Looking for a college laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbob1122

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I figured I'd give this a shot. I'm looking for a good laptop for college. I'm a commuter student with a powerful desktop at home that I use for gaming and other things but I also need something I can use for notes, Powerpoint, Word, internet browsing and other basic tasks. I don't want a powerhouse of a laptop but I don't want a sloth in performance either.

1. What is your budget?
Under $400.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Size doesn't really matter. Screen size isn't that important to me but something near 15" would be good. As for weight I'd like to find something as lightweight as possible since I'll be carrying in a backpack.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't matter.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Again, this doesn't really matter but at least 3-5 hours.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I probably won't do any gaming. If I did it would be older games that would run on most current systems just fine. Stuff like old Need for Speed games.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Just word processing, powerpoint, and web browsing. That's about it.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
This isn't really important to me. I'm not going to be storing tons of data.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I prefer to buy from stores like Office Depot, Best Buy, hhgregg, etc.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I'm hoping it will last through 4 years of college if not longer.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM is fine.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Most of my computers I have at home are Dell but I'm not loyal to any brand.

13. What country do you live in?
U.S.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I want the laptop to have decent performance but be lightweight at the same time. I already have quite a few books to carry and a super heavy laptop would be even more of a burden. Just keep in mind that most of my serious computer usage will be at home on my desktop since I'm a commuter student. I prefer to buy from a store so I can go and see/touch the laptop before I buy, that way I don't wind up ordering something that has an awkward keyboard or something.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.