Equipment and the stack

Howdy,

Just playing a game here with my son. I played Rhox and once it
resolved I moved Lightning Greaves from another card in play onto
Rhox. He then played Terror on my Rhox to destroy it.

Question: Is this allowable? The boots make Rhox untargetable, but has
the activate ability of the boots resolved yet, or does this not apply
when equipping?

ta

Gus

Biggus Dickus <biggus@home.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Just playing a game here with my son. I played Rhox and once it
> resolved I moved Lightning Greaves from another card in play onto
> Rhox. He then played Terror on my Rhox to destroy it.
>
> Question: Is this allowable? The boots make Rhox untargetable, but has
> the activate ability of the boots resolved yet, or does this not apply
> when equipping?

Why would your opponent not be able to respond to the equip ability with
Terror?

502.33. Equip

502.33a Equip is an activated ability of artifact Equipment cards. The
phrase "Equip [cost]" means "[cost]: Move this Equipment onto target
creature you control. Play this ability only any time you could play a
sorcery."

502.33b For more information about Equipment, see rule 212.2,
"Artifacts."

502.33c If an artifact has multiple instances of equip, any of its equip
abilities may be used.

408.1e When a spell is played, it goes on top of the stack. When an
activated ability is played, it goes on top of the stack.

Mana abilities are an exception to 408.1e. Equip is not.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Biggus Dickus <biggus@home.com> writes:
> Just playing a game here with my son. I played Rhox and once it
> resolved I moved Lightning Greaves from another card in play onto
> Rhox. He then played Terror on my Rhox to destroy it.
>
> Question: Is this allowable? The boots make Rhox untargetable, but has
> the activate ability of the boots resolved yet, or does this not apply
> when equipping?

What I think you're asking, is "Can a player play an instant in
response to the equip ability?". The answer is yes. You can play
instants in response to pretty much anything except mana
abilities. The Greaves doesn't get attached to the Rhox until the
equip ability resolves, so a Terror played in response will resolve
first. Then, when the equip ability tries to resolve, it finds that it
has an illegal target (as it's no longer there) so it gets countered.

There's really nothing specific to equipping going on here. A Terror
played in response to a Robe of Mirrors (Enchant Creature; Enchanted
creature can't be the target of spells or abilities.) works the same
way: The Terror kills the creature, and then the Robe of Mirrors gets
countered.

Please post again if this (and/or the other responses) don't answer
your question or if you have more questions.

--
Peter C.
"Timeline? This is no time to talk about time. We don't have the time!"

On Fri, 28 May 2004 05:18:58 +1000, Biggus Dickus <biggus@home.com> wrote:
>Just playing a game here with my son. I played Rhox and once it
>resolved I moved Lightning Greaves from another card in play onto
>Rhox. He then played Terror on my Rhox to destroy it.
>
>Question: Is this allowable? The boots make Rhox untargetable, but has
>the activate ability of the boots resolved yet, or does this not apply
>when equipping?

The Greaves only have one activated ability: their Equip ability. That's not
a mana ability, so it does use the stack and can be responded to. If you
respond to something, you're doing so before it resolves and takes effect...
so if you respond to Equip, the Equip hasn't resolved yet, and thus hasn't
moved the Greaves onto the Rhox. [...Funny, I'm suddenly getting Dr. Seuss
flashes and I don't know why.]

The Greaves' "Equipped creature can't be the target of spells or abilities" is
a static ability, which has a continuous effect on the equipped creature. But
before the Equip resolves, the Rhox isn't the equipped creature yet, so is
not yet unable to be such a target... so yes, you can respond to Equipping the
Rhox with the Greaves by Terroring the Rhox.

If you do this, the Rhox will be missing when the Equip tries to resolve, and
since that use of Equip targetted the Rhox, this means that use of Equip gets
countered... and the Greaves stay wherever they were before.

Dave