 SDRAM" and make sure to get a two stick configuration...for exmaple with a 4gb upgrade get a 2gb and a 2gb stick to occupy both slots. also be aware of 3.5gb ram limiration on the 32 bit os

gagsbh

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

Can you please let me know a good configuration for a laptop and the best brand. I want to buy a laptop solely for the purpose of enterprise appicationdevelopment. Thanks

gagsbh

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

i have 1.25 GB RAM on the laptop. Two Rams (1 and 0.25 GB) SDRAM. If I upgrade the RAM from 0.25 to 1GB that will make it 2GB, then will I get a significantly highrer performance. Will it be worth it. I use the laptop for SW development purpose

1.25 to 2 gig RAM won't make that much of a difference. Will be pretty cheap though, just get another 1 gig stick and toss out the 256mb one. Should cost about 10-15 dollars. New laptop will be 20-30 times that even for a cheap one.

Get the RAM, install a clean version of Windows on the system, should be OK. If you are not doing any video editing, HD video, will be OK.

Hi :)

He CANNOT increase his ram to 4gb....that model is "slot limited" to 1gb PER SLOT...

So 2 gb in TOTAL is the maximum....

To the OP..increasing from 1.25 to 2 WILL make it a little faster and more pleasant to use but nothing more....

All the best Brett :)

Status
Not open for further replies.