Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card overheating

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 24, 2003 12:11:18 PM

Well we all know about thermal protection in CPU's. But what would happen to a graphics card if the GPU core fan should fail? Does anyone know?

My system: Intel Pentium 4 2.8, 800 FSB / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / ASUS P4P800 / Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / Antec True Power 550W / Western Digital Raptor / Hercules G.T XP /
Samsung DVD / Lite-On CDRW

More about : graphics card overheating

a b U Graphics card
June 24, 2003 12:45:06 PM

Depends. Nvidia cards have some thermal protection, but whether that would protect from a TOTAL fan failure is anoher story. The Nvidia cards back-off the speed when they deect overheating. But I think they need a fan for regular gaming even if not taxed or underclocked. The Screensaver overheating issue should be an example of that, where even a screensaver which 'tricks' the card into turning off the fan can cause serious overheating. So on a high level card a fan is a must. I don't know of any built-in 'kill' switch/device to protect against vpu/gpu overheating, and ATI has no onboard thermal detection device. I think they all should considering their price and current clock speeds / heat production.
The other problem is that no one wants to test this in the review sites. They wouldn't even test the screensaver bug for fear of blowing the one card they had (a new [at the time] FX5800U) which would have been only a $400 loss for a pretty interesting test IMO.

I'm sure that there are people with 3rd party apps out there hooked up to temp sensors (or onboard) that may hav a system kill switch, but I don't know.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
!