Differences in the Rules: Feb to June

Not much changed...
Peter
===

[-100.6. A player can concede the game at any time. A player who concedes
leaves the game immediately. He or she loses the game.-]

102.7. [+A player can concede the game at any time.+] A player who concedes
a game leaves the game immediately. He or she loses the game.

103.1. Whenever a card's text directly contradicts these rules, the card
takes precedence. The card overrides only the rule that applies to that
specific situation. The only exception is that [+a player can concede the
game at any time,+][-the rules in section 100, "General," and section 101,
"Starting the Game," can't be overridden by the cards. Those rules apply all
times,-] regardless of what [-the-][+other+] cards say.

103.2. When [-one-][+a rule or+] effect says something can happen and
another [+effect+] says it can't, the "can't" effect wins.

203.1. The mana cost of a card is indicated by mana symbols printed on its
upper right corner. Tokens and lands have a mana cost of {o0} [+unless
otherwise specified+]. Paying an object's mana cost requires matching the
color of any colored mana symbols as well as paying the generic mana cost
indicated.

216.1. ... A token doesn't have any characteristics not defined by the spell
or ability that created it. The spell or ability that creates the token sets
both its name and creature type at the same time. [+If the spell or ability
doesn't specify the name of the token, its name is the same as its creature
type.+]

302.3. No player receives priority during the untap step, so no spells or
abilities can be played or resolved. Any ability that triggers during this
step will be held until [+the next time+] a player would receive priority,
[+which is usually+] during the upkeep step.

409.1g [+If the total cost includes a mana payment,+] the player then has a
chance to play mana abilities (see rule 411, "Playing Mana Abilities"). Mana
abilities must be played before costs are paid.

411.2. A player may play an activated mana ability whenever he or she has
priority [+or whenever he or she is playing a spell or activated ability
that requires a mana payment+]. A player may also play one whenever a rule
or effect asks for a mana payment, even in the middle of playing or
resolving a spell or ability.

420.5c A creature with lethal damage, but greater than 0 toughness, is
destroyed. Lethal damage is an amount of damage greater than or equal to a
creature's toughness. Regeneration [-does-][+can+] replace this event.

[+
502.36. Scry

502.36a Scry is a static ability that functions while a spell or ability is
resolving. "Scry X" means "Look at the top X cards of your library. Put any
number of them on the bottom of your library in any order and the rest on
top of your library in any order."

502.35b If a spell or ability has multiple instances of scry, each one works
separately.

502.37. Sunburst

502.37a Sunburst is a static ability that functions as a spell is resolving.
"Sunburst" means "If this spell is a creature spell, it comes into play with
a +1/+1 counter on it for each color of mana used to pay its cost. If this
spell is a noncreature spell, it comes into play with a charge counter on it
for each color of mana used to pay its cost."

502.37b Sunburst applies only as the spell is resolving and only if one or
more colored mana was paid for its costs. Mana paid for additional or
alternative costs applies.

502.37c Sunburst can also be used to set a variable number for another
ability. If the keyword is used in this way, it doesn't matter whether the
ability is on a creature spell or on a noncreature spell.
Example: The ability "Modular-Sunburst" means "This permanent comes into
play with a +1/+1 counter on it for each color of mana used to pay its cost"
and "When this permanent is put into a graveyard from play, you may put a
+1/+1 counter on target artifact creature for each +1/+1 counter on this
permanent."

502.37d If a creature has multiple instances of sunburst, each one works
separately.
+]

Creature Type
.... Bird, Blinkmoth, Boar, Bodyguard, [-Brood,-][+Bringer,+] Brother,
Brownie, Brushwagg, Bull, ... Phantasm, Phelddagrif, Phoenix, Pig, Pikemen,
[+Pincher,+] Pirate, Pixie-Queen, Plant, Poison-Snake

Mana
The type of mana a permanent "could produce" is the type of mana that any
ability of that permanent can generate, taking into account any applicable
replacement effects. If the type of mana can't be defined, there's no type
of mana that that permanent could produce. The "type" of mana [-includes
both-][+is+] its color [-(if any) and any restrictions placed upon it,-][+or
lack thereof (for colorless mana)+].

Move
To move a local enchantment, Equipment, or a counter means to take it from
[-one object-][+where it currently is+] and put it onto [-another-][+an
object or player+]. If the enchantment, Equipment, or counter no longer
exists or the [-new permanent is-][+object it will move onto is+] no longer
in [-play-][+the correct zone+] when the effect would move it, nothing
happens. Similarly, an enchantment or Equipment can't be moved onto a
permanent it couldn't enchant or equip; if this kind of move is attempted,
the enchantment or Equipment stays where it is.

[+
Scry
Scry is a static ability that functions while a spell or ability is
resolving. "Scry X" means "Look at the top X cards of your library. Put any
number of them on the bottom of your library in any order and the rest on
top of your library in any order." See rule 502.36, "Scry."
+]

[+
Sunburst
Sunburst is a static ability that functions as a spell is resolving.
"Sunburst" means "If this spell is a creature spell, it comes into play with
a +1/+1 counter on it for each color of mana used to pay its cost. If this
spell is a noncreature spell, it comes into play with a charge counter on it
for each color of mana used to pay its cost." See rule 502.37, "Sunburst."
+]

Type
2. The "type" of mana [-includes both its color (if any) and any
restrictions placed upon it (for example, mana that can be used only to
play artifact spells).-][+ is its color, or lack thereof (for colorless
mana).+]

[+
Unattach
An Equipment becomes unattached if it was attached to a creature and then is
not. If an Equipment leaves play while attached to a creature, it becomes
unattached.
+]

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Daniel W. Johnson wrote:

> Peter Cooper Jr. <pete@cooper.homedns.org> wrote:
>
> > the Fifth Dawn FAQ for Doubling Cube (which
> > is on Wizards's site somewhere; I don't have a link handy)
>
> http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/faq/fifthdawn

Thanks, I always forget to read those faqs when I have a question.
Somehow I always think the Oracle and the Comprehensive Rules are my
only resources.

--

David

On Fri, 28 May 2004 15:13:23 -0500, panoptes@iquest.net (Daniel W.
Johnson) wrote:

>Simon Nejmann <snejmann@worldonline.REMOVETHIS.dk> wrote:

>> * Any triggered abilities that triggered during the untap step will go
>> onto the stack at the start of the draw step.

>No, because it doesn't trigger. That last point has no relevance to
>Force of Nature, because Force of Nature has no abilities that would
>trigger during the UNTAP step; its ability triggers "At the beginning of
>your UPKEEP". That last point does apply to things like Mesmeric Orb
>and Shimmering Efreet:

Thanks, nice explanation. But it turns out all you had to say was: You
are wrong because you read the faq wrong; it says "during the untap"
and not "during the upkeep"... Doh!

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Simon Nejmann <snejmann@worldonline.REMOVETHIS.dk> wrote:

> Thanks, nice explanation. But it turns out all you had to say was: You
> are wrong because you read the faq wrong; it says "during the untap"
> and not "during the upkeep"... Doh!

I wasn't certain whether it was the FAQ or the Force of Nature you had
misread. And such a misreading of the FAQ would have directly
contradicted the previous point. (Although that possibility is why I
gave the two examples I did.)
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Simon Nejmann <snejmann@worldonline.REMOVETHIS.dk> wrote:
>Eon Hub 5 Artifact
>Players skip their upkeep steps.

(Bleah.)

>* The upkeep step is skipped entirely. The turn proceeds from untap
>step to draw step.
>* Upkeep-triggered abilities don't trigger, and "play this ability
>only during your upkeep" abilities can't be played.
>* Any triggered abilities that triggered during the untap step will go
>onto the stack at the start of the draw step.
>
>Does that last point mean that you still have to pay upkeep for your
>Force of Nature?

Well, does that trigger during your UNTAP step?

Force of Nature 2GGGG Creature -- Force
8/8 Trample At the beginning of your upkeep, ~ deals 8 damage to you unless
you pay GGGG.

Doesn't look like it. Looks like this can't trigger at all while Eon Hub is
working.

Mesmeric Orb, with Eon Hub out, has its triggered abilities go on the stack
as draw step starts. With Eon Hub and you affected by Fatigue, they wait and
go on the stack as Main phase starts. Etc.

Dave

TRENDING THREADS