Re-Installing OS

Am working on a friends laptop (don't most problems start this way?) and
after formatting his hard drive I realized that I cannot have the CD and the
Floppy drive actually in the laptop at the same time. OK, so I didn't look
far enough ahead. I use a floppy to install the CD drivers in a virtual drive
and NEVER had this problem with a desktop because, well, you get the picture.
The boot order doesn't give an option for anything except floppy or hard
drive. There is no USB for an external floppy drive. Can I use COPY command
in DOS to copy drivers from floppy to hard drive?

why do you require the floppy drive to fresh install XP?

--
EasyFeelings
A+

"When your computer is working good, That's an EasyFeeling"

Howdy....
I am prompted to choose between with CD support or without and the drivers
for the CD are on the disk....right? like MsCD001 or something like that.
The BIOS doesn't give me another boot option like to boot from CD.
By the way , that's my post 3 posts up so you can tell I have NO idea what
I'm doing.

"EasyFeelings" wrote:

> why do you require the floppy drive to fresh install XP?
>

> --
> EasyFeelings
> A+
> MCP
> MCSA
>
> "When your computer is working good, That's an EasyFeeling"

Bud

"Brothersid" <Brothersid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Am working on a friends laptop (don't most problems start this way?) and
> after formatting his hard drive I realized that I cannot have the CD and
> the
> Floppy drive actually in the laptop at the same time. OK, so I didn't look
> far enough ahead. I use a floppy to install the CD drivers in a virtual
> drive
> and NEVER had this problem with a desktop because, well, you get the
> picture.
> The boot order doesn't give an option for anything except floppy or hard
> drive. There is no USB for an external floppy drive. Can I use COPY
> command
> in DOS to copy drivers from floppy to hard drive?

Couldn't you use the xp boot floppy set? Or is this a recovery disk? You can
get the download to make the floppy disk set here,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994

assuming that you are installing Windows XP , set bios to boot to CD, you
will see "boot from CD press any key", and follow the prompts.

--
EasyFeelings
A+
MCP
MCSA

"When your computer is working good, That's an EasyFeeling"

Um...
Once again, there is no option in the bios to boot from CD. I looked. Seven
times. I thought I may have overlooked it but, nope, not there.