Blinkmoth Infusion & Isochron Scepter

Blinkmoth Infusion - 12UU
Instant
Affinity for artifacts
Untap all artifacts.

Isochron Scepter - 2
Artifact
Imprint -- When Isochron Scepter comes into play, you may remove an
instant card with converted mana cost 2 or less in your hand from the
game. (The removed card is imprinted on this artifact.) , : You may
copy the imprinted instant card and play the copy without paying its
mana cost.

If I have 12 artifacts in play, can I imprint Blinkmoth Infusion on to
Isochron Scepter?

Lophophora <nope@nope.com> wrote:

> Blinkmoth Infusion - 12UU
> Instant
> Affinity for artifacts
> Untap all artifacts.
>
> Isochron Scepter - 2
> Artifact
> Imprint -- When Isochron Scepter comes into play, you may remove an
> instant card with converted mana cost 2 or less in your hand from the
> game. (The removed card is imprinted on this artifact.) , : You may
> copy the imprinted instant card and play the copy without paying its
> mana cost.

203. Mana Cost and Color

203.1. The mana cost of a card is indicated by mana symbols printed on
its upper right corner. Tokens and lands have a mana cost of {o0}.
Paying an object's mana cost requires matching the color of any colored
mana symbols as well as paying the generic mana cost indicated.

203.3. The converted mana cost of an object is a number equal to the
total amount of mana in its mana cost, regardless of color. Some effects
ask a player to pay mana equal to an object's converted mana cost; this
is a generic mana cost--it may be paid with any combination of colored
and/or colorless mana, regardless of the colors in the object's mana
cost.
Example: A mana cost of {o3}{oU}{oU} translates to a converted mana cost
of 5.

The converted mana cost of Blinkmoth Infusion is 14. Period.

> If I have 12 artifacts in play, can I imprint Blinkmoth Infusion on to
> Isochron Scepter?

No.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Lophophora, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> Blinkmoth Infusion - 12UU
> Instant
> Affinity for artifacts
> Untap all artifacts.
>
> Isochron Scepter - 2
> Artifact
> Imprint -- When Isochron Scepter comes into play, you may remove an
> instant card with converted mana cost 2 or less in your hand from the
> game. (The removed card is imprinted on this artifact.) , : You may
> copy the imprinted instant card and play the copy without paying its
> mana cost.
>
> If I have 12 artifacts in play, can I imprint Blinkmoth Infusion on to
> Isochron Scepter?

No. Nothing ever changes the converted mana cost of something, and
Affinity is no exception. It changes the cost you actually pay to play
it, but that's not the same thing. So Blinkmoth Infusion has a CMC of
14, which is way more than the 2 Isochron Scepter is capped at,
regardless of how many artifacts you control.

Jeff Heikkinen <oh@s.if> wrote:

> Nothing ever changes the converted mana cost of something,

Except for copy effects. A Clone of Draco would have a converted mana
cost of 16, not 4.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net
http://members.iquest.net/~panoptes/
039 53 36 N / 086 11 55 W

Lophophora <nope@nope.com> wrote:
>Blinkmoth Infusion - 12UU
>Instant
>Affinity for artifacts
>Untap all artifacts.
>
>Isochron Scepter - 2
>Artifact
>Imprint -- When Isochron Scepter comes into play, you may remove an
>instant card with converted mana cost 2 or less in your hand from the
>game. (The removed card is imprinted on this artifact.) , : You may
>copy the imprinted instant card and play the copy without paying its
>mana cost.

Before reading any further, you cannot imprint BI on a Scepter through the
Scepter's own ability, as BI's converted mana cost is _fourteen_. Fourteen
is not "two or less".

>If I have 12 artifacts in play, can I imprint Blinkmoth Infusion on to
>Isochron Scepter?

No, because BI's converted mana cost _does not change_ regardless of how
many artifacts you have in play. Neither does its mana cost. Affinity only
changes how much you pay to _play the spell_ (cast it); nothing in Magic
changes something's mana cost or CMC.

Dave

Jabberwocky

"Lophophora" <nope@nope.com> wrote in message
> Blinkmoth Infusion - 12UU
> Instant
> Affinity for artifacts
> Untap all artifacts.
>
> Isochron Scepter - 2
> Artifact
> Imprint -- When Isochron Scepter comes into play, you may remove an
> instant card with converted mana cost 2 or less in your hand from the
> game. (The removed card is imprinted on this artifact.) , : You may
> copy the imprinted instant card and play the copy without paying its
> mana cost.
>
> If I have 12 artifacts in play, can I imprint Blinkmoth Infusion on to
> Isochron Scepter?

No. Cost reducers do not change the converted mana cost, which is printed in
the top right corner of the card, only the cost to play the card. Sorry...

--
JahBerWocky
Good God, He's Lansdellicious!