Missing Module - CD Writing Wizard

March 4, 2005 5:01:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

When I attempt to write to a CD using the CD Writing Wizard included with
Windows XP, I get a "Cannot Complete the CD Writing Wizard" error message,
with an additional comment in the Event Viewer about a missing module.

"The Application Management service terminated
with the following error: The specified module
could not be found."

Where can I download another copy of the CD Writing Wizard to reinstall on
my computer? Or, absent that, where can I find the module for the CD Writing
Wizard on my computer and what additional files are needed to make it work?

Stewart
March 4, 2005 5:01:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Check the disks that came with your PC when you purchased it. There should
be one for installing your CD drive (probably D drive). Insert the disk and
try
an install.

"Dwight Stewart" wrote:

> When I attempt to write to a CD using the CD Writing Wizard included with
> Windows XP, I get a "Cannot Complete the CD Writing Wizard" error message,
> with an additional comment in the Event Viewer about a missing module.
>
> "The Application Management service terminated
> with the following error: The specified module
> could not be found."
>
> Where can I download another copy of the CD Writing Wizard to reinstall on
> my computer? Or, absent that, where can I find the module for the CD Writing
> Wizard on my computer and what additional files are needed to make it work?
>
> Stewart

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 10:45:15 PM

"Byte" wrote:

> Check the disks that came with your PC when
> you purchased it. There should be one for
> installing your CD drive (probably D drive).
> Insert the disk and try an install.

Already checked those disks. One is an OEM Windows CD that appears limited
to a new installations only (no partial or repair install) and the other CD
is for the installation of drivers and applications (with none of that
related to the CD). Besides, there has to be something easier than returning
the hard drive to the state shipped by the manufacturer, and reinstalling
all the updates and independant applications, just to fix this problem. I
had a backup of the drive, but, after installing that, the problem remains
(meaning the problem started before the backup was made and it was backed up
with the rest of the hard drive). Sadly, I haven't had this computer long
enough to have more than one backup.

Stewart
March 5, 2005 4:44:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I haven't needed to run any software to install a CD or DVD drive in
years. Most of them are IDE drives, and found automatically by Windows.

I've never used the Windows XP CD writer software, because it's useless.
My last CD and DVD came with Nero software, which does my CD/DVD making
just fine.

Byte wrote:
> Check the disks that came with your PC when you purchased it. There should
> be one for installing your CD drive (probably D drive). Insert the disk and
> try
> an install.
>
> "Dwight Stewart" wrote:
>

>> When I attempt to write to a CD using the CD Writing Wizard included with
>>Windows XP, I get a "Cannot Complete the CD Writing Wizard" error message,
>>with an additional comment in the Event Viewer about a missing module.
>>
>> "The Application Management service terminated
>> with the following error: The specified module
>> could not be found."
>>
>> Where can I download another copy of the CD Writing Wizard to reinstall on
>>my computer? Or, absent that, where can I find the module for the CD Writing
>>Wizard on my computer and what additional files are needed to make it work?
>>
>>Stewart

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 3:55:51 PM

"Ron Knights" wrote:

> I haven't needed to run any software to install
> a CD or DVD drive in years. Most of them are
> IDE drives, and found automatically by
> Windows. (snip)

There is nothing wrong with the drive itself, or the drivers for it. Other
software can write CD's without problems. Instead, the problem is isolated
to the CD Writing Wizard - or, more specifically, one or more of the modules
the Wizard calls to handle the actual CD writing task.

> I've never used the Windows XP CD writer
> software, because it's useless. (snip)

I disagree with the useless claim. While I have several programs on my
computer to handle various CD writing tasks, the XP CD Writing Wizard was
(past tense in my case) ideal to quickly burn a file or app to a CD, to use
myself on another nearby computer (something I do daily) or distribute to a
co-worker, family member, or friend.

Stewart
!