Change of control and Comes into play

Hello !

I need a little advice from you clever people...
The question is: Do "Comes into play" effects trigger when the permament
with that ability changes its controller ? Let's say I have a Bone
Shredder in play and my opponent snags it from me with Merieke Ri
Berrit. Does he get to destroy a creature with the Bone Shredder's ability ?
I'd say no, because "comes into play" implies that the permanent has
been in a zone other than "in play" before it can come into play.
Changing control of a permanent in play doesn't make it leave and
re-enter play, so the effect shouldnt trigger.
But the thing is, other players in my group insist that they DO trigger...

M.G.Palmer

Hello, M.G.Palmer!
You wrote on Tue, 25 May 2004 16:58:13 +0200:

MP> Hello !

MP> I need a little advice from you clever people...
MP> The question is: Do "Comes into play" effects trigger when the
MP> permament
MP> with that ability changes its controller ?

Here is a glossary entry for "comes into play":
Comes into Play

A permanent comes into play when the card or token representing it is
moved into the in-play zone. A permanent whose type or controller
changes doesn't "come into play."
Hopefully this clears the confusion...

Regards,
Arkady.

Jabberwocky

"M.G.Palmer" <SatoshiUrotsukidoji@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hello !
>
> I need a little advice from you clever people...
> The question is: Do "Comes into play" effects trigger when the permament
> with that ability changes its controller ?
Generally, no. Note that the creature will be summon sick, however. I can
think of a couple ways where a change of controller would cause CiP's, but
the change of controller is not the primary reason for that happening.
Anyone know what I mean?

> Let's say I have a Bone
> Shredder in play and my opponent snags it from me with Merieke Ri
> Berrit. Does he get to destroy a creature with the Bone Shredder's ability
?
> I'd say no, because "comes into play" implies that the permanent has
> been in a zone other than "in play" before it can come into play.
> Changing control of a permanent in play doesn't make it leave and
> re-enter play, so the effect shouldnt trigger.
Exactly. And you said you needed advice...

> But the thing is, other players in my group insist that they DO trigger...

Well they're wrong, and you're right.

--
JahBerWocky
Good God, He's Lansdellicious!

On Tue, 25 May 2004, M.G.Palmer wrote:

> Hello !
>
> I need a little advice from you clever people...
> The question is: Do "Comes into play" effects trigger when the permament
> with that ability changes its controller ?

"When <foo> comes into play ..." triggers on <foo> comming into play,
being the target of a spell or you touching your left foot with your
right hand while standing on your head, if you know what I mean :)

--

David

M.G.Palmer sez:

<<
>The question is: Do "Comes into play" effects trigger when the permament
>with that ability changes its controller ?

I'll answer your question with a question: Did the permanent come into play
when it changed controllers? The answer to that is the answer to this.

Cryptic enough for ya? :)

----
"If President Bush is going to take credit for 'the invisble hand' [of
economics], then he's going to take the blame when 'the hand' gives him the
finger."
--From Fark.com

Andy Jakcsy, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> M.G.Palmer sez:
>
> <<
> >The question is: Do "Comes into play" effects trigger when the permament
> >with that ability changes its controller ?
> >

> I'll answer your question with a question: Did the permanent come into play
> when it changed controllers? The answer to that is the answer to this.
>
> Cryptic enough for ya? :)

It might be - this is precisely what many players who ask this sort of
question are confused about.

(For the original poster's benefit, the answer is no - changing
controlers does not involve the permanent leaving play then coming back
into play, it remains in play the whole time. Therefore "comes into
play" triggers do not happen.)

M.G.Palmer <SatoshiUrotsukidoji@gmx.de> wrote:
>I need a little advice from you clever people...
>The question is: Do "Comes into play" effects trigger when the permament
>with that ability changes its controller?

Nope. Nothing came into play; nothing left play. Something in play changed
who controls it.

The in-play zone is one zone. It has separate sections or areas for each
player's stuff... but it's all one zone.

>Let's say I have a Bone
>Shredder in play and my opponent snags it from me with Merieke Ri
>Berrit. Does he get to destroy a creature with the Bone Shredder's ability ?

Nope.

>I'd say no, because "comes into play" implies that the permanent has
>been in a zone other than "in play" before it can come into play.

Right.

>Changing control of a permanent in play doesn't make it leave and
>re-enter play, so the effect shouldnt trigger.
>But the thing is, other players in my group insist that they DO trigger...

The other players in your group are incorrect; they probably all learned this
from the same one person who'd got it wrong, I'm willing to bet. Changing
control of a permanent in play doesn't cause anything to trigger that would
trigger when the permanent comes into play; as you note, the permanent has to
have been in some OTHER zone first to get that to work (and even then the
phased-out zone doesn't count).

Dave

Jabberwocky <thunderjedi@theforce.bb> wrote:
>"M.G.Palmer" <SatoshiUrotsukidoji@gmx.de> wrote in message
>> I need a little advice from you clever people...
>> The question is: Do "Comes into play" effects trigger when the permament
>> with that ability changes its controller ?
>Generally, no. Note that the creature will be summon sick, however. I can
>think of a couple ways where a change of controller would cause CiP's, but
>the change of controller is not the primary reason for that happening.
>Anyone know what I mean?

Sure - if it's changing controllers because something -else- came into play,
such as a Treachery, that itself had a CIP triggered ability. The Treachery's
CIP ability can trigger off of this, but the stolen creature's can't.

Dave

Well thanks everybody. I was pretty sure about this but couldnt convince
my fellow players...Now I've got some third-party opinions. That'll show
'em :)

M.G.Palmer