SATA RAID Noise

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I have a Pent 4 on an ASUS board with a SATA RAID. The hard drive (when idle)
will be active for 10 seconds every 30 seconds continuously. I reinstalled
Win 2000 Pro (reformat/full install) the drive would not have this activity.
Did a full install of XP Pro (after reformat) drive had the activity. Turned
off sys restore,page file and indexing service, still had the activity.
Machine was not hooked up to any network or internet. Checked running
processes and any activity there did not match the hard drive activity.
Updated the system to sp2 (have cd),installed updated and ran Zone Alarm Pro,
Norton Antivirus, Adware, Spybot S&D, Pestpatrol and all the updates off the
Windows update site. Still the activity. Does something in XP Pro run on a
timer that doesn't/wasn't in Win 2000 Pro?
Thanks

--
John

I have the same issue. I am also observing lots of power dissipation (heat) in the drives.