Trinket Mage

***
Trinket Mage {2U}
Creature -- Human Wizard 2/2
Fifth Dawn Common
- When Trinket Mage comes into play, you may search your library for an
artifact card with converted mana cost {1} or less, reveal that card, and
put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.
***

Does this mean, if I don't, I don't have to shuffle my library? That is, I
can look at my entire library and see what's next, then not shuffle?

Peter

Hello, Risser!
You wrote on Tue, 25 May 2004 14:54:03 GMT:

RF> ***
RF> Trinket Mage {2U}
RF> Creature -- Human Wizard 2/2
RF> Fifth Dawn Common
RF> - When Trinket Mage comes into play, you may search your library
RF> for an
RF> artifact card with converted mana cost {1} or less, reveal that
RF> card, and
RF> put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.
RF> ***

RF> Does this mean, if I don't, I don't have to shuffle my library?
RF> That is, I
RF> can look at my entire library and see what's next, then not
RF> shuffle?
RF> Peter
Look at the following rule:
419.5b Some abilities read, "Whenever [X], you may [Y]. If you do, [Z]."
The "if you do" clause refers to choosing to do the event Y
In the Trinket Mage case, Y is "search your library for an artifact card
with converted mana cost {1} or less, reveal that card, and put it into
your hand". So you either decide to search (and then Z="shuffle your
library") or decline to search. Whether you searched successfully or
not is not relevant - you *decided* to search.

Regards,
Arkady.

Risser Family wrote:
> ***
> Trinket Mage {2U}
> Creature -- Human Wizard 2/2
> Fifth Dawn Common
> - When Trinket Mage comes into play, you may search your library for an
> artifact card with converted mana cost {1} or less, reveal that card, and
> put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.
> ***
>
> Does this mean, if I don't, I don't have to shuffle my library? That is, I
> can look at my entire library and see what's next, then not shuffle?

I doubt it. "If you do" refers to the searching process, not the
revealing and putting. You can choose not to search your library
(possibly because doing so would negate your carefully stacked Goblin
Charbelcher kill?), or you can search but choose not to find anything,
but in the second case you would shuffle.

--
(Posted from an account used as a SPAM dump. If you really want to get
in touch with me, dump the 'jboes' and substitute 'mur'.)

Jabberwocky

"Risser Family" <news@nospam.com> wrote in message
> ***
> Trinket Mage {2U}
> Creature -- Human Wizard 2/2
> Fifth Dawn Common
> - When Trinket Mage comes into play, you may search your library for an
> artifact card with converted mana cost {1} or less, reveal that card, and
> put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.
> ***
>
> Does this mean, if I don't, I don't have to shuffle my library? That is,
> can look at my entire library and see what's next, then not shuffle?

No, it means you may choose not to search at all, and if you so choose, you
don't shuffle. You may choose to search and find noting, even if there are
valid cards in your library; the card does not say search -thoroughly-. But
if you do search, you must shuffle.

--
JahBerWocky
Good God, He's Lansdellicious!

Risser Family sez:

<<

>***
>Trinket Mage {2U}
>Creature -- Human Wizard 2/2
>Fifth Dawn Common
>- When Trinket Mage comes into play, you may search your library for an
>artifact card with converted mana cost {1} or less, reveal that card, and
>put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.
>***
>
>Does this mean, if I don't, I don't have to shuffle my library? That is, I
>can look at my entire library and see what's next, then not shuffle?

Which is yet another reason why Dave hates "if you do". In this case, "shuffle
your library" happens when you search your library. Note that, under the
current wording, if something happens to replace the search that doesn't cause
you to search your library, you STILL have to shuffle it.

I'd replace the last with "If you searched your library in this way, shuffle
it." Yes, it's bulkier, but it's clearer, too...

----
"If President Bush is going to take credit for 'the invisble hand' [of
economics], then he's going to take the blame when 'the hand' gives him the
finger."
--From Fark.com

Risser Family <news@nospam.com> wrote:
>***
>Trinket Mage {2U}
>Creature -- Human Wizard 2/2
>- When Trinket Mage comes into play, you may search your library for an
>artifact card with converted mana cost {1} or less, reveal that card, and
>put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.
>***
>
>Does this mean, if I don't, I don't have to shuffle my library? That is, I
>can look at my entire library and see what's next, then not shuffle?

No. It means that if you don't _search_, you don't shuffle. If you search, you
have to shuffle. It's legal to "not find" a card of a particular description
that you're searching for in your library (to avoid having to have judges
stand over you to verify it wasn't there), but this means you still searched.

Dave

Risser Family wrote:

> ***
> Trinket Mage {2U}
> Creature -- Human Wizard 2/2
> Fifth Dawn Common
> - When Trinket Mage comes into play, you may search your library for an
> artifact card with converted mana cost {1} or less, reveal that card, and
> put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.
> ***
>
> Does this mean, if I don't, I don't have to shuffle my library?

In fact, it means if you don't, you *can't* shuffle your library. You can't
shuffle your library without a reason, and the card does not instruct you to
shuffle if you don't search.

> That is,
> I can look at my entire library and see what's next, then not shuffle?

Um, no. You have to shuffle if you search, regardless of whether you
actually pull out a card or not. If you don't search, however, you
don't shuffle.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"