Counters and Combat

Hi

Last Monday we played some nice games and have a lot of unansewered
questions.

Here the first one:

Player A attackes with Some Creatures, which had "modular", Player B.
Then I (Player C) used the Heavy Ballista, which says "Tap: Heavy Ballista
deals 2 Damage to target Attacking or blocking creature"
So i killed one Creature which has had 2 Lifepoints.

My Questions are:
- Does this creature deal combat damage?
- When are the Modularcounter distributed? Before or After the Fight?
When its in the fight and i give the counter to another attacking
creature does this creature deal more combatdamage?

Thank you all

Haggy

Boas Enkler <info@it-design.biz> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Last Monday we played some nice games and have a lot of unansewered
> questions.
>
> Here the first one:
>
> Player A attackes with Some Creatures, which had "modular", Player B.
> Then I (Player C) used the Heavy Ballista, which says "Tap: Heavy Ballista
> deals 2 Damage to target Attacking or blocking creature"
> So i killed one Creature which has had 2 Lifepoints.

Creatures don't have "Lifepoints".

Life, Life Total
Life total is a sort of score. Each player starts the game with 20 life.
Any increase in a player's life total is considered to be gaining life.
Any decrease in a player's life total is considered to be losing life. A
player whose life total drops to 0 or less loses. This is a state-based
effect. See rule 420.5.

I'm going to assume that you meant toughness.

> My Questions are:
> - Does this creature deal combat damage?

When was it killed?

If it was still a creature (i.e., still in play) at the start of the
combat damage step, the combat damage it inflicts was put on the stack
and its death won't touch that.

If it died before the combat damage step, it was no longer an attacking
creature able to inflict combat damage.

> - When are the Modularcounter distributed? Before or After the Fight?

502.35. Modular

502.35a Modular represents both a static ability and a triggered
ability. "Modular X" means "This permanent comes into play with X +1/+1
counters on it" and "When this permanent is put into a graveyard from
play, you may put a +1/+1 counter on target artifact creature for each
+1/+1 counter on this permanent."

502.35b If a creature has multiple instances of modular, each one works
separately.

The ability of the Heavy Ballista can only be used during the combat
phase. Anything triggering from the creature's death (e.g., Modular)
resolves during the same phase and step.

> When its in the fight and i give the counter to another attacking
> creature does this creature deal more combatdamage?

The assignment of combat damage is based on the power at the start of
the combat damage step.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Boas Enkler wrote:

> Hi
>
> Last Monday we played some nice games and have a lot of unansewered
> questions.
>
> Here the first one:
>
> Player A attackes with Some Creatures, which had "modular", Player B.
> Then I (Player C) used the Heavy Ballista, which says "Tap: Heavy Ballista
> deals 2 Damage to target Attacking or blocking creature"
> So i killed one Creature which has had 2 Lifepoints.

Lifepoints? I'll assume you mean toughness.

> My Questions are:
> - Does this creature deal combat damage?
> - When are the Modularcounter distributed? Before or After the Fight?
> When its in the fight and i give the counter to another attacking
> creature does this creature deal more combatdamage?

It all depends on when you kill the creature. If you do it before the
combat damage step, the creature won't deal damage but will have been
able to put it's counters on another artifact creature which will then
deal more damage.
If you kill it after the damage went onto the stack, the creature will
deal damage but the creature getting the counters won't deal extra
damage for the counters.

If one of the creatures had first strike and the other didn't, it's a
different story. Then the creatures don't deal damage at the same time
so you can wait for the first one to deal it's damage, and the shoot
before the otherone is able to deal it's damage.

David

On Wed, 19 May 2004 08:43:11 +0200, Boas Enkler <info@it-design.biz> wrote:
>Last Monday we played some nice games and have a lot of unansewered
>questions.

Yaaay!

>Player A attackes with Some Creatures, which had "modular", Player B.

Something's missing here. Player B what?

>Then I (Player C) used the Heavy Ballista, which says "Tap: Heavy Ballista
>deals 2 Damage to target Attacking or blocking creature"
>So i killed one Creature which has had 2 Lifepoints.

2 -toughness-. Quite possibly, given the question, this was a 0/0 creature
with two +1/+1 counters on it... but that still means it has toughness 2.
The counters are not "life counters" or 'hit points' in any way, and
creatures don't have 'life totals'.

>My Questions are:
>- Does this creature deal combat damage?

Depends. When was the Heavy Ballista actually USED?

If it was used before combat-damage step, step 4 of Combat phase, started,
then the creature that got killed won't be there to put combat damage on
the stack as that step starts. So it won't assign any combat damage, and
thus can't deal any.

If the Heavy Ballista waited until combat damage was on the stack, then
combat damage was already on the stack (obviously)... and its amount and
destination(s) won't change; in this case the creature had already assigned
its combat damage, and that damage will later get dealt even though the
creature it's _from_ has gone missing. [Anything that needs to know what
the source of the damage looks like, in this case, uses the appearance
of the creature as it left play.]

>- When are the Modularcounter distributed? Before or After the Fight?

Depends. When did the creature -die-?

If it died before combat-damage step, then the Modular triggers and goes
on the stack and resolves, all before combat-damage step can start. In this
case the counters are on the new creature(s) before combat damage goes on
the stack, and contribute to how much power those creatures have at that time
and thus to how much combat damage they assign.

If it died after combat damage was on the stack, the Modular triggers and
goes on the stack and resolves as a response to combat damage. In this case,
as noted above, the AMOUNT of combat damage is already fixed, even if the
power(s) of the creatures involve change later; getting the +1/+1 counter(s)
after combat damage is on the stack can't change how much combat damage a
creature will deal. [It can change whether the creature will -survive- the
damage something else is dealing -to- it, by upping its toughness before
the damage gets dealt; that's different.]

> When its in the fight and i give the counter to another attacking
>creature does this creature deal more combatdamage?

Depends. Did you do so before combat damage went on the stack? Then yes. Did
you wait until combat damage was already on the stack? Then no.

Dave

Boas Enkler sez:

<<
>Player A attackes with Some Creatures, which had "modular", Player B.
>Then I (Player C) used the Heavy Ballista, which says "Tap: Heavy Ballista
>deals 2 Damage to target Attacking or blocking creature"
>So i killed one Creature which has had 2 Lifepoints.

2 toughness.

<<
>My Questions are:
>- Does this creature deal combat damage?

Depends on when you killed the creature. If you killed it before the Combat
Damage step, then no, it doesn't. After, then the damage has already been
assigned and will be dealt.

<<
>- When are the Modularcounter distributed? Before or After the Fight?

The counters are distributed immediately (as the second part of Modular
triggers on the creature going to a graveyard from play). Note that this
affects combat by a) raising the toughness of one of your other attacking
Modular creatures, and b), if done before the combat damage step, raising the
amount of damage that other attacking Modular creature will deal during the
step.

<<
> When its in the fight and i give the counter to another attacking
>creature does this creature deal more combatdamage?

This also depends on when you killed the first creature. If before the combat
damage step, then yes, it will. After, no, it won't, but it will be able to
TAKE more damage.

----
"If President Bush is going to take credit for 'the invisble hand' [of
economics], then he's going to take the blame when 'the hand' gives him the
finger."
--From Fark.com

David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
>Boas Enkler <info@it-design.biz> wrote:
>>Player A attackes with Some Creatures, which had "modular", Player B.
>
>Something's missing here. Player B what?

Oh, attackes Player B. Never mind then.

Dave

David DeLaney sez:

<<
>>Player A attackes with Some Creatures, which had "modular", Player B.
>
>Something's missing here. Player B what?

I think he meant: "Player A attacks Player B with creatures that have
Modular." Poor predicate object management. But it appears that he's not a
native English speaker, so I'd let that pass...except that he's learned from
it, now...

----