Question about the rumored Beacon of Immortality and Agele..

Beacon of Immortality - 5W
Instant
Double target player's life total. Shuffle Beacon of Immortality into
its owner's library.

Ageless Entity - 3GG
Creature - Elemental
Whenever you gain life, put that many +1/+1 counters on Ageless Entity.

whether it exist or not,
my question is would it trigger Ageless Entity ?

Carl Joly <palomides@videotron.ca> wrote:

> Beacon of Immortality - 5W
> Instant
> Double target player's life total. Shuffle Beacon of Immortality into
> its owner's library.
>
> Ageless Entity - 3GG
> Creature - Elemental
> Whenever you gain life, put that many +1/+1 counters on Ageless Entity.
>
> whether it exist or not,
> my question is would it trigger Ageless Entity ?

Only if the target controlled Ageless Entity and had a positive life
total.

Life, Life Total
Life total is a sort of score. Each player starts the game with 20 life.
Any increase in a player's life total is considered to be gaining life.
Any decrease in a player's life total is considered to be losing life. A
player whose life total drops to 0 or less loses. This is a state-based
effect. See rule 420.5.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Carl Joly sez:

<<
>Beacon of Immortality - 5W
>Instant
>Double target player's life total. Shuffle Beacon of Immortality into
>its owner's library.
>
>Ageless Entity - 3GG
>Creature - Elemental
>Whenever you gain life, put that many +1/+1 counters on Ageless >Entity.
>
>whether it exist or not,
>my question is would it trigger Ageless Entity ?

I'm pretty sure any questions about Beacon would also be asked of Biorhythm,
Blessed Wind, and Rebirth, which also "set" life without explicitly using the
word "gain" or "lose" to do it. That being said, rulings on it have made it
clear that if your life total changes, you have gained or lost life.

So, if Beacon of Immortality is real, the ruling will likely be, "Yes, this
triggers the Entity, since you are gaining life."

Here's another likely to be frequently asked question: A player has a Lich in
play and is running in negative life. I play a Beacon of Immortality,
targeting him. Would he lose life? Note that with the Lich, this is a quite
valid question; it'd be meaningless with a Platinum Angel...

----
"I remember back in the day we'd stay up all night...during the summer playing
DnD. Just us, a 12 pack of mtn. dew, a pizza, and alot of sacrificing newborns
on the altar to the lord Satan. good times, good times."
--From Fark.com

Carl Joly <palomides@videotron.ca> wrote:
>Beacon of Immortality - 5W
>Instant
>Double target player's life total. Shuffle Beacon of Immortality into
>its owner's library.
>
>Ageless Entity - 3GG
>Creature - Elemental
>Whenever you gain life, put that many +1/+1 counters on Ageless Entity.
>
>whether it exist or not,
>my question is would it trigger Ageless Entity ?

Depends. Is your current life total 1 or more? Then doubling it makes you
gain life. Is it -1 or less? Then doubling it makes you -lose- life. Is it
0? Then doubling it makes you neither gain nor lose life. Only the first of
these triggers a 'whenever you gain life' triggered ability.

Dave

Andy Jakcsy, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...

> Here's another likely to be frequently asked question: A player has a Lich in
> play and is running in negative life. I play a Beacon of Immortality,
> targeting him. Would he lose life?

No. A negative life total is treated as zero for all purposes except
raising it back to positive numbers.

Jeff Heikkinen <oh@s.if> wrote:
>Andy Jakcsy, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
>>Here's another likely to be frequently asked question: A player has a Lich in
>>play and is running in negative life. I play a Beacon of Immortality,
>>targeting him. Would he lose life?
>
>No. A negative life total is treated as zero for all purposes except
>raising it back to positive numbers.

For all purposes except _changing_ it. The old answer about Mirror Universe
versus Lich (that the Lich's opponent would get set to 0, not to the negative
total) got said by Paul some time ago to be wrong...

Dave