Using Notebook WIthout The Battery

raylee011

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just brought a Toshiba Notebook. I just have a question regarding the battery. Since Notebook Battery have memory just like any rechargable battery. And the notebook that I have is going to be the main computer in the house for me. Do you think it is a good idea to use it with a direct connection to the power outlet and without the battery. I will only use the battery when I am away. Do you think it is good for the notebook?

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Yup, Toshiba, I believe, reckon their batteries have a 300charge/discharge cycle. And I doubt if it is Nickel Metal Hydride, but if it is, then it needs to be treated more carefully than a Lithium Ion battery. But I am 100% sure it isn't, so don't worry. Zpyrd is correct, the best thing to do, is to leave the battery in your notebook while it is plugged in.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

toxicogen

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2003
I agree with the above with one exception: the Li-ion batteries are indeed the most stable however the only thing that one must aviod with these batteries is a complete discharge. (once or twice won't hurt to much but don't do it regularly)

I had a mobile phone with a Li-ion battery it 4 years old now and I gave it to my girlfriend, I have never let it discharge, carried it with me every day and tried to recharge it every night the battery still has full capacity (or to close to notice)

The batteries having a memory is not a problem anymore I agree that you should keep it in the laptop for the longest life.

If all else fails: Read The Manual

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Quite right Toxicogen, the reason is - or so I've heard and read - that when you completely discharge a Li-Ion battery, it induces a negative charge, and drastically damages a battery.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

fatsheep

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
I always use my laptop directly connected to the power adaper without battery.
well~~~~~~~~~~just store the battery in a try cool place.

MSI 760mpx barton 2500+ x 2.
DDR400 512MB.
SCSI 64bit double.
17' flat 1280x1024,viewsonic.
MSI oem Ti4200ocTi4400 128mb RAM VIVO.
~~~~~~~~~Far here in China~~~~~~~~