Moving Base Station Software from one computer to newer co..

pat

Expert

I have a desktop that is on its last legs and this is
where I initially setup my MN-500 Base station via
ethernet. I have three laptops, two running MN-520
Adapters and one new laptop with it's own integrated
wireless wifi internal. Can I get rid of my desktop and
run the whole thing off of one of the laptops?
Additionally, I can see all of the computers that are
running Microsoft adapters in the Microsoft Broadband
Network Utility, but cannot see my new computer which has
it's own internal wifi adapter?

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

No problem. Just load the Broadband Network Utility on
any of the PC's on your LAN.
On your new PC just remember, your workgroup name is not
the same as your wireless network name, they are
different settings. Make sure your new computer's
workgroup name is correct. Check it at - control panel -
system - computer name - change - and enter
your "Workgroup" name.

Gary

Actually, if the chosen machine is Windows XP, you don't need to install the
front-end software (BNU) at all. The base station can be managed through
the browser by simply typing in the IP address in the Address line. The
base station doesn't need any modification of settings when a new machine is
added to the LAN, unless it is filtering by MAC address.
In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert