Added more Memory, system shutdown after ten minutes!

March 4, 2005 4:03:04 AM

I just wanted to add another 256mb of DDR memory to my system. After computer
was operating for about ten minutes it went to a blue screen which I could
not pause and my system totally shutdown. I am running WinXP Home with SP2 on
a K7S5A Motherboard using an AMD 1600+ processor and 256mb DDR 266mhz CL2.5
PC2100 memory. I have a 7200rpm 40gb WD hard drive, Plextor PX716A DVD
Burner, and a TDK 8/4/32 Cd Burner. I installed a stick of 256 DDR 400mhz
3200 CL3 and computer seemed to count it and boot just fine. I got to my user
screen on WINXP and got to my desktop. After my broadband network connected I
clicked on IE to surf the web and after about ten minutes IE gave an error
message saying it would terminate and seconds later I got a blue screen which
in the short glimpse I saw of it it said something about encountering an
error in some installation and something about memory management. I figured
my added stick of memory didn't work so well. So, I took it out figuring that
my machine would boot normally and continue. Needless to say it didn't and I
even tried taking the DDR out and using my two SDram slots with 256mb 100mhz
ram but still no boot. Power light comes on, Hard drive light comes on even
though I tried booting without it, and both CD drives blink on and off for a
few minutes. I also tried with no memory, no drives, and no peripherals
except video. Nothing, no boot. I'm at my wits end. Does anyone have any
ideas here? It's the first time in ten years of building these things that I
can't figure out what happened. I realized the memory were different but it
has never caused me these kind of symptoms. My board appears to be completely
dead. Sorry for rambling but I have to admit I am stumped here!
Thanks
--
Computing is easy.....for the computer anyway!
Anonymous

>I just wanted to add another 256mb of DDR memory to my system. After
>computer
> was operating for about ten minutes it went to a blue screen which I could
> not pause and my system totally shutdown. I am running WinXP Home with SP2
> on
> a K7S5A Motherboard using an AMD 1600+ processor and 256mb DDR 266mhz
> CL2.5
> PC2100 memory. I have a 7200rpm 40gb WD hard drive, Plextor PX716A DVD

How close is the CPU to the memory sockets? I have seen some AMD CPU's that
seem to fit loose in the socket. Or maybe some CPU sockets that aren't quite
to spec. Some motherboards don't have great support under the memory sockets
and installing ram can bend the board a bit when you push it in. This can
put stress on the CPU socket. Try removing and reinstalling the CPU. It's a
long shot but worth a try if a new power supply doesn't do the trick.

Kerry Brown
KDB Systems
March 4, 2005 1:04:29 PM

I know its obvious, but I would suggest resetting the CMOS and removing the
battery for a minute or two.

If that doesn't work then it would certainly seem as if something was
terminal, I would guess one of the power supply outputs.

Is it possible to fire it up using another PSU ?

Neil

"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just wanted to add another 256mb of DDR memory to my system. After
computer
> was operating for about ten minutes it went to a blue screen which I could
> not pause and my system totally shutdown. I am running WinXP Home with SP2
on
> a K7S5A Motherboard using an AMD 1600+ processor and 256mb DDR 266mhz
CL2.5
> PC2100 memory. I have a 7200rpm 40gb WD hard drive, Plextor PX716A DVD
> Burner, and a TDK 8/4/32 Cd Burner. I installed a stick of 256 DDR 400mhz
> 3200 CL3 and computer seemed to count it and boot just fine. I got to my
user
> screen on WINXP and got to my desktop. After my broadband network
connected I
> clicked on IE to surf the web and after about ten minutes IE gave an error
> message saying it would terminate and seconds later I got a blue screen
which
> in the short glimpse I saw of it it said something about encountering an
> error in some installation and something about memory management. I
figured
> my added stick of memory didn't work so well. So, I took it out figuring
that
> my machine would boot normally and continue. Needless to say it didn't and
> even tried taking the DDR out and using my two SDram slots with 256mb
100mhz
> ram but still no boot. Power light comes on, Hard drive light comes on
even
> though I tried booting without it, and both CD drives blink on and off for
> few minutes. I also tried with no memory, no drives, and no peripherals
> except video. Nothing, no boot. I'm at my wits end. Does anyone have any
> ideas here? It's the first time in ten years of building these things that
> can't figure out what happened. I realized the memory were different but
it
> has never caused me these kind of symptoms. My board appears to be
completely
> dead. Sorry for rambling but I have to admit I am stumped here!
> Thanks
> --
> Computing is easy.....for the computer anyway!
Related resources
March 4, 2005 4:47:03 PM

Dear Neil,
It was getting real late for me so while I decided to sleep on it. I
got up this morning and tried just that but it didn't help any. I really
don't know what happened to it. I have a new power supply that I will try
next although my ATX tester says this one is good and so are the voltages. My
brother and I had the same cases when I built both our computers and his
power supply didn't last a year. I didn't have my tester when I was
troubleshooting his so I just tried swapping with a new PS and now his works
great. It's just so weird but as many as I have messed with these things I
guess I really shouldn't be so shocked. Maybe cause it's my own personal
machine is why. Who knows? I really appreciate the feedback though. I was
pretty stressed in the wee hours of the morning when I should have been
sleeping. I wil keep plugging at it. Could be an omen to build the next dream
machine lol. Thanks again.

"Neil" wrote:

> I know its obvious, but I would suggest resetting the CMOS and removing the
> battery for a minute or two.
>
> If that doesn't work then it would certainly seem as if something was
> terminal, I would guess one of the power supply outputs.
>
> Is it possible to fire it up using another PSU ?
>
> Neil
>

> "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I just wanted to add another 256mb of DDR memory to my system. After
> computer
> > was operating for about ten minutes it went to a blue screen which I could
> > not pause and my system totally shutdown. I am running WinXP Home with SP2
> on
> > a K7S5A Motherboard using an AMD 1600+ processor and 256mb DDR 266mhz
> CL2.5
> > PC2100 memory. I have a 7200rpm 40gb WD hard drive, Plextor PX716A DVD
> > Burner, and a TDK 8/4/32 Cd Burner. I installed a stick of 256 DDR 400mhz
> > 3200 CL3 and computer seemed to count it and boot just fine. I got to my
> user
> > screen on WINXP and got to my desktop. After my broadband network
> connected I
> > clicked on IE to surf the web and after about ten minutes IE gave an error
> > message saying it would terminate and seconds later I got a blue screen
> which
> > in the short glimpse I saw of it it said something about encountering an
> > error in some installation and something about memory management. I
> figured
> > my added stick of memory didn't work so well. So, I took it out figuring
> that
> > my machine would boot normally and continue. Needless to say it didn't and
> > even tried taking the DDR out and using my two SDram slots with 256mb
> 100mhz
> > ram but still no boot. Power light comes on, Hard drive light comes on
> even
> > though I tried booting without it, and both CD drives blink on and off for
> > few minutes. I also tried with no memory, no drives, and no peripherals
> > except video. Nothing, no boot. I'm at my wits end. Does anyone have any
> > ideas here? It's the first time in ten years of building these things that
> > can't figure out what happened. I realized the memory were different but
> it
> > has never caused me these kind of symptoms. My board appears to be
> completely
> > dead. Sorry for rambling but I have to admit I am stumped here!
> > Thanks
> > --
> > Computing is easy.....for the computer anyway!

March 4, 2005 5:23:03 PM

Dear Kerry,
My MB is supported really well in that area of the board but I always
do that same thing when troubleshooting because one should always make sure
things are still seated properly. I would have added all this info but I was
really stressed and tired. I had been up since six the preceding morning and
the clock was reaching close to 4:30am this morning. I really can't sleep
much when I have a machine that won't play fair if you know what I mean. Of
course the bad is side is not thinking it out very clear also. Anyway I
really appreciate your feedback. I still have one more thing to try and that
is the power supply. My brothers' machine I built for him had the same PS as
mine and his had quit already too so maybe it will work. Like I wrote to Neil
though, my ATX PS tester says the PS is good. I also did a voltage check and
it's within specs for this board. I have seen stranger things fix a problem
so who knows? It's looking more like a dead board by the minute I'm afraid. I
just hate facing that because it's my own personal machine. Not to mention
the hassle of telling Microsoft to key my XP on again because my hardware is
going to change drastically. Oh well, 101001001110111110000010101110100101
lol.
Thanks again.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> >I just wanted to add another 256mb of DDR memory to my system. After
> >computer
> > was operating for about ten minutes it went to a blue screen which I could
> > not pause and my system totally shutdown. I am running WinXP Home with SP2
> > on
> > a K7S5A Motherboard using an AMD 1600+ processor and 256mb DDR 266mhz
> > CL2.5
> > PC2100 memory. I have a 7200rpm 40gb WD hard drive, Plextor PX716A DVD
>
> How close is the CPU to the memory sockets? I have seen some AMD CPU's that
> seem to fit loose in the socket. Or maybe some CPU sockets that aren't quite
> to spec. Some motherboards don't have great support under the memory sockets
> and installing ram can bend the board a bit when you push it in. This can
> put stress on the CPU socket. Try removing and reinstalling the CPU. It's a
> long shot but worth a try if a new power supply doesn't do the trick.
>
> Kerry Brown
> KDB Systems

May 9, 2005 4:31:21 PM

I have the same problem and after talking to the memory support teck, i used
a single sided memory instead of a double sided memory. what i have to do is
pull elec, cord, and battery from motherboard. wait 24 hrs and reinstall
memory , battery and jump pins on the mother board. i am trying to find out
how to jump the pins to kick start the system. i hope this helps you, good
luck.
P.S let me know how you made out and if u have info, on jumping the pins.!!!

!