Install disk without disk drive

Hi, I only have windows 7 starter, but I now have a windows vista CD. I would like to install it, but my computer doesn't have a disk drive. How do I do it?
9 answers Last reply
More about install disk disk drive
  1. If you're talking about a desktop I would install a DVD drive first because I would certainly need one eventually. You can buy a DVD burner for under $30 and anybody can install it. If it's a laptop you may be able to use an external drive through the USB port.
  2. ram1009 said:
    If you're talking about a desktop I would install a DVD drive first because I would certainly need one eventually. You can buy a DVD burner for under $30 and anybody can install it. If it's a laptop you may be able to use an external drive through the USB port.

Its a netbook. i dont have the money for an external drive...
  3. You need to get something to install it, if not an external DVD you need to buy a flash drive to create a USB drive setup off the disk. But then again, you need something with a DVD drive to read the files off the Vista CD to create the drive-based installation of it.
  4. Wait, you want to go from Windows 7 to Windows Vista? Why on earth would you do that?
  5. willard said:
    Wait, you want to go from Windows 7 to Windows Vista? Why on earth would you do that?

7 Starter is a bit limited. The path should be 7 Starter to another version of 7, but who knows where he got the Vista from, probably did not have to pay for it.
  6. That's the problem with netbooks, you get what you pay for.

That's why I always recommend a laptop, because your going to have to buy an external dvd drive at some point or your screwed.
  7. geekapproved said:
    That's the problem with netbooks, you get what you pay for.

That's why I always recommend a laptop, because your going to have to buy an external dvd drive at some point or your screwed.

Or a flash drive works just as well...

I have 2 laptops, and I haven't used the inbuilt dvd drive in either of them once... Flash drives work just fine
  8. aaab said:
    Or a flash drive works just as well...

I have 2 laptops, and I haven't used the inbuilt dvd drive in either of them once... Flash drives work just fine

Except that if you have a DVD to use a flash drive won't do you much good unless you have a second PC to transfer the DVD over to the flash drive. Which is what this guy needs. Netbooks are great for a second or third PC, once you got everything on the network or downloadable, no need for the optical drive.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Windows Vista Disk Drive CD-Rom Laptops