Platinum Angel and humble

Last response: in Video Games
May 19, 2004 12:51:40 PM

Here the second question

We've had a strange Situation, there were 2 Platinum angels, one i have had
and one my opponent has had.

My Opponent has had -1 Lives and only lifed because the platinum angel was
in play. which says :" "Flying You can't lose the game and your opponents
can't win the game." "

The opponent has attached the "whisper silkcloak" to the Angel, so that i
can't disenchant the Angel.

so in my turn, I first disenchanted the whisper silkcload and than played
humble on the Angel.

My Question, does the Player die ?
Is the text on the Angel an abilities?

Humble says "Target creature is a 0/1 creatur

Whispersilk Cloak:
Here the exact textes of the cards:
Equipped creatur is unblockable and can't be the target of spells or
abilities.
Equip 2 Mana(2 Mana: Attach to target Kreatur you control. Equip only as a
sorcery. This card comes into play unattached and stays in play if the
Kreatur leaves play.)

humble:
Target creature loses all abilities and becomes 0/1 until end of turn

An Other question to the whispersilk cloak:
if it is attached to a Creature like a slith, does this slith get his
counters after fight.

for example: Slith Ascendant " "Flying Whenever Slith Ascendant deals
combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it." with the cloak does
the slith get the counter if he has the whispersilk cloak?

thank you all
Haggy

More about : platinum angel humble

Anonymous
May 19, 2004 12:51:41 PM

Boas Enkler <info@it-design.biz> wrote:

> Here the second question
>
> We've had a strange Situation, there were 2 Platinum angels, one i have had
> and one my opponent has had.
>
> My Opponent has had -1 Lives and only lifed because the platinum angel was
> in play. which says :" "Flying You can't lose the game and your opponents
> can't win the game." "
>
> The opponent has attached the "whisper silkcloak" to the Angel, so that i
> can't disenchant the Angel.

Do you mean "Whispersilk Cloak"?

Whispersilk Cloak
{3}
Artifact -- Equipment
Equipped creature is unblockable and can't be the target of spells or
abilities.
Equip {2} ({2}: Attach to target creature you control. Equip only as a
sorcery. This card comes into play unattached and stays in play if the
creature leaves play.)

> so in my turn, I first disenchanted the whisper silkcload and than played
> humble on the Angel.
>
> My Question, does the Player die ?
> Is the text on the Angel an abilities?

Yes and yes.

402. Abilities

402.1. An ability is text on an object that's not reminder text or
flavor text (see rule 400.1). The result of following such an
instruction is an effect. (See rule 416, "Effects.") Abilities can
affect the objects they're on; they can also affect other objects and/or
players. Abilities can grant abilities to other objects or to the
objects they're on; they do so when the words "has," "have," "gains," or
"gain" are used.

405. Static Abilities

405.1. A static ability does something all the time rather than being
activated or triggered. The ability isn't played--it just "exists." Such
abilities apply only while the ability is on a permanent in play, unless
the ability is covered by rule 402.8 or 402.9.

> Humble says "Target creature is a 0/1 creatur

Humble
{1}{W}
Instant
Target creature loses all abilities and becomes 0/1 until end of turn.

> An Other question to the whispersilk cloak:
> if it is attached to a Creature like a slith, does this slith get his
> counters after fight.
>
> for example: Slith Ascendant " "Flying Whenever Slith Ascendant deals
> combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it." with the cloak does
> the slith get the counter if he has the whispersilk cloak?

Slith Ascendant
{1}{W}{W}
Creature -- Slith
1/1
Flying
Whenever Slith Ascendant deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1
counter on it.

I see no reason for a Whispersilk Cloak to interfere with either ability
of Slith Ascendant.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Boas Enkler wrote:

> Here the second question
>
> We've had a strange Situation, there were 2 Platinum angels, one i
> have had and one my opponent has had.
>
> My Opponent has had -1 Lives and only lifed [lived] because the
> platinum angel was in play. which says :" "Flying You can't lose the
> game and your opponents can't win the game." "
>
> The opponent has attached the "whisper silkcloak" to the Angel, so
> that i can't disenchant the Angel.

Wise move.

> so in my turn, I first disenchanted the whisper silkcload and than
> played humble on the Angel.

Also wise.

> My Question, does the Player die ? Is the text on the Angel an
> abilities?

Yes he does, and yes he is.

> Humble says "Target creature is a 0/1 creatur
>
> Whispersilk Cloak: Here the exact textes of the cards: Equipped
> creatur is unblockable and can't be the target of spells or
> abilities. Equip 2 Mana(2 Mana: Attach to target Kreatur you
> control. Equip only as a sorcery. This card comes into play
> unattached and stays in play if the Kreatur leaves play.)
>
> humble: Target creature loses all abilities and becomes 0/1 until
> end of turn
>

> An Other question to the whispersilk cloak: if it is attached to a
> Creature like a slith, does this slith get his counters after fight.

The slith doesn't use the word "target" so the cloak can't prevent
the slith from getting counters. (Actualy it helps very well.)

> for example: Slith Ascendant " "Flying Whenever Slith Ascendant
> deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it." with
> the cloak does the slith get the counter if he has the whispersilk
> cloak?
>

> thank you all Haggy

you're welcome,
David
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 8:58:13 PM

On Wed, 19 May 2004 08:51:40 +0200, Boas Enkler <info@it-design.biz> wrote:
>We've had a strange Situation, there were 2 Platinum angels, one i have had
>and one my opponent has had.

While that's the case, neither of you can lose, and neither of you can win
either.

>My Opponent has had -1 Lives and only lifed because the platinum angel was
>in play. which says :" "Flying You can't lose the game and your opponents
>can't win the game." "

Right.

>The opponent has attached the "whisper silkcloak" to the Angel, so that i
>can't disenchant the Angel.

Okay.

>so in my turn, I first disenchanted the whisper silkcload and than played
>humble on the Angel.

Okay, and very good.

>My Question, does the Player die ?

Yes. The Angel no longer has the ability that says he can't lose (and you
can't win). _Your_ Angel still has an ability that says _you_ can't lose and
_he_ can't win... but that doesn't help him any. So the next time state-based
effects are checked for, the one that says a player loses if their life total
is 0 or less hits him with the Big State-Based Effects Hammer and causes him
to lose the game.

(In other words, he loses right after the Humble resolves, before anyone can
add anything new to the stack or play any new abilities.)

>Is the text on the Angel an abilities?

Yes. It is a static ability. (Two, in fact; "Flying" is a static ability also.)

>An Other question to the whispersilk cloak:
>if it is attached to a Creature like a slith, does this slith get his
>counters after fight.

The Slith ability doesn't target anything, in general. It -affects- the Slith
by putting counters on it, but does not -target- it; you can see this because
it doesn't use the word "target".

In Magic, the only things that target are things that say so in their Oracle
text, and local-enchantment spells in the process of being cast.

>for example: Slith Ascendant " "Flying Whenever Slith Ascendant deals
>combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it." with the cloak does
>the slith get the counter if he has the whispersilk cloak?

Yes, since this ability is a triggered ability that has no targets. The Cloak
doesn't stop the Slith from being -affected by- spells or abilities, only
from being (picked as) the -target- of one.

Dave
May 19, 2004 11:41:49 PM

Boas Enkler sez:

<<
>Here the second question
>
>We've had a strange Situation, there were 2 Platinum angels, one i have had
>and one my opponent has had.
>
>My Opponent has had -1 Lives and only lifed because the platinum angel was
>in play. which says :" "Flying You can't lose the game and your opponents
>can't win the game." "
>
>The opponent has attached the "whisper silkcloak" to the Angel, so that i
>can't disenchant the Angel.
>
>so in my turn, I first disenchanted the whisper silkcload and than played
>humble on the Angel.
>
>My Question, does the Player die ?

Yes. Platinum Angel loses all abilities, including static abilities. Thus it
is a 0/1 creature with no abilities. And unless he has something else keeping
him alive, he will lose when SBE's are checked right after the Humble resolves.

<<
>An Other question to the whispersilk cloak:
>if it is attached to a Creature like a slith, does this slith get his
>counters after fight.

Yes it does, because that ability is not a targeted ability.

----
"If President Bush is going to take credit for 'the invisble hand' [of
economics], then he's going to take the blame when 'the hand' gives him the
finger."
--From Fark.com
!